Carb sync.....help!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Rodders

Carb sync.....help!

Post by Rodders »

Hey all.... am new member on forum and will do intro have been using knowledge from here for a while but never signed up, finally got around to doing it and now I need to pick your brains!!?
Have 2001 vtr1000 firestorm.... I just installed the manual cam chain adjusters had a pain with choke cable and broke the plastic collar....$50 later replaced small piece.
Bike all back together and running... gasp I did that!! :o
So questions I have:
How much increase in rpm should choke make when on or off? I have feeling it's not working now as don't see any difference and sure I used to.

Also I am trying to sync carbs.... how the hell are u supposed to get to adjuster??? I just about managed but when turn it doesn't seem to make any difference to the gauge and they are quite far apart??? What am I doing wrong ????

Thanks for any help!
Adam
Picture of gauges
Picture of gauges
image1.JPG (2.33 MiB) Viewed 1333 times
MacV2

Re: Carb sync.....help!

Post by MacV2 »

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Time to take it all apart again. The mechanism that adjusts the carbs was tight on mine so undoing the screw made no difference. I could just get to it with a screwdriver and pry the arms apart but it was easier once I'd loosened it off and cleaned it up a bit.

A carb pilot screw tool was handy for getting at the adjuster screw.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.Follow the instructions above. :thumbup: :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

freeridenick wrote:Time to take it all apart again. The mechanism that adjusts the carbs was tight on mine so undoing the screw made no difference. I could just get to it with a screwdriver and pry the arms apart but it was easier once I'd loosened it off and cleaned it up a bit.

A carb pilot screw tool was handy for getting at the adjuster screw.
exactly right. if you don't get any change in reading when you move the screw, the linkage is seized. WD40 and some manipulation will get it working
AMcQ
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Thanks guys will have a look at the linkage... I had read the carb adjust article a few times and that's why was questioning the effect of choke cable and also why didn't seem to be having any effect.
Is the variance in the reads a normal difference or pretty regular?
Will have another go at it next set of days off....
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

If the linkage has seized I'm not surprised they're that much out.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Ok so got up early from night shift and did some tinkering..... if I pull choke in or out makes no difference to idle tone or rpm so am thinking have done something with that when putting back together.
Starts fine so ma thinking choke must be stuck in on position??

I oiled the adjustment thing on left side of bike and went from fully screwed in to fully screwed out... no change at all... the screw part is moving and spring is.. from looking at it I can't really understand how it works or what it adjusts??

Sorry for all the questions am getting to frustrated point!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Take off tank, remove airbox, you can then see the choke cable routing.
Don't snap the plastic elbows which are threaded into the carbs.
Then you'll be able to understand it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

one of mine done the same and it turned out the front choke wasnt turning of completly..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Ok so had some time and took carb in.... getting pretty fast at removing it now!!! :D :D :D

Any way the big spring behind the adjuster, the hook had come off the adjuster... must have knocked it off when took it apart... re attached so hopefully that fixes the adjustment problem.

Took the choke cable off to inspect, I replaced one of the plastic nuts as broke it when removing it, when I pull and push the choke on and off the metal parts with point On that go into carb ( fcuk im all about the technical descriptions!!) don't move if I pull on them they move and will retract when pull choke on but don't come out when close it... should they do that??? Have oiled the bejesus out of them seems like play in cable or something???? Do I need one cable? Or does the pressure in the carb suck them out into place when it's starting???

I hope that makes sense technical stuff was never my best point!!!
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Fixed! And balanced and running great!

I'm am embarrassed to admit that it was totally my fault! I put the choke back together wrong, put spring inthe wrong place and that was causing the problem.

Thanks for the advice and help! Just got to finish plumbing in my new braided brake and clutch lines and get out on it!!
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Glad you found the problem and were honest enough to take the responsibility :lol: