Water Gauge

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Stratman

Water Gauge

Post by Stratman »

My water temp gauge has never moved a lot, but it isn't working properly now. I did remove the wires from the back, clean the contacts etc and also cleaned the connections the thermistor at the radiator end, but no change.
Today was warm and I noticed in slow town running, stopped at the lights, the needle moved to nearly half way, then fell back. If I blipped the throttle it went back up again. When running, just past the cold mark. Hoses getting hot so I know coolant is flowing.
Question is - is this likely to be the gauge or the sender? Easy enough to replace both but I could save myself a few pounds by replacing just the one part.
If I put 12v across the gauge wires and it goes up to H then can I assume it is working OK and it's the thermistor?
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

macdee

Re: Water Gauge

Post by macdee »

i have a gauge on a smashed set of clocks you can have
that might clear that side of things
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Seems normal
Stratman wrote:My water temp gauge has never moved a lot, but it isn't working properly now. I did remove the wires from the back, clean the contacts etc and also cleaned the connections the thermistor at the radiator end, but no change.
Today was warm and I noticed in slow town running, stopped at the lights, the needle moved to nearly half way, then fell back. If I blipped the throttle it went back up again. When running, just past the cold mark. Hoses getting hot so I know coolant is flowing.
Question is - is this likely to be the gauge or the sender? Easy enough to replace both but I could save myself a few pounds by replacing just the one part.
If I put 12v across the gauge wires and it goes up to H then can I assume it is working OK and it's the thermistor?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Macdee sent me a replacement gauge and I eventually got round to fitting it - no difference, so I replaced the temperature sender on the thermostat housing and that has done the trick.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

macdee

Post by macdee »

Good to hear you got it sorted
told you not to but oh no you knew better
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Stratman wrote:Macdee sent me a replacement gauge and I eventually got round to fitting it - no difference, so I replaced the temperature sender on the thermostat housing and that has done the trick.
I was just about to suggest that very thing.... another thing to watch for is the wire (which attaches to the sending unit) coming loose.....

Glad it's fixed, now it's time to ride and enjoy!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

If it's clear - yellow alls ok .
If it's brown and smells like sugar puffs = see doctor