Engine tapping noise

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Paultandy

Engine tapping noise

Post by Paultandy »

I rode my bike home from work this morning and when i got home I noticed a slight tapping noise 8O on the front head I think. it's not bad or too loud . So put the bike away till I got up as i work nights and just started it up again and no tapping noise for 2 to 3 minutes then it cum back and i could hear it again :eek2 . I just ad a quick look at it and noticed the mcct on the front was finger tight and the locking nut was loose :problem: .can this be the problem ? Or what could it be all help would be appreciated thanks
:beer: I drink beer like my bike drinks petrol :beer:
MacV2

Re: Engine tapping noise

Post by MacV2 »

Paultandy wrote:I road my bike home from work this morning and when i got home I noticed a slight tapping noise 8O on the front head I think. it's not bad or to loud . So put the bike away till I got up as i work nights and just started it up again and no tapping noise for 2 to 3 minutes then it cum back and i could here it again :eek2 . I just ad a quick look at it and noticed the mcct on the front was finger tight and the locking nut wos loose :problem: .can this be the problem ? Or what could it be all help would be appreciated thanks
If the lock nut is loose it may have backed out a bit...Try winding in the CCT 1/4 turn to see if the ticking goes away, you may have to back off the lock nut a few turns to give you room...If you go to tight it will squeal on start up so back it out...When happy with position then do up the lock nut & this time use some locktite...check the rear while your at it...

Of course if you want to be 100% stip it all down as if fitting CCT for first time & check the deflection on the chain 6-7mm up down...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

you have had a very lucky escape :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Indeed Lucky escape but don't use loctite / threadlock. I don't know why folk suggest loctite as it goes hard and brittle especially in the cold, cracks up and falls apart just like super glue. Use either some gasket sealant or a heat resistant silicone. It wouldst surprise me if it was some kind of loctite used before and that is the reason it's worked loose. The same with Gun Gum on exhausts...that does the same. Use heat resistant silicone. Great marketing on Loctite products though. :roll:
==============================Enter the Darkside
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

or....use another nut on top of the adjuster/lock nut. That way, the nut closest to the CCT cannot unwind again, as it meets the resistance of the one on top!

Then, if you need to adjust, slacken off the top one a few turns, adjust original lock nut, tighten, and then tighten the above nut again. :thumbup:

If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
Paultandy

Post by Paultandy »

Yes i think i will be definitely doing that i was thinking of putting a locking nut on. I will have a play with it on Saturday and hopefully it is just the cct and nothing serious
macdee

Post by macdee »

Lucky you cought that one in time
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Paultandy

Post by Paultandy »

I've just put a video on of my bike running could you please have a look n tell me what you think does it sound ok I've given the ccm tensioner a1/4th of a turn I don't know if I can hear tensioner screaming or not as it's first time I've done one any help would be appreciated
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Sounds ok to me. Look & listen to vtr's on you tube,they all make the whining noise.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN