Battery

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
cotgrave

Battery

Post by cotgrave »

So yesterday i went to work, started at 12 pm and finshed at 8pm when i ttied to start her she turned over but didnt fire up. Now i tried again and the baterry died, this was after one attempt to start not several, at first you could tell it was turning over with plenty of batery life.

The question is simple is this the signs of needing a new battery ir is it just the cold draining it?

I have a trickle charger but its indication is the battery holds its charge fine and it on every night for about 10 hrs.
VTR Phoenix

Re: Battery

Post by VTR Phoenix »

Stick the battery on charge, put back on bike and start it. Test your charging to the battery with a multimeter. This will tell you if there is an issue with the stator or RR. If all is good then I would say one or more of your cells are fuxed and the battery needs replacing. A way to test the battery is hook it up to a multimeter and see what the drop is when you try to start the bike, if it drops below 10v then definitely replace, also if left to sit if the holding charge drops below 12.6v then this is another sign your battery is probably knackered.
If it aint broke, get your bloody hands off it!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

also check the connection on the starter motor, pull nack the rubber cover and check it, they can get badly corroded, every few months i check mine and smear grease onto it before refitting the rubber boot
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

And check the earth connection to the Frame, the Circuit needs to be good and clean. Check the charge with the bike running and rev it up slightly. ( most people see if the lights brighten up against a wall etc) the revs should rise up a bit to about 13.6 v.
Batterys can only be properly tested with a Heavy Discharge tester. Halfords will do you a free test in there large stores. There battery are good 2 with 2 years warranty.

Be in charge, or your charge Happy New Year :D
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

VTR Phoenix wrote:Stick the battery on charge, put back on bike and start it. Test your charging to the battery with a multimeter. This will tell you if there is an issue with the stator or RR. If all is good then I would say one or more of your cells are fuxed and the battery needs replacing. A way to test the battery is hook it up to a multimeter and see what the drop is when you try to start the bike, if it drops below 10v then definitely replace, also if left to sit if the holding charge drops below 12.6v then this is another sign your battery is probably knackered.
With the engine running and lights turned off you should be getting between 13.5 and 15.5 volts showing on a multi-meter at the battery terminals.

Has your bike got a finned rectifier (location in behind the seat fairing/plastic's on the rear brake pedal side) :?: if not worth giving it a visual look over,

Chris.
cotgrave

Post by cotgrave »

Thanks all will follw advice and keep you informed
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cotgrave wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:04 pm Thanks all will follw advice and keep you informed
So what happened :?: :)

Chris.