Starter Motor

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
parkergb6

Starter Motor

Post by parkergb6 »

Just an Info Post at the minute for those who may be suffering starting issues. Over last few months had problems starting the storm and was getting more and more frustrated:
Symptons:
Very Sluggish and constantly turning over until either battery dies or bike starts, if I applied ANY throttle at all or applied choke it would completely refuse to turn over which doesnt sit with an electrical problem. Once running no issues ticked over lovely and ran fine UNTIL you came to a stop. Any journey of more than 15 minutes and then the bike would not start ie would very sluggishly try to turn over.
In both scenarios as soon as I connected jump leads from a running car etc the bike would fire up and run fine.

Everything was screaming at me Battery so I ordered a Motobatt MBTX12U 14Ah 200CCA and lo and behold same issues (internal screaming)
Had already done and checked the following before ordering battery:
1. Bike reguarly connected to Optimate
2. New Battery (previously a known good standard Yuasa)
3. MCCTs fitted as soon as I got the replacement bike for my crashed one (post elsewhere on here regards front cylinder rebuild and timing marks etc)
4. No corrosion on Starter motor terminal
5. Continuity on the large cables connecting battery etc to starter relay and fuse was intact
6. Used flow chart to test charging system and all good (currently finned RR all be it cheaper version from CG125 I believe)
7. The issue of the starter sparg clutch didnt seem to fit (although stand to be corrected)
8. Have considered if I have over tightened MCCTs and when hot expanding chain etc however how will that affect cold start problems

Felt like banging by head on the wall. Then the boy comes along and says "Dad why dont you just swap parts over from your other one" Being a stubborn git and "Knowing better" I dont listen. Unbeknown to me off he pops to garage and removes the starter motor from my crashed storm (new front end to go on already brought of off MAC)
He comes trotting back and hands me starter motor.
So grudgingly I fit it, not expecting much and boom turns over with every but of gusto yoiud expect and fires up from cold after a few attempts.
Bloody hell time to eat humble pie. Take the bike for a run and all seems good, starts when hot no hestitation and no apparent problems. Got to check out what appears to be a rattling noise occasionally when starting but apart from that finger crossed.

Ordered a CB900 starter motor from ebay,looks all shiny starter for £20. Also worth noting seemed to find some rebuild kits whilst trying to find another starter. Can find link if people are interetsed.

Anyhow thought Id post this up if not for a laugh then perhaps it may help some one who like me was so fixated and convinced the problem was elsewhere that they overlook a potentially simple fix.
MacV2

Re: Starter Motor

Post by MacV2 »

Woohoo good work that Son... :thumbup:

Enjoy the humble pie...best served with custard IMO... :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
macdee

Post by macdee »

Nice one son
I tend to do the same thing usually walk away and have a break for a while seems to help
told you not to but oh no you knew better
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

You must have trained your Son well :wink:

Well done to your Son, top man :thumbup:

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

The obvious usually escapes you in these situations.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

alanfjones1411 wrote:The obvious usually escapes you in these situations.

What? That the Sons the brains of the operation ?

Sorry Geoff....hehehehe
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!