I've got a wobble on

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
john306

I've got a wobble on

Post by john306 »

Since owning bike I've never been too confident getting the bike over in bends due to what I can only describe as a slight wobble through the bike itself.
I'd put it down to the 10 year old tryes on it, not worn just bike not been used in years.

I got both wheels powder coated and fitted new wheel and sprocket bearings and had 2 new tyres fitted.
While out this morning it's still happening, even though I'm still taking it easy due to the new tyres. I enter and exit bends and get a slight wobble which is most offputting to say the least. Accelerating and breaking hard gives no problems.

Any advice as to the best places to start stripping down as I won't be using it much over the winter.
One of my projects next on list was to strip and grease the swingarm, could anything there be the problem?
On a stand there is no movement at all grabbing the tyres and trying to rock the wheels side to side at various points.
Thanks for any info.
MacV2

Re: I've got a wobble on

Post by MacV2 »

Head bearings..?

Always worth stripping & checking the rear linkages any way.

Has the bike got a massive shock spacer on it...should be max of 6mm only. Have a look at the top of the shock, peer in through the side of the bike, as standard the top shock mount should be touching the frame. If it has a spacer in there you will see it quite clearly.

Or the forks pulled through the yokes. As standard the top of the forks should be level with the top of the clip on. If it's been pulled through (up...therefore lowering the front...) there will be fork showing above the clipon...5mm max is advised...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Tyre pressures?

headbearings? Too tight / too loose

Engine mounts? Esp as the engine is intergral part of the frame.

Swing arm bearings?

Suspension shagged?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Head bearing as first check, then if the trident work then adjust the damping on the forks, make a big adjustment to see if it has any effect, i.e. go for almost fully in. then if that stores the wobble, then adjust back towards your original setting
AMcQ
john306

Post by john306 »

MacV2 wrote:Head bearings..?

Always worth stripping & checking the rear linkages any way.

Has the bike got a massive shock spacer on it...should be max of 6mm only. Have a look at the top of the shock, peer in through the side of the bike, as standard the top shock mount should be touching the frame. If it has a spacer in there you will see it quite clearly.

Or the forks pulled through the yokes. As standard the top of the forks should be level with the top of the clip on. If it's been pulled through (up...therefore lowering the front...) there will be fork showing above the clipon...5mm max is advised...
I can't see anything looking in, could there not be one on?
Also the shock is set to the lowest setting (looking in through frame).
Last edited by john306 on Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john306

Post by john306 »

Wicky wrote:Tyre pressures?

headbearings? Too tight / too loose

Engine mounts? Esp as the engine is intergral part of the frame.

Swing arm bearings?

Suspension shagged?
Cheers
I'll work my way through that lot, only thing I'm certain of is the tyre pressures are spot on.
john306

Post by john306 »

AMCQ46 wrote:Head bearing as first check, then if the trident work then adjust the damping on the forks, make a big adjustment to see if it has any effect, i.e. go for almost fully in. then if that stores the wobble, then adjust back towards your original setting
Ok thanks, all the possible causes mentioned should keep me busy :D
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Also the shock is set to the lowest setting (looking in through frame).
There's also the little screw adjustment for rebound right on the bottom of the shock right hand side of bike.

This may be of some help when it comes to setting up suspension thanks to Pete. It's the most informative post he's ever written :lol:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... on#p352880
==============================Enter the Darkside
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

Check that your front brake disks aren't warped.

Al.
john306

Post by john306 »

cybercarl wrote:There's also the little screw adjustment for rebound right on the bottom of the shock right hand side of bike.

This may be of some help when it comes to setting up suspension thanks to Pete. It's the most informative post he's ever written :lol:
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... on#p352880

Thanks carl that's something else to read up on :thumbup:

firestorm_al wrote:Check that your front brake disks aren't warped.

Al.
Disks seem fine, it's mainly bends that it happens, sort of a combination between a wobble through the bike and feeling like something is loose, straight line accelerating/brakeing is fine.
john306

Post by john306 »

I managed to get out for the 1st time this week.
I previously jacked the bike up and tried to see if there was any movement in head bearings, non detected although they could be too tight but bars turn free enough with no notching.
I tried various settings on the fork dampers but during the ride the wobble was still there.
Tyre pressures all ok at 36 front and 42 rear.

I'll eventually work my way through everthing else that was mentioned, but 1st think I'll just read up get the head bearings changed for now.
Cheers
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

john306 wrote:I managed to get out for the 1st time this week.
I previously jacked the bike up and tried to see if there was any movement in head bearings, non detected although they could be too tight but bars turn free enough with no notching.
I tried various settings on the fork dampers but during the ride the wobble was still there.

I'll eventually work my way through everthing else that was mentioned, but 1st think I'll just read up get the head bearings changed for now.
Cheers
If you're going to replace the steering head bearings, you just as well replace them with taper roller bearings, although don't use the recommended torque settings for standard s/head bearings, as those are for original OEM ball bearings type.

All Balls in this link will do the job:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-BALLS-STE ... SwPe1T~zLd

It might pay you to have a look at yours first, you may find a previous owner has already changed them for taper roller bearings, in which case I doubt they'll be worn out,

Chris.

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

john306 wrote:I managed to get out for the 1st time this week.

Cheers
maybe a bit of a curved ball. but iv tried those tyre pressures, and on long sweepers when im giving it a little it was like riding a sofa. the wiggle started at the front and worked the length of the bike. i settled on 32f 34r and its a lot better, infact a different bike to ride.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
john306

Post by john306 »

sirch345 wrote: If you're going to replace the steering head bearings, you just as well replace them with taper roller bearings, although don't use the recommended torque settings for standard s/head bearings, as those are for original OEM ball bearings type.

All Balls in this link will do the job:-
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALL-BALLS-STE ... SwPe1T~zLd

It might pay you to have a look at yours first, you may find a previous owner has already changed them for taper roller bearings, in which case I doubt they'll be worn out,

Chris.

Chris.
I'm sure it was mentioned they have taper head bearings already fitted. Will these generally last years and years then considering the bike has covered very very little mileage over the last 10 years?
john306

Post by john306 »

fabiostar wrote: maybe a bit of a curved ball. but iv tried those tyre pressures, and on long sweepers when im giving it a little it was like riding a sofa. the wiggle started at the front and worked the length of the bike. i settled on 32f 34r and its a lot better, infact a different bike to ride.
Ok thanks, I'll try a lower pressure and see what happens :thumbup: