Engine leak

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
StormingHonda

Engine leak

Post by StormingHonda »

Long story short.

Bought a 2001 Fireblade last week, I knew the stator was leaking, but couldn't really see anything to cause it.

Got the bike home and stripped off the fairing and today done a oil and filter change and changed the gasket on the stator, I noticed that some time in the past the engine has had some damage and has been welded up, so I am guessing that a gasket isn't going to cure the leak ( obviously ).

If I applied RTV as a new gasket ( instead of paper gasket ) would it fix the leak, is it worth trying.
tony.mon

Re: Engine leak

Post by tony.mon »

If there are high spots, you can of course dress them back to flat.
If there are low spots, suggest you fill them with two-part liquid metal and then sand back to a flat surface.
The you can use a normal gasket every time from then on.

I had to do that on storm engine a while back where I had levered against the waterpump gasket face trying to squeeze it into the frame without slackening the adjusters.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Not this one?

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Cheers Tony, I might try making a gasket with RTV, unless you think its not going to work at all.

And Wicky, :lol: Nah you really have to look to see where the engines been welded.

Seems like a common thing on Blades, no wonder theres engine bungs fitted on the bike now :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

That was on FB (Im?)Practical Sportsbikes last week as a 'do I / don't I buy' - The verdict was walk/run away/offer £50... :D
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Well......Atleast its not leaking like mine :D
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Just to let everyone know who was interested in this thread, that I took the stator cover off and inspect it for cracks all looked good and fine, then made sure the face of the engine was clean and rubbed down with a very fine bit of sanding paper on high spots, basically cleaned the hell out of it.

I then used Loctite copper gasket maker and let it cure over night, this morning I reintroduced oil ( old but new ) using a filter funnel fired bike up and no leaks let the bike warm up to 85 and then let it cool back down, still no leaks.

Fingers crossed I wont need to take the cover off for a few years, because thats going to be an hour clean up :lol:

I posted this because I know how annoying it is when someone asks for help, fixes problem and then doesn't let anyone know how it panned out.

Cheers for help, even if Wicky was taking the pi$$ :thumbup:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

StormingHonda wrote:
:confused

StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

Wicky wrote:
StormingHonda wrote:
You know your harder work than a women :wink:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

StormingHonda wrote:
Wicky wrote:
StormingHonda wrote:
You know your harder work than a women :wink:
Look you said you'd just bought a Fireblade with a leaky alternator - That Fireblade I pictured had been up for sale in the week prior. The prospective buyer had posted the pics on the Practical Sportsbike group looking for counsel on wether it was worth buying and repairing due to the damage/repair around the alternator. I dug back through FB and just wondered if you'd bought the same bike with the same apparent problem. I'm puzzled quite how you perceived that as "taking the piss" and now you're digging yourself into a deeper hole with your latest comment.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I blame PMS ........ :lol:
AMcQ
StormingHonda

Post by StormingHonda »

look at my original post Wicky, I specifically stated a 2001 Fireblade, you posted up a picture of a pre injection Fireblade which is in Urban tiger form which is going to be a much earlier carbed Fireblade, which is why I thought you was taking the piss, which I took as a joke.

So I am not digging a hole, your now just making something out of nothing and in honesty making yourself look silly.