Stalling - Is it the reg or fan?!!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
kjom71

Stalling - Is it the reg or fan?!!

Post by kjom71 »

I've recently replaced my standard battery with a lithium battery on my 2003 VTR and an old problem has resurfaced - the dreaded stall at the traffic lights!!

The bike used to stall occasionally while idling at the lights when I first bought it a couple of years ago (with no lights or instrument indication after the stall with key on) but for some reason the problem disappeared.

That was until I replaced the battery with the lithium unit. The bike is running VERY well other than the stalling issue which seems to only occur when the temperature is over 103 degrees and at idle.

I've tested the battery and regulator (below 103 degrees operating temp) as recommended in the guides on this site and everything was within tolerances so I'm at a bit of a loss.

I have a suspicion that when the cooling fan kicks in it is drawing too much load and causing the stall somehow.

I'm tempted to just replace the reg and be done with it as I'm aware of their issues on this type but I'm hoping to narrow down the problem before wasting hard cash on a maybe fix.

Anyone out there got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
VTRDark

Re: Stalling - Is it the reg or fan?!!

Post by VTRDark »

I have a suspicion that when the cooling fan kicks in it is drawing too much load and causing the stall somehow.
I think you may find that is a symptom of the cause. The cause more likely to be a fuelling/tuning issue. More load may cause a slight drop in revs which then causes the stall.
I'm hoping to narrow down the problem before wasting hard cash on a maybe fix.
Start with balancing the carbs, adjusting the TPS etc. All free to play with.

Welcome to the forum :beer:

See the read me below for more info :thumbup:

(:-})

==============================Enter the Darkside
carmanbikes

Post by carmanbikes »

If the stalling is happening after a battery change and when the bike stalls there are no dash lights I would check the earths on the battery, Make sure they are clean and tight
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Raise the idle a notch...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Stratman

Post by Stratman »

Never known my fans to cut in, except when I have left her idling on the drive for ages to check that they work.
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

kjom71 wrote:
The bike used to stall occasionally while idling at the lights when I first bought it a couple of years ago (with no lights or instrument indication after the stall with key on) but for some reason the problem disappeared.
Has the problem returned with no lights or instrument indication after the stall with key on, or is it just the stalling problem which has returned and the lights and instrument indication are staying on this time :?:

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Chris.
kjom71

Post by kjom71 »

Thanks for the replies everyone! Much appreciated. Great to see some like-minded souls out there.

I've checked everything obvious like loose earths, voltage drops under load etc and nothing comes up.

Chris, the problem has returned with no dash lights or instrument indications after the stall with the key. I can't restart unless I switch the key off then on again. A little frustrating when in traffic! This makes me think something is triggering the HISS to completely kill the electrical system until I reset it by turning the key to off then on again.

If it was simply stalling due to engine idle issues or the like I should still have instrument indications. Agreed?

Thanks again for the comments folks!
rollingthunderx2

Post by rollingthunderx2 »

This may be obvious, but try spraying some switch / brake cleaner into the ignition lock,. or substitute for another.
And don't use WD40 on electrical connectors, use ACF50 instead.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

kjom71 wrote: Chris, the problem has returned with no dash lights or instrument indications after the stall with the key. I can't restart unless I switch the key off then on again. A little frustrating when in traffic! This makes me think something is triggering the HISS to completely kill the electrical system until I reset it by turning the key to off then on again.

If it was simply stalling due to engine idle issues or the like I should still have instrument indications. Agreed?

Thanks again for the comments folks!
Yes I agree, it certainly sounds like there's a bit more going on here than just the standard issues that can cause the bike to stall. As you say, if it was a simple stall you should still have the instrument indications working I would have thought, although I can't speak from experience as my bike is pre-HISS system.

A bit of a long shot I know, but I don't suppose you could revert back to the original type of battery to see if the problem still persists?

If you've not already I would check the voltage at the battery terminals when running, also check the alternator out,

Chris.
kjom71

Post by kjom71 »

Chris, no chance of fitting the old battery - it's long gone. I did have the same problem with the old battery though.

I've run most of the standard diagnostic checks on the elec system after fitting the new battery and all appeared normal.

One thing did occur to me though - the stall almost always happens with the clutch in. Maybe a faulty clutch switch? I seem to recall the clutch switch was possibly on a similar circuit to the stand cut-out? Can't be sure but might be the next thing to test.

Thanks for your thoughts Chris!

Cheers.
templ8

Post by templ8 »

The clutch switch is part of the side stand cut off circuit, could be a dodgy side stand switch too.
macdee

Post by macdee »

what type of R/R is fitted to the bike
check the voltage when at rest and then when the bike is running 8)
told you not to but oh no you knew better
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

kjom71 wrote:Chris, no chance of fitting the old battery - it's long gone. I did have the same problem with the old battery though.

I've run most of the standard diagnostic checks on the elec system after fitting the new battery and all appeared normal.

One thing did occur to me though - the stall almost always happens with the clutch in. Maybe a faulty clutch switch? I seem to recall the clutch switch was possibly on a similar circuit to the stand cut-out? Can't be sure but might be the next thing to test.

Thanks for your thoughts Chris!

Cheers.
templ8 wrote:The clutch switches is part of the side stand cut off circuit, could be a dodgy side stand switch too.
I agree, both clutch and side stand switches a good idea to check them out.

This link here below gives advice on side stand switch problem, also a wiring diagram showing how to bypass the side stand switch for testing purposes. It might be worth you Kjom reading through the link:- http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7275

Chris.
Watty

Post by Watty »

Stratman wrote:Never known my fans to cut in, except when I have left her idling on the drive for ages to check that they work.
+1
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
kjom71

Post by kjom71 »

Ok, thanks Guys,

Time to check out the stand and clutch switch.

Took it out for a quick ride yesterday and she didn't miss a beat (no stalls) although the engine temp stayed well below 100.

Makes me think this is still temperature related but I'll have a look at the clutch and stand switches anyway to rule them out.

Thanks for the link.