New Bike, Seized Engine, CCT?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mightyscotspine

New Bike, Seized Engine, CCT?

Post by mightyscotspine »

Hi All,

I have just bought a spare and repairs vtr, which wouldn't start. Came with a new starter motor which I have fitted. Still no joy. Tried moving the bike in 5th, clutch out and it goes backwards for about a foot then jams. I fear the cct may have gone. If you move it back it will then turn over the starter for a bit then there is a metallic clunk... presuming valves hitting a piston? Any wise old thoughts before i attempt to mess up trying to fix it?
Thanks in advance, Jon.
Wicky

Re: New Bike, Seized Engine, CCT?

Post by Wicky »

Usually it is the front CCT that goes - suggest you take a peak under the cam cover to see what's going on...

Wouldn't try starting it as you're likely to make more of a metallic mess. If you need to turn engine over best to take off the alternator timing access cap and use a socket to rotate engine (take out spark plugs).
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Before you do anything else...Remove the small nut on the end of the tensioner, insert a small flat blade screwdriver, you will with a bit of fiddling find a grove. Now turn gently clockwise If the tensioner is good you will feel a slight 'springy' resistance & it should spring back to centre if you ease the grip. If there is no tension felt then yep the spring has gone & the tensioner has failed.

This of course is assuming that it still has standard cct's fitted...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
mightyscotspine

Ok, cheers. I will give both a try, but not at the same time! Will do tomorrow and get back to you with my findings... I'm imagining the worst..
Thanks for you thoughts.
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

seems we have the same issue had strangly on the same day. unfortaunly for me i was riding my bike when i heard loud banign from the front cylinder\exhaust so held clutch in n pulled over n bike died on me.

but seems from ppls advice given n stock ccts its cct failure
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

so held clutch in n pulled over n bike died on me.
As long as you haven't attempted to restart the bike then you may very well get away with only a broken CCT. Valves may be OK as you have done exactly the right thing to prevent further damage. What sort of speed was you doing at the time and did it fail while off the throttle and getting back on it?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

Hi

I was doin around 40/50mph and no the bike kept running for a short period. When I pulled over it didn't stop straight away.

It died slowly had time to pull over n take helmet n gloves off before bike cut out whilst I was trying to investigate was the loud banging noise was
mightyscotspine

Sorry to hear you've suffered cct failure.. I think yours will be in a better state than mine as I didn't own the bike when mine went wrong. Good luck opening it up!
Today I shall mostly be turning my engine over by hand and prodding ccts...
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

That's very true good luck pal to u 2 ill be taking the cct of as well n probing tye cam n seein whats what.
chaz

Post by chaz »

just remember you might get a bit of resistance undoing the cap on the end of the alternator cover. they are soft metal and if corroded may round out the hexagon. if its not been removed in a while a few dabs of grinding compound may lock the allen key in, but worst case scenario is threads may strip in cover. new caps are dear for what they are and how easy they damage
mightyscotspine

chaz wrote:just remember you might get a bit of resistance undoing the cap on the end of the alternator cover. they are soft metal and if corroded may round out the hexagon. if its not been removed in a while a few dabs of grinding compound may lock the allen key in, but worst case scenario is threads may strip in cover. new caps are dear for what they are and how easy they damage
Cheers, I will do my best not to strip it, as that would be dull..
xdaddyxspudx

Post by xdaddyxspudx »

well ive done my investigations well pulled it all apart n im stuck at what im looking at lol....

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 18&t=36576

this is my thread with images n couple vids
VTRDaz

Post by VTRDaz »

Was that the yellow VTR of ebay? if so I asked the owner :

Hi mate, a couple of questions, what year is it please?
when you say it ran rough, was it knocking/clattery??
and is the engine locked solid?

His reply was:
Its a 1998 bike it was knocking then stopped running now wont turn over not sure why?

Daz
mightyscotspine

VTRDaz wrote:Was that the yellow VTR of ebay? if so I asked the owner :

Hi mate, a couple of questions, what year is it please?
when you say it ran rough, was it knocking/clattery??
and is the engine locked solid?

His reply was:
Its a 1998 bike it was knocking then stopped running now wont turn over not sure why?

Daz
No, it was off gumtree.. have been poorly with man flu so progress was slow yesterday.. took tank and airbox off, tank was not even connected! Have a feeling today is going to show up a few nasties.. :-(
mightyscotspine

Ok.. so checked both tensioners with the screwdriver method, they are both fine... I have taken off cam covers and both chains are fine, none of the valve covers or whatever they are called have disappeared, which apparently can indicate a dropped valve.. Haven't got a 12mm spark plug remover and nowhere has an 18mm deep socket, so waiting on amazon to deliver one to remove the plugs to turn the engine over by hand.
All good fun.. Have reached the limits of my capabilities now.. a voyage in to the unknown awaits...
Thanks for help so far, much appreciated.
The cam cover removal guide helped greatly!