Seriously p***ed off

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mik_str

Seriously p***ed off

Post by mik_str »

so, I took the bike for a ride on Sunday and pulled over on the side of the road to make a small adjustment to my jetting (Flo-Commander). I re-start the engine and am suddenly faced with a knocking sound emanating from the engine.... WTF????????????????? I move close to the engine to try to locate the source of the sound and am unable to locate it with any precision. Needless to say, the bike went home on a lift...... I just dropped it off at the dealer's and got a call informing me it's likely something serious (rod bearing,......). Further to a Web search, I saw that failure of one of the springs in the primary gear drive may be responsible for a sound that is very similar...... I sure hope so, I told the dealer to have a look first before pulling teh engine..... otherwise I face a rather expensive repair bill...... I have to admit at this point I am left wanting to part the piece of s**t out and move on to an FZ-09 (MT-09 in the UK)........ this, and the steering head bearing crap........ I am f***in' pissed......... :Argue 1:
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Kev L

Re: Seriously p***ed off

Post by Kev L »

Oh mate, sorry to hear that. Don't act in haste, keep the faith fella. Fingers crossed it's the simple option.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

gutted for you mate, fingers crossed it's an easy-ish fix.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

The entire engine was rebuilt (new everything: bearings, seals, oil pump, cam chains, seals,....) about 60,000 km ago, with an additional rebuild 30,000 km ago (further to the cam breaking while on the dyno, the result of the non-existent rev cut-off in the HRC ignition box)....... I can't believe something is gone in the lower end, I NEVER rev the bike (it seldom, if ever, sees over 8K as I prefer to let the mid-range torque pull me around; always warm it up properly), change the oil religiously,..... I am getting seriously fed up with this crap........

I would just like to put a stick of TNT in the exhaust and watch it blow right about now........ grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

nooooooooooooooo think of the sharp jagged pieces of carbon fibre..... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Send me the firkin wheels & discs before you blow it up!!!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

if I parted out the piece of s**t I could probably scour up enough money to buy a reliable bike.....
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I was in the same frame of mind last week with mine .
Just give it a bit of time and have a think .
If you part it out good luck with it

Lube, no lube, it's your choice .
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

lloydie wrote: Just give it a bit of time and have a think .
+1

Micky, I'm really sorry to hear of your woes. However don't make any rash decisions until you are thinking straight, you've come to far to give up now.

Just think about it, if you did end up with a MT-09 as a replacement for the Storm, how long would it be before you got bored with it in standard trim, then the mods would be starting. As harsh as it may sound, the problem could well be from one of the mod's you carried out, but unfortunately for any of us who modify our bike's, this is the risk we take. We carry out mods to our bikes because we like to be able to get the most from them, as well as personalise them, we do it because many of us (me included) get a lot of pleasure/enjoyment and fun from a mod (okay perhaps to any who don't modify their bikes this may sound a bit sad :lol: but it's true). It's exciting to take the bike out after a mod to test the difference, and if it's been an improvement even better. As far as I can tell (well you are a self confessed OCMD addict :wink: ), you are not the sort of person who is happy to stick with a standard bike.

Give yourself sometime to cool down, then have a proper think as Lloyde suggests.

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that is seriously bad news, just as the good work comes together it all falls apart :?

hope the diagnosis is more simple than we fear.

and I agree with Chris, you wouldn't enjoy a standard bike........ well not for long
AMcQ
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

MT-09 needs at least complete suspension upgrade from Day 1. Engine rebuild for storm is still less expensive. 60k km for heavily tuned bike with a lot of experimenting during operation is good result.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

They're only bits, Mik!

I had to take a month off bikes recently after the VTR split its cases.
Drove a car for a while, didn't bother fixing either of the bikes needing attention in my gge.

But I'm back riding again this week (not the vtr) and yet another rebuild going on with the vtr.

Just give it a while until your enthusiasm comes back.

You'll be back in a bit, and anyway, you can't let the bugger beat you :lol:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

8O 8O 8O
Don't listen to this lot and all their good common sense!
Just pack it up in a crate and send it to me. I'm such a nice Guy, I'll take your piece of junk off your hands and I wont even charge you :wink:

Pete.l :cool2
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

well, I just got off the phone with the dealer further to a teardown of the engine and the guilty party is.... the crank, which is snapped (!). Thankfully, everything else is ok. I am surprised this happened as the bike was never abused, but I guess the 250,000 km of use finally got the best of it. Now the quest for a decent replacement crank begins.......
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Like I posted on the other forum, I wonder if the crank was weakened when they lightened it for the new rods?

Something to check into before the rebuild :thumbup:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.