No Spark-No Go + massive frustration!

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Gr8whenitgoes

No Spark-No Go + massive frustration!

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

Hi. I've just joined this forum and hope someone has ideas to get this bike working!

My bike is a '97 VTR, which I bought as a restoration project. The bike had been stored (badly!) for years so required major work on the fuel and hydraulic systems. But the electrical and core engine appeared in excellent condition, however I have had incessant problems with the ignition system. As it is at the moment I've checked continuity between Ignition Pulse Generator, Ignition Control Unit Converter Unit and coils, and bought replacement units. Even with these changes I still get a reasonable spark for the rear cylinder; but the front will spark once or twice, then its dead (no spark).

My understanding is there is a spark on every rotation of the crank, so as the rear cylinder works the trigger circuit is working ok, so I have concentrated between the ignition control unit and the coil - with zero results. The bike has been going and going well, but the fault has just got worse and worse. It suggests a component progressively deteriorating, but which one?!.

I would be grateful for any ideas or can anyone recommend an engineer who is ace on electrics - noting I live in Rawtenstall, Lancs

Its getting beyond painful having more dry sunny days but having the bike stuck in the garage!

thanks in anticipation of responses
Graham
macdee

Re: No Spark-No Go + massive frustration!

Post by macdee »

hello and welcome
what sort of rectifier is on the bike is it flat type these can give problems or finned type which are better but can still go
what voltages are you getting to the battery when the bike is running
check and clean all the earths
check the workshop section for info http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28771

theirs a thread in here for a check list for this type of problem but i cant find it at the moment
some of the other men will be along shortly to help
told you not to but oh no you knew better
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

My understanding is there is a spark on every rotation of the crank
Correct it's a lost spark system. It may sound silly bit have you changed the plugs. Swap the coils and leads over and see if the problem reverses to rule out HT lead and coil.

Welcome to the forum. :beer:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

cybercarl wrote:
My understanding is there is a spark on every rotation of the crank
Correct it's a lost spark system. It may sound silly bit have you changed the plugs. Swap the coils and leads over and see if the problem reverses to rule out HT lead and coil.

Welcome to the forum. :beer:

Carl Thanks for the quick response and the welcome, and yes I have new plugs, and have swapped coils/leads and fitted 2nd hand ignition and converter units - no change!
Regards
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Try a different ECU...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Is the coil getting power ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

lloydie wrote:Is the coil getting power ?

macdee wrote:hello and welcome
what sort of rectifier is on the bike is it flat type these can give problems or finned type which are better but can still go
what voltages are you getting to the battery when the bike is running
check and clean all the earths
check the workshop section for info http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28771

theirs a thread in here for a check list for this type of problem but i cant find it at the moment
some of the other men will be along shortly to help
First thanks for the quick response and the welcome. I changed the rectifier to a finned type; the battery copes quite well while I am repeatedly turning the engine over after each change I make to the system. Unfortunately I cant check charging volts as I cant get the engine to fire!
The earth points are clean and I checked earths with multimeter and all is fine
Thanks for the link to the manual, I only have Haynes which is ok but thin on diagnostics! and I'll look for the thread

Great ideas - just the kind of help I need - many thanks - and i'll update any progress or not! G
Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

Wicky wrote:Try a different ECU...
Thanks for the response - and I did buy another Ignition CU and Converter Units (note this is an ancient '97 bike so its carbs and no ECU) they were fitted and it made no difference!!
I am getting so many responses, this is a great forum Graham
Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

Lloydie, Thanks for the response, and the question is good, and I am hesitant to connect up my multimeter. Can I simply connect across the coil connector set on dc volts, and turn the engine over?

Thanks again Lloyd - I am a bit staggered with the no of replies I am getting - great forum
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

'97 bike so its carbs and no ECU) they were fitted and it made no difference!!
err...they all have an ECU/ICM Ignition Control Module and a Converter unit which is the most likely cause for a weak spark if everything else has been ruled out. Think of the converter unit as another coil :wink: It's the smaller of the two box's, the one on top. ICM are different on the later models as they have the HISS security system to contend with.

Another link for you which is worth a read/scroll through.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=33343

I would be checking and eliminating the converter unit and the plug that connects to it.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

cybercarl wrote:
'97 bike so its carbs and no ECU) they were fitted and it made no difference!!
err...they all have an ECU/ICM Ignition Control Module and a Converter unit which is the most likely cause for a weak spark if everything else has been ruled out. Think of the converter unit as another coil :wink: It's the smaller of the two box's, the one on top. ICM are different on the later models as they have the HISS security system to contend with.

Another link for you which is worth a read/scroll through.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=33343

I would be checking and eliminating the converter unit and the plug that connects to it.

I have a couple of spare sets of both ECU & Converter boxes if you need any.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

its not got an alarm or immobiliser fitted that's affecting it has it ?
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A lot of that can be ruled out like side stand switch, battery etc as it's only affecting one cylinder.

Gr8whenitgoes

Post by Gr8whenitgoes »

cybercarl wrote:A lot of that can be ruled out like side stand switch, battery etc as it's only affecting one cylinder.

Carl
Thanks for your 2 recent posts. I thought the later vtr's had fuel injection, so I thought that introduced a revised CU - I've a lot to learn!
I'm glad of the info on the converter unit - but I have tried changing the converter unit as well as the ECU. But I think I will check the voltage output from the converter unit to front and rear cylinders - but I am not sure if I can simply put the multimeter straight across the signal and earth lines - have you any advice on this please?
thanks again
Graham