Have I Purchased the Correct Calipers for Upgrade?

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
thunderbolt

Have I Purchased the Correct Calipers for Upgrade?

Post by thunderbolt »

I have read the Brake Caliper Upgrade article by AMCQ46.

And I have purchased a pair of CBR954 calipers and M/C from the US. I am now wondering if I purchased the correct ones to improve the braking on my '03 VTR. On the 2002 CBR954 the calipers come off upside down forks and mount in a totally different fashion to how they mount on the VTR front forks.

Also I notice that the piston sizes on the CBR954RR are 32 and 30mm whereas on the CBR600F4i which others appear to be using the piston sizes are larger at 34 and 32mm. I could not find a set of calipers off a CBR600F4i so purchased the 954 ones.

Also the 954 has a different master cylinder size to the 600F4i master.

Will these calipers physically bolt onto my fork legs and will there be a significant improvement in braking performance seeing as the pistons are smaller than the CBR600F4i calipers and having a different M/C size (11/16" compared to 5/8")?

Does anyone know if there are issues fitting the CBR954 M/C to the VTR and making it line up with the existing VTR reservoir?

Pics of my calipers and M/C below for reference.

Thanks

Thanks for any help offered.

P.S. I know there is some milling (grinding) involved to enable the calipers to fit the VTR forks.

Thanks
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1977 Suzuki GS550/700 - modified significantly
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
2003 Honda Firestorm VTR1000
popkat

Re: Have I Purchased the Correct Calipers for Upgrade?

Post by popkat »

954 is known for having one of the best brake setups of any bike, the calipers will improve your brakes but not quite to 954 levels as that bike has 330mm discs.. I think the caliper body is the same as the CBR600 so should fit the same.. Best way is to offer up a caliper and see how close it is, i gather one mount will bolt up but the other is a little out, compare to pictures on here..
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Have a look at AMcQ chart in this link here:-
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ke+upgrade

Chris.
thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

popkat wrote:954 is known for having one of the best brake setups of any bike, the calipers will improve your brakes but not quite to 954 levels as that bike has 330mm discs.. I think the caliper body is the same as the CBR600 so should fit the same.. Best way is to offer up a caliper and see how close it is, i gather one mount will bolt up but the other is a little out, compare to pictures on here..
Hey Popkat,

Which pictures? Where?
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

This is what Marty has fitted. Grind a little off the calliper rather than the forks. But yes they will mount up just fine. I shall let the pineapple explain further and post his pics. He'll be along shortly no doubt.

Nice pics you have taken there :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
popkat

Post by popkat »

thunderbolt wrote:
popkat wrote:954 is known for having one of the best brake setups of any bike, the calipers will improve your brakes but not quite to 954 levels as that bike has 330mm discs.. I think the caliper body is the same as the CBR600 so should fit the same.. Best way is to offer up a caliper and see how close it is, i gather one mount will bolt up but the other is a little out, compare to pictures on here..
Hey Popkat,

Which pictures? Where?
I meant search the forum for pictures by saying "pictures on here"
But hold on as Marty might post some up for you.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Here a pic that Marty sent me earlier this year when he was very excited about getting a set himself...

:wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Yes they will fit once you remove a bit of metal off the fork leg and caliper, like the pictures in my thread. They will be much better than the storm calipers
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Stephen has posted some pics here.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... br#p356497

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

mac you cheeky git..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
yup I've done this upgrade on a couple of sets of forks now, really easy to do, I used a rotary tool to remove a couple of mm off the fork lowers so the bigger brakes will fit properly, takes 5 to 10 minutes.... :thumbup:
I've marked the area's that need trimming, it's only the inside edge that needs doing...
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
thunderbolt

Post by thunderbolt »

My CBR954 calipers and M/C turned up today all safe and sound.

A few questions if I may to those who are in the know:

When you order a caliper kit from the Honda dealer does that include the dust seals, piston seals, pistons, etc. If not are the pistons available separately and is it best to replace them or just clean them up?

Which are the best pads to use on these calipers for the best braking and best disc wear? And where do you buy them from?

Is it normal to replace the pins that hold the pads in place?

Is it best to part the calipers in halves, install the piston seals, pistons, etc in each half and then reassemble both halves together again with "O" rings installed, or assemble the halves first and fit the seals and pistons afterwards?

On another issue these calipers are absolutely filthy, not like "agentpineapple"s lovely looking gold calipers in the post above.
The muck is really ingrained into my calipers and my attempts so far has not really worked that well. See my grimy calipers below:

The only thing that worked with a little success was Carby Cleaner sprayed onto the gold paintwork and gently brushed with a brass bristled brush. But I was worried about the carb cleaner and brush lifting the gold paint.

Any suggestions for getting them clean in a fuss free manner? Thanks

A special tool I made for the job of pressing the pistons in place and holding pistons in place while removing the others with compressed air.

Are the torx bolts available in stainless as mine are a bit on the rusty side?

Any help gratefully appreciated.
Cheers
Don

Bikes:
1981 Moto Guzzi 850 T4
1990 Suzuki VX800
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I ran my calipers thru a ultrasonic cleaner, it made a big difference, but if the calipers won't clean up, then another option is to get them anodised, kev recently had his done, they look fantastic, he had his done black, but gold is available.
fwiw I took some metal off of the fork lower rather than the caliper, it only takes a few minutes to do, i'd also suggest replacing all the bolts with stainless steel items.... :thumbup:
I can't help with the technical caliper rebuild info, you need to give jonsey a shout, he's the resident brake expert.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

thunderbolt wrote:Which are the best pads to use on these calipers for the best braking and best disc wear?
I use Ferodo ST and really like the performance, not sure about disc wear. But I think EBC HH are kind to brake rotors and have good performance.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You want to spilt them in half if you going to fully clean and service them. Pushing the pistons back in is the easy bit, It's getting them out that can cause difficulties without a piston puller. You will get all the rubber seals and O rings plus possibly a little Red rubber grease with a rebuild kit not the pistons themselves. Unless they are severely corroded and pitted beyond repair then a little rub down with fine wet n dry or emery cloth will do to clean them up.