I Bought It With a Knock

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Big_Jim59

I Bought It With a Knock

Post by Big_Jim59 »

This is actually a continuation of my introductory thread. I describes my purchase of a really nice 2005 Superhawk (Fire Storm to you) and my journey of discovery and denial as I chaise the source of a rather loud knocking sound. You can read that HERE: http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 23&t=35651

As it turns out, no matter how hard I wished it wasn't, it was a blown big end. I made a YouTube video showing the process of discovery. You can file it under the heading "What a Bad Rod Sounds Like."

http://youtu.be/8rUoqU1kBSs
Last edited by Big_Jim59 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: I Bought It With a Knock

Post by sirch345 »

Thanks for the update Jim and the video, sorry for you it's not very good news. Do you think somebody put the con-rod back without the big-end shells :?:

What's you next plan, pick up another engine and swap them over I'm guessing :?:

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Did the last owner remove the rod and not put the shell back in !!
Either way Id change the motor as if all them shell bits will be everywhere
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

sirch345 wrote:Thanks for the update Jim and the video, sorry for you it's not very good news. Do you think somebody put the con-rod back without the big-end shells :?:

What's you next plan, pick up another engine and swap them over I'm guessing :?:

Chris.
I don't think they went that far but the pan gasket was missing so I am assuming they got into it and made the discovery and sold it on. The guy I bought it from said the knock was there and got worse really fast. I don't think he knew. It's no telling what people have done. I usually see pieces of the bearing flattened in the rod but this one is as clean as a new one.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I am going to strip it down and clean it up. I have a used crank and rods coming from the good folks that break bikes at eBay so I think it will live. I'll be able to check everything when I split the cases. There is no way I am using that crank or those rods for that matter.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

They don't have a pan gasket just a very light smear of silicone .
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

well at least you know now :roll:

well done for keeping at it.
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

lloydie wrote:They don't have a pan gasket just a very light smear of silicone .
That was gone. Just hints of color at the corners but nothing on either side. Clean!
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I was looking for an engine but in the States the VTR was never a big seller. People here tend to like their sport bikes with 4 cylinders not two (they like their slow as hell cruisers with two cylinders not four but I regress) I looked for engines but found that I was looking at between $800 and just under $1000 for an engine of unknown quality off eBay. I would rather tear this one down, check the tolerances and replace the rod and main bearings than to take a chance on a used one. Plus it will be as right as I can make it and even with the new parts I will be saving some coin. I ran some numbers and came up with around $380 for all the parts I need to make it sweet again.

In for a penny. . .
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

Big_Jim59 wrote:I was looking for an engine but in the States the VTR was never a big seller. People here tend to like their sport bikes with 4 cylinders not two (they like their slow as hell cruisers with two cylinders not four but I regress) I looked for engines but found that I was looking at between $800 and just under $1000 for an engine of unknown quality off eBay. I would rather tear this one down, check the tolerances and replace the rod and main bearings than to take a chance on a used one. Plus it will be as right as I can make it and even with the new parts I will be saving some coin. I ran some numbers and came up with around $380 for all the parts I need to make it sweet again.

In for a penny. . .

well, you did say you enjoy pulling engines apart :D
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

lloydie wrote:Did the last owner remove the rod and not put the shell back in !!
Either way Id change the motor as if all them shell bits will be everywhere
You know, there is just not enough junk in the pan to account for those missing bearing shells. You are correct, that stuff would be everywhere but as it stands, I found about three small pieces of bearing material. I can't imagine that the last owner removed the rod bearings and reassembled it. It would be such a pain for nothing. The rod cap bolts were torqued down by the way.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

lumpyv wrote:well, you did say you enjoy pulling engines apart :D
As my old bikes shop boss used to say "At least it keeps you out of beer joints and houses of ill repute!" Yes, I do get a kick out of this and I will have a pretty good working knowledge of the Storm when I am done.
macdee

Post by macdee »

good work on finding the problem
have you asked the superhawk men to see if their is anyone with parts near you ,worth a try . :thumbup: :thumbup:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Big_Jim59 wrote:
sirch345 wrote:Thanks for the update Jim and the video, sorry for you it's not very good news. Do you think somebody put the con-rod back without the big-end shells :?:

Chris.
I usually see pieces of the bearing flattened in the rod but this one is as clean as a new one.
Exactly, that's what I would have expected.

It'll be interesting to see what the front cylinder big-end shells look like :eh:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

have you asked the superhawk men to see if their is anyone with parts near you
I was just thinking the same thing. You may even find a complete lump.
http://www.superhawkforum.com/

If you split the cases JIm you looking at replacing more bearings, gaskets, oil seals etc etc. It all adds up.

The following thread may be of some use to you.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ne+rebuild

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside