shocks that physically fit the storm that could be rebuilt.

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Geordie

shocks that physically fit the storm that could be rebuilt.

Post by Geordie »

Hello ..
before i get shot down .. yes ive searched and read as much as i can find and would like any further definitive opinion on the matter of different models of shocks .. or shocks of diffetent models that could fit the storm and be rebuilt vakved sprung to be correct. As the new purpose built shockers are upwards of 600 quid for a maxton etc and there are ohlins for fazers kawa etc on evay for 150 quid surely theres a way an aftermarket shock for another model of bike could be made to do a fine job ? Eye length to eye length is long on the storm which is not an issue as i can make a new clevis to fit easily enough. . Having measured the storms shock stroke at about 44mm it compares very closely with an old cbr shock i also have .. so surely something more available for a different bike could be made to fit after revalving etc to cope with the leverage particular to the storms linkage etc ..
no im not in the market for a new ohlins at more than the value of my bike .. !!
Any thoughts. .
Geordie
Geordie

Re: shocks that physically fit the storm that could be rebui

Post by Geordie »

Please excuse my fat fingered spelling typos .. ha :oops:
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Just buy a nitron £350ish save all the messing about trying to get one to fit .
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Slight edit .. theres no ohlins that cheap lol .. anyway my question still remains .. anybidy had a successful go at trying to retro fit something more available adjustable ??
Yeah just looking at nitrons .. good ? .. i do want something thst will be able to do everything from track days to pillions or touring ...
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Then a nitron is the one you want .
I've just sold a proflex one the other week .

Nitron http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1164908310
They come as you need them and you can have it upgraded too .
I've read that a cbr600 shock can be made fit but I'd just buy a new one tbh
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I'd be inclined to go with Lloydies suggestion, rather than make another shock not designed for the Firestorm fit your bike. AMcQ has a Nitron shock, have a word with him,

Chris.
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Cheers lads .. yes its the simplest thing to do i suppose .. Although always keen to experiment. . Cant see how a lot of these shocks are that different apart from valve internals and spring rates all of which you can get custom made to suit.
Maxton do a complete reconfigure service where basically if you sell your bike and buy something different .. you keep your shock and they rebuild it with internals for your new bike and off you go ..
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

I have the base version of the Nitron shock but with the added preload adjuster, and can report that not only is it very well built, it works bloody well too :thumbup:
AMcQ
Geordie

Post by Geordie »

Yes that looks handy actually .. the adjusters on a lot of these shocks look to be quite difficult to actually get to and see to adjust .. remote is obviously the way forward so all in that nitron new is about 550 ..!! Good but justifyable ... ???!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

a half decent second hand shock will set you back £200, then factor in a service and respring at about £150, and your well on your way to a new shiny shock, I wouldn't go back to a standard shock unless I really had to, they make a big difference.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

The stock shocks can be rebuilt. :beer:
Watty

Post by Watty »

NZSpokes wrote:The stock shocks can be rebuilt. :beer:
But they still shite :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Geordie wrote:Yes that looks handy actually .. the adjusters on a lot of these shocks look to be quite difficult to actually get to and see to adjust .. remote is obviously the way forward so all in that nitron new is about 550 ..!! Good but justifyable ... ???!
The remote adjuster is pretty expensive compared to the base shock, but it is almost impossible to adjust the preload without it. In fact to get into the confined space on the storm to set the sag I had to bend the c spanner, and when I went to far I then had to bend the c spanner the other way! So ideally you would need a pair of c spanners one bent one way and one bent the other!..... Or fit the remote adjuster.

If you never take pillions then you can live without it, but I do, so it is vital.

The rest of the shock is great, and although there is only a single damping adjuster, it changes both compression and rebound and the relationship is about right for fast road and track days.

If you research the design of the Nitron, all of the range use the same quality and large diameter of damper and rod. So even though it is the base product, it only the adjuster that is budget.
AMcQ
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

AMCQ46 wrote:
Geordie wrote:Yes that looks handy actually .. the adjusters on a lot of these shocks look to be quite difficult to actually get to and see to adjust .. remote is obviously the way forward so all in that nitron new is about 550 ..!! Good but justifyable ... ???!
The remote adjuster is pretty expensive compared to the base shock, but it is almost impossible to adjust the preload without it. In fact to get into the confined space on the storm to set the sag I had to bend the c spanner, and when I went to far I then had to bend the c spanner the other way! So ideally you would need a pair of c spanners one bent one way and one bent the other!..... Or fit the remote adjuster.

If you never take pillions then you can live without it, but I do, so it is vital.

The rest of the shock is great, and although there is only a single damping adjuster, it changes both compression and rebound and the relationship is about right for fast road and track days.

If you research the design of the Nitron, all of the range use the same quality and large diameter of damper and rod. So even though it is the base product, it only the adjuster that is budget.
Down here Im hearing great things about Nitron shocks, many of the top racers have swaped out Ohlins for them.
NZSpokes

Post by NZSpokes »

Watty wrote:
NZSpokes wrote:The stock shocks can be rebuilt. :beer:
But they still shite :lol:
Fit a new piston...... :thumbup: