Which Reg/rectifier

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Wicky

Re: Which Reg/rectifier

Post by Wicky »

As i said ill keep looking,dont really wanna pay much more than £30 though !!
Be aware that an SH R/R when it fails risks damaging the battery and other electrical parts of the bike (i.e clocks etc) and could leave you unable to start & stranded.

A later finned R/R (found second-hand on fleabay for around +£20) is better than an original unfinned version as fitted to 97-01 (hence why Honda replaced it) and the FH Mosfet (+£40) is even more reliable.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

kev64 wrote:Thanks for the links mac, now i get the idea, will keep looking

So temp, you had a CB125 reg/rect on for two years? and alls ok?

So ive had another read on reg/rect on this forum and the Hawk forum,,
Still not sure its worth paying extra for a used Reg/rect with mosfets as all used parts could fail
suppose they have a chance of lasting longer though

As i said ill keep looking,dont really wanna pay much more than £30 though !! :)
Buying any 2nd hand part is a risk.

However it is worth spending a bit more for a Mosfet type as any non Mosfet can fail even the finned honda & yam R1/R6...If they fail could mean a new battery which is gonna cost more that a £40 mosfet R/R... ALL PART Numbers Starting FH not SH is what you want.

Don't be a tight butt ! shell out it will be worth it in the long run...

If you don't go the Mosfet route make sure your roadside recovery is up to date as well... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

kev64 wrote:Thanks for the links mac, now i get the idea, will keep looking

So temp, you had a CB125 reg/rect on for two years? and alls ok?

So ive had another read on reg/rect on this forum and the Hawk forum,,
Still not sure its worth paying extra for a used Reg/rect with mosfets as all used parts could fail
suppose they have a chance of lasting longer though

As i said ill keep looking,dont really wanna pay much more than £30 though !! :)
That's daft thinking...

Yeah, sure all things second hand can fail... That's entirely true... But there really is a difference between failing, and failing in this case...

The VTR OEM R/R is made with thyristor diodes... They are hugely inefficient as they are very analog in their switching from on to off, very prone to ageing from heat, and you guessed it, they produce heat... Ie, in terms of "failures" it's like lighting the ladder you are climbing, on fire, and then complaining it failed... It's a no brainer, it will fail, at some point... And most likely in a flamboyant way, damaging other things...

The CBR 125 R/R mentioned, is EXACTLY THE SAME, just with added fins, and a lesser spec than the stock part for wattage (making it more failure prone)... Same as the newer OEM R/R for the VTR... And those fins are if you look at it from an engineering standpoint, just window dressing... They add thermal mass, so they slow down the heat buildup and ageing, but they doesn't cool worth a damned... So, if the R/R is new, and has a decent lifespan left, it will probably last a few years before packing in...

Whatever R/R you choose made using mosfet tech, is completely the opposite... The diodes (mosfet is just a technicue for making it, they are infact diodes) create no heat of their own, and are virtually ageless, as they are in effect digital, with no wear or ageing... They are also more robust than tyristors, capable of surviving abuse that would kill an thyristor outright...

Combine that with the fact that they have the same "advantage" as the CBR one, and the "new" OEM, with larger thermal mass and fins... Then result is that while a thyristor R/R have a lifespan of 5-10 years with a pretty much guaranteed failure past that, the mosfet one has a near unlimited lifespan in terms of normal ageing, and wear and tear... The only way it fails, is like enything else, factory defects, or imperfect components, creating a random failure...

So, a new non mosfet R/R lasts 5- 10 years, a used one is a game of chance, as it can have one day left, or 10 years... A mosfet R/R should outlast the bike, and is technically "new" even when bought used with high miles...

It's your choice and your bike... But it's pretty stupid to save £5-10-15 now, and pay twice that in repairs later...

Me, I'd take a used and abused mosfet R/R from a high mileage bike over a brand spanking new OEM R/R any day... One might perhaps fail one day, the other one is pretty much a certainity...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Ok guys, Thanks for the guidance, I think I now have the message!!!
Currently watching an FH010AA (going cheap at the moment !! Hehe)
kev64

Post by kev64 »

Tweety, read the thread again on the superhawk forum, didn't realise you wrote that !!
Cool stuff, and makes sense.
I just won an FH010 R/R on Ebay, came off a Yam MT01, hope it works. (although I got it for 25 quid posted, so worth a gamble)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Your looking for any R/R with two plugs.
Careful. You can get R/R's out there that have the two plugs and look like a MOSFET but they are not.
it's like lighting the ladder you are climbing, on fire, and then complaining it failed..
:lol: :lol: I've missed your posts.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

hi guys,
i'm recently entered in the firestorm world.
I would like change my not finned r/r on my 1998 vtr.
Anybody can show me a safe seller ?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

hello, thanks!
The correct OE part is 31600 - MV4 - 010?
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

if I understand well there is no chance to install a mosfet type without cut the original cables?
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

fulviogsx wrote:
if I understand well there is no chance to install a mosfet type without cut the original cables?
Can be done...You can unpick the conectors from the std block...However if any of the wiring is burnt...then you will have to trim it back anyway.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

MacV2 wrote:
fulviogsx wrote:
Can be done...You can unpick the conectors from the std block...However if any of the wiring is burnt...then you will have to trim it back anyway.
i have not yet the problem. Is a prevenction action. I know sometimes is not an easy way unpick these connectors :?
davebonline

Post by davebonline »

I thought the fix for this was just replacing with the finned version, is there a specific benefit in paying 4 times more for a MOSFET version?
fulviogsx

Post by fulviogsx »

davebonline wrote:I thought the fix for this was just replacing with the finned version, is there a specific benefit in paying 4 times more for a MOSFET version?
i quite agrre with you ( even if the mosfer is technologically superior). But the problem is the an original finned Honda part costs a lot...
the cheaper one you can find on ebay are not original..
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

davebonline wrote:I thought the fix for this was just replacing with the finned version, is there a specific benefit in paying 4 times more for a MOSFET version?
MOSFET Regulator/Rectifiers - The Why & The How > http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/kn ... how-25117/

Though there are newer reliable tech SH type R'Rs ( SH775 / SH847 ) now on the market.

https://mtp-racing.de/Regler-SH775-Honda