Stator Coil

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mavar1ck

Stator Coil

Post by mavar1ck »

Broke down the other week, wouldn't start. Had similar problem on my blade on the way to Portugal so recognized the issue. Rectifier had failed non finned version. Just checking the rest of the circuit and found battery screwed and plug on rectifier melted. Changed battery and new plug on rectifier. Just issue left reading 0.8 across all three stator wires (range 0.2 to 0.5 I think). Does anyone know if this will be a problem as all three readings are the same? Is it worth taking the cover off and having a look, is there anything I can do to help the resistance?

Cheers
Brian
darkember

Re: Stator Coil

Post by darkember »

If you suspect the reg rec then change that as well as it will fry the battery again.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

darkember wrote:If you suspect the reg rec then change that as well as it will fry the battery again.
Already have new RR but wondering if 0.8 ohms is ok across the stator?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

You got the specified range right (0.2-0.5) and if out Honda recommend replacing the alternator stator.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Have you taken the meter's resistance into consideration. Touch the probes together to see what the meters resistance is and delete that from your final reading.
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28771

As for taking that stator off to physically check. There's not much that can be done except check it over for any burnt out coils of wire.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

Wicky wrote:You got the specified range right (0.2-0.5) and if out Honda recommend replacing the alternator stator.
Thanks, seems a shame to change for 0.3 ohms
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Possibly, but remember that's increased resistance, which means more heat created, which will further break down the coil insulation creating more resistance, etc, etc. (continue until failure or fire)
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

cybercarl wrote:Have you taken the meter's resistance into consideration. Touch the probes together to see what the meters resistance is and delete that from your final reading.
http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=28771

As for taking that stator off to physically check. There's not much that can be done except check it over for any burnt out coils of wire.

I'm not stupid but I feel it as you are right. I have missed the obvious. Multi-meter has a 0.5 ohm resistance take this from the 0.8 and I have 0.3 perfect.

Doh!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

think of the "Ohmless" :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

bigtwinthing wrote:think of the "Ohmless" :lol:
Lucky you know watts watt! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Maybe watty has some insight to this. :lol:
'm not stupid but I feel it as you are right. I have missed the obvious. Multi-meter has a 0.5 ohm resistance take this from the 0.8 and I have 0.3 perfect.
All good then :thumbup: The R/R itself is the weak point in our systems and is a common failure especially with the original un-finned version as in wickys post above. Sounds to me like it was overcharging and had taken out the plug and battery along the way. Lets hope that's all the damage it's done as it has been known for other electrical items to go wrong with the power surge.

==============================Enter the Darkside
Watty

Post by Watty »

[quote="cybercarl"]Maybe watty has some insight to this. :lol
Watt :? :crazy: :lol:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
mavar1ck

Post by mavar1ck »

All back together now took a long time due to the birth of my daughter. Charging at 14.29 volts at 5000rpm rises to 14.60 at tick over not sure if this is right?

Plug into R/R still getting warm, could this be down to the earth? Has anyone run a separate earth from the R/R to ground?

Cheers for all the help and advice. :D
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I run a earth wire from the r&r directly to the negative on the battery and it has a extra on to the sub frame too