Tachometer issue

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
mattycoops43

Tachometer issue

Post by mattycoops43 »

Hi there

Put the bike back together today after it's partial rebuild. When I went for a spin my tacho has stopped working, it is just bouncing between 0-2k revs.

It worked fine before, never had an issue.

Obviously I have had most of the bike apart, can someone tell me where the signal comes from, is this a common thing if a connector somewhere is not plugged in properly?

My suspicions are nothing is broken, but I am not sure where to start looking.
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
tony.mon

Re: Tachometer issue

Post by tony.mon »

Check the earth on the back of the instrument cluster; they corrode and give an intermittent signal.
I'd start there, then chase through.
The feed comes from the ECU or ignition trigger box, most likely the latter, have a look at the wiring diagram to make sure.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

tony.mon wrote:Check the earth on the back of the instrument cluster; they corrode and give an intermittent signal.
I'd start there, then chase through.
The feed comes from the ECU or ignition trigger box, most likely the latter, have a look at the wiring diagram to make sure.
Is the trigger box the one above the ecu? I have had it all unplugged so maybe I havent got it plugged back in securely.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You have the main Igntion Control Module (ecu) on the bottom and then the one on top which controls the sparks to plugs is the Converter Unit. The tacho directly into runs into the bottom one (ecu) bit both box's are linked so either could be at fault really. I would check you wired the earth back up prperly on the R/R as well, because that can play mischief with the tacho.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

Oh........... Just realized. Powder coated subframe. I cleaned earth point, but not where subframe joins main frame. That may well be the issue.

just realised
Fryerstorm

Post by Fryerstorm »

I’ve got a fault with my Tacho/rev counter.
Basically it shows 0 Rpm in any state of throttle.
Swapped out the rec, clean all the ring terminals, tested all the resistors on the tacho pcb and considering looking at the coils tomorrow.
Is there anything else to check before I hit eBay and replace the cluster ?

Cheers
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Fryerstorm wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:16 pm I’ve got a fault with my Tacho/rev counter.
Basically it shows 0 Rpm in any state of throttle.
Swapped out the rec, clean all the ring terminals, tested all the resistors on the tacho pcb and considering looking at the coils tomorrow.
Is there anything else to check before I hit eBay and replace the cluster ?

Cheers
Yes, check the earth, its mostly an earth issue.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.