any advice? about to swap my flywheel

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
lloydie

Re: any advice? about to swap my flywheel

Post by lloydie »

bigtwinthing wrote:
lloydie wrote:
Virt wrote:
He's busy enough maintaining 3 storms and trying to build another! :lol:
4 storms
and a white belly pan to repair!!!
The pans good but the brackets are in the bin !!!
How did you live with it sitting like that !! ?
Only one little hole in the pan to fix not that you can see it when it's fitted
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Virt wrote:
lloydie wrote: That would be telling :-)
Did you buy your son one? :lol:

He was keen enough to join in on my airbox :p
I have 3 in the garage at the mo :-(

You can buy one if you like :-)
Virt

Post by Virt »

Hand job and a packet of skittles is all I can afford :(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Slowly approaching the more bikes than birthdays achievement
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

The pans good but the brackets are in the bin !!!

its hard to love something you don't like!!!!+ at the time all i wanted was to ride the thing and it was tight and wouldn't have fell off.

I didn't make it!!! but my new one will look lovely, and i know yours done up will be peachy ( still to pointy though) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!, the best thing i see is in the mirror when i shave :lol: :lol: :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

bigtwinthing wrote:The pans good but the brackets are in the bin !!!

its hard to love something you don't like!!!!+ at the time all i wanted was to ride the thing and it was tight and wouldn't have fell off.

I didn't make it!!! but my new one will look lovely, and i know yours done up will be peachy ( still to pointy though) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!, the best thing i see is in the mirror when i shave :lol: :lol: :lol:

New brackets made and now it sits much better .
Hope you like your new one as much as I like the pointy one :-)
Max

Post by Max »

quick question , I now have slightly lightened Flywheel , as seem to be the trend atm, been looking at the bike but cant quite work out if i need to drop the oil to swap it out, it doesnt look like i do but asking just in case .. ta :)
Max

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

no need to drop the oil, but you do need an extractor tool to get the rotor off the taper shaft
AMcQ
Max

Post by Max »

Thanks for that , yeah i have a set of them here somewhere.
Max

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Max wrote:Thanks for that , yeah i have a set of them here somewhere.
a set?
Like this?

The flywheel puller for this engine is a M22x1.5 RH thread 'bolt" (really a pusher, you do not pull the flywheel off, you push it off the crank taper) You can use any correctly thread bolt, a drain plug or an actually "puller" from Motion Pro and others.. About $10 USD
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

So far I'm really liking the effects of the lighter flywheel, the bike picks up so much better. I have had the back end slip out a couple of times while leaned over going around corners when giving it a bit too much throttle. I quite like that feeling actually :biggrin wouldn't wont to do it in the wet though. :eek2 I have yet to ride with it in the wet as it hasn't rained yet. But now I have mentioned that it will probably piss down over the weekend. :lol:

Now this may be my imagination but one thing I have noticed is that the bike seems to run a little richer with it. I can smell it in the exhaust. I'm trying to figure out how/why as I have not heard of anyone having to re-tune with one. The only reason I can think of why, is that the piston is travelling through the stroke faster so therefore this would have an effect on the spark timing.

It could be that during the exhaust stroke I'm getting more un-burnt wastage mix escaping back out the exhaust valve because of too much retardation or during the valve overlap period at the beginning of the Induction stroke, I'm getting more of the fresh charge escaping out the exhaust valve :think: I'm now wondering whether an ignition advancer would help to counter balance the faster piston travel, I have a +2 knocking (no pun intended) around somewhere, or should I play with my carbs first.

My gut feeling is to put the advancer on first as it's only a +2 and I run standard compression. Then go through the carb tuning and dyno process. But on the other hand, I don't wont to make too many changes at once. I want to see what effects one thing has on another so may just tweak my mixture and see how things go.

Any thoughts?

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
mattycoops43

Post by mattycoops43 »

cybercarl wrote:So far I'm really liking the effects of the lighter flywheel, the bike picks up so much better. I have had the back end slip out a couple of times while leaned over going around corners when giving it a bit too much throttle. I quite like that feeling actually :biggrin wouldn't wont to do it in the wet though. :eek2 I have yet to ride with it in the wet as it hasn't rained yet. But now I have mentioned that it will probably piss down over the weekend. :lol:

Now this may be my imagination but one thing I have noticed is that the bike seems to run a little richer with it. I can smell it in the exhaust. I'm trying to figure out how/why as I have not heard of anyone having to re-tune with one. The only reason I can think of why, is that the piston is travelling through the stroke faster so therefore this would have an effect on the spark timing.

It could be that during the exhaust stroke I'm getting more un-burnt wastage mix escaping back out the exhaust valve because of too much retardation or during the valve overlap period at the beginning of the Induction stroke, I'm getting more of the fresh charge escaping out the exhaust valve :think: I'm now wondering whether an ignition advancer would help to counter balance the faster piston travel, I have a +2 knocking (no pun intended) around somewhere, or should I play with my carbs first.

My gut feeling is to put the advancer on first as it's only a +2 and I run standard compression. Then go through the carb tuning and dyno process. But on the other hand, I don't wont to make too many changes at once. I want to see what effects one thing has on another so may just tweak my mixture and see how things go.

Any thoughts?

Surely it's not revving any faster, unless you are running a higher rev limit? It is just accelerating faster, so the revs are climbing faster, but this makes no difference to the terminal velocity of valves/gas etc?

If what you're saying is right, our bikes would all run richer while on the motorway at high speed as the revs are high, and leaner at tickover?

Or am I missing something?
Budget storm gradually on the road to spangliness.
Max

Post by Max »

E.Marquez wrote:
Max wrote:Thanks for that , yeah i have a set of them here somewhere.
a set?
Like this?

The flywheel puller for this engine is a M22x1.5 RH thread 'bolt" (really a pusher, you do not pull the flywheel off, you push it off the crank taper) You can use any correctly thread bolt, a drain plug or an actually "puller" from Motion Pro and others.. About $10 USD

yep, it looks the same as those.

I only asked as I have had the bike up on the lift for a while and rebuilt the linkages etc etc, I the changed the oil and filter at the end a couple of weeks ago. If I had seen the post on flywheels sooner it would have been done at the same time but I seem to have been caught up in the scramble for lighter flywheels :) wasnt sure if i could do it now or wait till the next oil change.
Max

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Surely it's not revving any faster, unless you are running a higher rev limit?
Two different things. Rev limit is the same but gets there quicker/revs quicker, more revolutions = faster piston travel. While flicking the throttle at idle I guestimate the needle travels twice as fast.
but this makes no difference to the terminal velocity of valves/gas etc?
If revving fasting then the whole valvetrain is spinning faster, so valves opening and closing quicker which affects the point of piston travel in relation to igniting the charge BTDC. The charge then expands under pressure across the combustion chamber as it burns through (like blowing up a balloon) from the ignition point (plug hopefully) and outwards. There is a point in the burn where it reaches maximum peak pressure which should fall just ATDC where the crank is ready to receive forces on the piston from the explosion and forcing the piston back down on the power stroke. What we don't want is that to fall the other side at BTDC as this will put force on the piston before the crank is ready to accept the force. So there is a very fine line and too much advance will cause detonation, especially so in higher compression engines where there is more heat and pressure which causes a faster burn.

As standard IIRC it fires at 15 degrees BTDC on the compression stroke. By adding a +2 advancer moves the point of ignition closer to the piston on it's way up making it 17 degrees BTDC. This then then gives more time for the charge to burn more cleanly and allowing max peak pressure to fall sooner and less wastage. As long as peak pressure still falls ATDC this is all good.

If I add a -2 retarder then this moves the point of ignition later so 13 degrees BTDC and max peak pressure falls later ATDC so it's not as clean a burn and there is more un-burnt wastage pumped out the exhaust. There is a little bit more to it than that as there is an overlap period where the fresh charge gets sucked in aided by the exhaust valve remaining open slightly so some of it escapes out the exhaust valve and down the exhaust This is what gets scavenged.
If what you're saying is right, our bikes would all run richer while on the motorway at high speed as the revs are high, and leaner at tickover?
What I'm talking about is the ignition timing, 15 degrees BTDC. Now if the piston travelled at the same speed all the time then the point of ignition would be at the same position each time relative to piston position. This is where the TPS and ECU map come into play. The faster the piston travels the sooner the charge needs igniting. So for example at idle we are at 15 degrees, then at 25mph we are at 20 degrees and then at 50 mph, 25 degrees and so on. Not the real figures but you get the idea. Unfortunately we can't play with the ECU map and the there is only so much that can be done with the TPS. Anyway the TPS works more affectively at lower speeds and moves that point of ignition around and at higher speeds where the piston is moving faster it don't come into play so much.

Maybe I'm over thinking things but I hope that makes sense.

Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

wow, my bike responded great with the flywheel a couple oz over 6lbs. think the stocker was around 7.5 lbs.

wondering if its a good move going lighter? possibly around the 5lb mark. for some odd reason i cant stop thinking, well then why wouldnt honda have made it lighter. obvious... driveability. but then my next thought is why wouldnt Roger D. who was racing VTR's go this light? in fact mine is lighter than the Roger D. spec. maybe them pushing around 150hp made the flywheel less significant and only needed slight lightening? maybe for those of us around the 110-115hp mark, the flywheel greatley increases the acceleration where Roger D's bikes HP gave the accel needed?

but what the heck do i know
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Are you lovin it us as much as I am :biggrin I tell ya I'm starting to think this is one of the best mods I've done, it's turned the bike into another beast, so much more livelier. I'm having to re-train my brain some throttle control though, especially with the HRC tube, and even more so at higher cruising speeds out on open roads. The engine braking is a weird one! around town there seems to be less and is so much more ridable. I pull away from lights and before I know it the traffic, if I have the space ahead, is left in my mirrors for dust, tough it's more jittery if I go to mad which is actually quite fun, but not good for the tyres, so back to learning a bit more throttle control on that one, and not riding like a despatch rider :lol:

When I do ride by the book and keep to speed limits etc the bike don't like it. Trying to stick to 30mph is a struggle and it feels like it wants more, the bike just wants to go, but then it was before the lightened flywheel install too. I don't think these bikes like sitting or filtering in and out of thick traffic with lots of stop starts, full stop..... whether they have a lightened flywheel or not.

Something Hawk said to me on a gearing thread about the flywheel maybe helping with low speed cornering around town has proved itself to be true. 2nd gear turns on very tight back street bends (back street bends.... sounds like a boy band :lol: :lol: ) is so much more easier to open the throttle at the apex and roll on through the corner without having to drop down a gear. I still have standard gearing but wonder what it would be like if I changed that, curiosity may get the better of me one day. I reckon the bike would be totally nuts then, along with it's owner :roll:

OK back to engine braking, when out on open roads, motorways/major A roads, that's the freeway/highway to you guys over the pond :wink: there seams to be a lot more engine braking. I could be cruising along at say 80-90 let go of the throttle and before I know it, without touching any brakes, I'm very quickly back down to 50-60 so even more throttle control required here. I don't like it so much at higher speeds but it is handy when approaching speed cameras. I also appreciated it the other day when traffic in front suddenly slowed right down closing the gap between the car in front and myself. They all slowed because a Police camera van was sneakily parked up on a hill at the side of the road. So the engine braking at these speeds has it's uses. I just need to get a bit more used to it with the different style of riding required on the motorway. Maybe one of those plastic cruise control things for the throttle would be a good idea for longer journeys, but that's not me really, so just need to learn some throttle control. I'm a very on off, yin yang, black white kinda guy with everything in life. There's no middle ground with me.

It may be my imagination but there does seem to be a bit more vibration at higher speeds, I'm not worried about it right now as it could be down to other things like the bike needing a good tune up and fuelling adjusted to suit. Or it could simply be the higher revs I'm reaching a lot faster now or even tyres, suspension. It's just something I'm aware of and keeping in the back of my mind when I go WOT. You never know the flywheel may come shooting off the end of the crank and out the crankcase one day :lol:

I have yet to mess with the fuelling and I have a +2 advancer to put on which I think may help some, but for now I'm just enjoying riding about.

I only intended on writing a couple of paragraphs!!!