any advice? about to swap my flywheel

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Jscobey

any advice? about to swap my flywheel

Post by Jscobey »

just received my lightened flywheel!! :D :clap:

about to get things started in the garage. just wondering if theres any advice, tricks, or tips you guys have on swapping the flywheels?

cant wait to report on the installed flywheel. just to let you know the flywheel started life at 7lbs 5 3/8oz. it has been reduced to 6lbs 4 5/8oz so a total reduction of 1lb 3/4 oz.

although this is a swap so the guy that lightened it had a spare and i purchased that one from him for him to lighten. so ill have to weigh my current flywheel after words to see how much of a weight difference there is to the current and lightened flywheels.

if i screw something up you mates will be the first to know!
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
Jscobey

Re: any advice? about to swap my flywheel

Post by Jscobey »

already having a bike of trouble getting the flywheel bolt off. i dont have a rotor strap so any other suggestions?
High Hindles.SP1frontend.SP2&900rrwheel.Ohlins.SAbrace&spools.AllBalls.jetkit.JE 11.5:1 Pistns.Stg 1 Cams. HPowerstacks.HRCthrtl.SSlines.RadMC.WveRtr.LtWtFlywhl.LEDtail.mosfet.MCCT.DePair.Tailtidy.DM rrsets.Lower.Carbonadis.hugger.sliders.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Various thread on the subject. Use the search function to have a trawl through them.

This is the removal one...

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 31&t=21097
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

got everything installed on her this morning and wow what a great mod. the revs climb so much faster! it makes it feel like the bike had the rear brake on all the time before and i finally free'd it up. it jumps off the line, lofts the front wheel, and pulls hard and fast from any RPM. feels like i lowered gearing almost. really glad it did this mod. deffinatley worth it. makes me wonder why honda made them so heavy....
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Jscobey wrote: makes me wonder why honda made them so heavy....
Like I said before, after suspension, it is one of the best if not the best mod you can do to this bike.

As to why they are set up heavy stock, there is no answer from Honda but IMHO it is that way to keep hamfisted riders or someone new to twins from flipping it over backwards in 1st.
It also make the bike a little more forgiving. If you look at an RC51 flywheel, it will look surprisingly like your "lightened" flywheel.

So Honda does know how to make a quick rev'ing twin, if they want....... and that is what you have just done, set up your flywheel to basically SP1\SP2 specs.

Like everything it has pluses and minuses.

The up side is the engine spins up much faster and you get improved engine braking...... so better performance

The down side is....wait for it..... :lol: the engine spins up faster and you have improved engine braking...... this can be considered a "down side" as it make the bike more difficult to ride.
Your throttle control must be much more precise as the bike is now even more happy to spit you into the ditch if you do something silly.

To me it is an acceptable trade off but you do need to be aware of it.

Like Freddie Spencer says "Fast riders have slow hands"

Always be smooth, take a few rides to get used to how things are now and you should be happy with the results.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

8541Hawk wrote:
Like I said before, after suspension, it is one of the best if not the best mod you can do to this bike.

As to why they are set up heavy stock, there is no answer from Honda but IMHO it is that way to keep hamfisted riders or someone new to twins from flipping it over backwards in 1st.
It also make the bike a little more forgiving. If you look at an RC51 flywheel, it will look surprisingly like your "lightened" flywheel.

So Honda does know how to make a quick rev'ing twin, if they want....... and that is what you have just done, set up your flywheel to basically SP1\SP2 specs.

The up side is the engine spins up much faster and you get improved engine braking...... so better performance

The down side is....wait for it..... :lol: the engine spins up faster and you have improved engine braking...... this can be considered a "down side" as it make the bike more difficult to ride.
Your throttle control must be much more precise as the bike is now even more happy to spit you into the ditch if you do something silly.

Always be smooth, take a few rides to get used to how things are now and you should be happy with the results.

now I've read that i want one!!!,
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Watty

Post by Watty »

bigtwinthing wrote:
8541Hawk wrote:

now I've read that i want one!!!,
And me :thumbup: , awesome, where does this modding stop :lol: :crazy:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Me too and I have one waiting to go on :biggrin Just got to find someone with a rattle gun. I bought a proper flywheel strap and snapped that :eek2

Great write up that Mike. Very well explained. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

No worries and another plus is that your gearing woes will go away......
Even though there is no HP gains by this mod it will "feel" like you picked up around 5hp on the butt dyno :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's exactly what I thought after reading Jscobey comment
feels like i lowered gearing almost
(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Wasn't Lloydie doing an exchange service on lightened fly wheels a while back?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Kev L wrote:Wasn't Lloydie doing an exchange service on lightened fly wheels a while back?
could i swap my bellypan for one if he is??? :lol:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I think he'd swap his mrs (and the gay dog from hell!!) for your bellypan BTT!!! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Jscobey

Post by Jscobey »

just got back from a 3 hour canyon "stroll" not pushing any limits or draggin knee or anything. just a casual ride through the canyons and boy do i love the flywheel. it really is such a worthwhile mod.

like 8541 said you dont gain any actual horsepower BUT that fact that you can reach higher HP and Torque faster, is almost like having more HP.

the weird thing, and has me a little concerned is that i feel like i have LESS engine braking. its making me feel like i have messed something up during the install. the bike is running beautifully so it doesnt appear that anything went wrong. im just concerned because i keep reading your supposed to get more engine braking with a lighter flywheel and i feel as tho i have less.

bike spins up much quicker tho and i love it. the way it revs so noticeably faster is awesome. cant wait to see how it adds up in lap times at the track.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Maybe you're not closing the throttle as far as you used to but it is physics.

The lighter mass will both accelerate and decelerate quicker. So when you get quicker rev'ing you automatically get increased engine braking (or quicker deceleration) to go with it. :thumbup: