PAIR System removal

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
VTRDark

Re: PAIR System removal

Post by VTRDark »

In that case we are fuooked anyway. :lol:

Back to PAIR. I'm wondering whether that O ring and Collar are needed if earlier Cam covers are put on. :think:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:In that case we are fuooked anyway. :lol:

Back to PAIR. I'm wondering whether that O ring and Collar are needed if earlier Cam covers are put on. :think:

i was thinking the same thing.... :eek2
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
darkember

Post by darkember »

If there is a location for it then use it other wise store it in the parts bin
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

i have both early and late model cam covers, so i'm sure it can be done, carl, what about duffys bike, did you sort that pair removal out ok?
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh things where great once we put the O ring and collar back in. You should have heard and seen it when it was out. :lol: The bike stuttered, popped and banged and would not rev cleanly. It pissed oil out into the airbox. I'm thinking it can only do that via the breather pipes.

Now I'm wondering if there is a difference, apart from the reed valve, between the early and later cam covers. When we put the early covers on yours it would not fit nice and flush with the collar in place, IIRC we took them off :think:

==============================Enter the Darkside
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

cybercarl wrote:Yeh things where great once we put the O ring and collar back in. You should have heard and seen it when it was out. :lol: The bike stuttered, popped and banged and would not rev cleanly. It pissed oil out into the airbox. I'm thinking it can only do that via the breather pipes.

Now I'm wondering if there is a difference, apart from the reed valve, between the early and later cam covers. When we put the early covers on yours it would not fit nice and flush with the collar in place, IIRC we took them off :think:

i'll have a look tomorrow, worst ways i'll have to get some block off plates ordered.... :(
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

darkember wrote:

If there is a location for it then use it other wise store it in the parts bin
I had a look at the older type of rocker covers I got from Benny's auction and they have a recess for the collet too.

Looks like you will need them Marty
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

cybercarl wrote:I was thinking of suggesting to you to remove the PAIR in your valves thread I just read :lol:

I think the main benefit of removing the PAIR is that it gets rid of some of the popping on deceleration that may occur. It may even give you a little more power as the PAIR is to do with emissions control which is normally at the expense of loosing a bit of power.

The yanks are the experts with the PAIR system, loads of info on the Hawk site and they have blanks for the cam covers. Here;s their thread on removal which may be worth a read. http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/mo ... how-20918/ I think there may even be companies that sell a kit with all the necessary blanking plates and stuff.

I think the main benefit of removing the PAIR is that it gets rid of some of the popping on deceleration that may occur,,,, I actually like that bit!!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

(:-})[/quote]
I think the main benefit of removing the PAIR is that it gets rid of some of the popping on deceleration that may occur,,,, I actually like that bit!!![/quote]

don't worry, my exhaust will provide plenty of popping and banging on overrun..... :biggrin
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
popkat

Post by popkat »

Before removing the pair on mine the popping, farting, burbling, banging was constant every time the throttle was even slightly rolled off. I don't mind the popping but it was way too much, only does it occasionally now on overrun.
http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I will be removing a pair system soon and still no real answer as to older cam covers can be used ?
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

lloydie wrote:I will be removing a pair system soon and still no real answer as to older cam covers can be used ?
Did the non us export VTR use a different valve cover in early years? If so what years? All US models have a PAIR system installed far as I can tell, my 98 built June 1997 does, the 2000, 2002, & 2004 I've worked on did as well. Parts sites show they all use the PAIR system as well.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

This is the pre 2002 cam covers
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

lloydie wrote:Image
This is the pre 2002 cam covers
Not on a us bike

Interesting , thanks
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
macdee

Post by macdee »

There was something on the superhawk site about this I think the best way to remove the pair system was just to flip the the read valves over and put cover back on
told you not to but oh no you knew better