Starting engine

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scottyhatchi

Starting engine

Post by scottyhatchi »

hi my fuel tank is coming bak tday i want to start up my engine to check its running okay etc but the little plastic bolt that holds the choke into the carbs has snapped i was wondering can i start the engine without the choke cable connected or not ??
gl_s_r

Re: Starting engine

Post by gl_s_r »

While I am here... I'll ask a question anyone can chip in with and that is if I remake this plastic part you've broken can anyone see why I can't make it out of something else like brass rather than plastic? It may stand a chance of a longer life in brass rather than plastic...

Seem to me it only holds the choke parts in and secures the rubber boot.

So plastic or brass?
Why ask... sometime you just go to do it and find out?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

gl_s_r wrote:While I am here... I'll ask a question anyone can chip in with and that is if I remake this plastic part you've broken can anyone see why I can't make it out of something else like brass rather than plastic? It may stand a chance of a longer life in brass rather than plastic...

Seem to me it only holds the choke parts in and secures the rubber boot.

So plastic or brass?
The US Superhawk lot have used a slightly modded brass Polaris ATV carb part, and a chap from Finland even provided technical drawings.

Potentially a demand from a lot of storm owners to have a couple in the spares draw just in case...
I measured the original Honda part and the Polaris part. I made a cross-section drawings with measures.

I also took a few photos of the parts.

Seems that I have to drill the brass part from the inner-threaded end so the cable wire shell can go in. (from 5,25mm -> 6,5mm) I also have to make deeper the end where the spring and needle part goes in. (from 8,7mm -> 11,7mm)

Because the parts are not equally long, the measurement have to be started from the end of the outer thread, so the geometry still remains.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

i was wondering can i start the engine without the choke cable connected or not ??
You can, it will just be like having the choke on all the time. So depending on your tuning the bike might cut out when warmed up if it feels too rich. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

I see that thread on the forum but a lot of the data such as thread pitch, groove data for the boot etc was missing.

I have just taken mine off my bike while I am here and measured it up and copied the plastic one to save messing about.

I will post a picture of the finished one when I can sit back down for ten minutes.. I didn't know these were a bit of an issue?

think I may replace mine then while I am making some.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

I broke one last time i cleaned the carbs :-(

Put me down for a set please :-)
No doubt kev will want some made from titanium lol
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Mark your are awesome. Honda's answer to all these silly niggly parts that they were lapsy daisy about making good quality in the first place. Luckily I have never broken mine as I have had no need to undo them at the carb end. But my first set of carbs when I got the bike had a bodge repair where someone had snapped one. I ended up buying a 2nd hand set of carbs. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
gl_s_r

Post by gl_s_r »

I think this is what you are after Scotty. I have made them to look the same as the original and fitted one to my bike to check.

All appears to be well.

scottyhatchi

Post by scottyhatchi »

yea they are what i need mate spot on .. god u went from investigating to fully making them rather fast like u sure do have some skill like lol .. get a load made mate pretty sure there are alotta people who wud appreciate these as the standard plastic things are seriously rubbish .

ive sent payment to ya pay pal now anyways thanx alot mate greatly appreciated can finally get my bike bak tgether ha ha ha :D :D :D
seb421

Post by seb421 »

gl_s_r wrote:I think this is what you are after Scotty. I have made them to look the same as the original and fitted one to my bike to check.

All appears to be well.

Can I get a set please these are awesome

Sent from the Bat Cave via Cup and String
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
Xenocide

Post by Xenocide »

You really are a clever b8stard
'98 VTR (Red - the quickest)
'94 KTM LC4 400e
'69 Land Rover S2 Lightweight
Trowbridge & Surrounding Areas Lawn Mower Servicing & Repairs
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I would also like a set of those please if possible :?:

Brilliant job, well done :clap:

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yes please for a couple of your fancy brass widgets... and a quarter of wine gums
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Can you do them in Ti? :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
darkember

Post by darkember »

How much are you asking for a set??