Carb Strip Jetting Pictures

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
scott02464

Re: Carb Strip Jetting Pictures

Post by scott02464 »

Iv started taking my carbs out and there's a lot more wires and hoses than I thought would be connected lol

Do you have to take all these off each time you come to try a new jet/setting ha ha! Hope I get a bit faster at it!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You are taking the carbs off as a pair arn't you. :eek2

You have the two water pipes at the bottom, 1 on each carb, disconnect TPS, the two throttle cables, and loosen the choke at the knob end (for want of a better description :lol: ) and slide it out of the bracket on frame. The choke and cable will push through and all come out as one piece still connected to the carbs.

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

She's out!!

Yes I'd done it just how you described! It won't let me add a pic but I'm sure you know how it looks lol! Right I'm going to clean the little buggers up ha ga!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Good man, wel done :thumbup: put the carbs on a flat surface to work on and work on one carb at a time, making a note of what jets etc you have. :thumbup: Careful with the diaphram, putting it back together and don't let the spring fly out across the garage, road or whatever.

scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

Well that was bloody great! Had the carbs out, had float bowls off (one at a time) and both were very clean inside.

Then took out the front diaphragm cap, had a spring hit me in the mouth, all clean inside, lovely jubley!

It took me 3 attempts to get the cap back on but wasn't too bad.

The carbs are now back on the bike but got to go and help bath the kids so will finnish putti g air box and tank on after!

It has 175 and 178 mains like Carl said and 48s pilots.

All in all a very satisfying task for a lad like me :lol:

Looking forward to trying different mains and needles!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You must be well chuffed with yourself. :thumbup: What where the mixture screws set at? As you have original mains, I highly suspect the needles are original as well. Unless you removed the needles out of the slide there is no way of telling. But there is always the odd chance there are adjustables in there.

scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

cybercarl wrote:You must be well chuffed with yourself. :thumbup: What where the mixture screws set at? As you have original mains, I highly suspect the needles are original as well. Unless you removed the needles out of the slide there is no way of telling. But there is always the odd chance there are adjustables in there.

Tbh mate I didn't check the mixture screws as all the rest was in good enough condition not to tinker with, although that's the only thing I didn't check, sods law you asked lol!

I had a brief play with the needle but I couldn't work out how it came out, didnt want to break it!

Really enjoyed doing it tho, thanks alot for all the info guys!! :lol: :lol:
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

These are the pics I took earlier but couldn't upload.

Last edited by scott02464 on Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

For future reference how to remove needle from slide.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25163

:wink:

They look nice and clean inside. Carb spray works quite well on the outside of carbs as well. Looking closely at the tip of that needle (and I have originals in front of me to compare) and the way the taper goes, they do look like original Honda needles.

Last edited by VTRDark on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

cybercarl wrote:For future reference how to remove needle from slide.
http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25163

:wink:

Oh eye, I've ready that anorl doh! Uv read that much in this subject lately some Iv forgotten (but have it all saved) but the more I do it I'll be ok. Even though Iv asked a million questions on this, I am a fast learner honest :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

:lol: :lol: We all got to learn at sometime mate. When I first started I was the same, read tonnes of stuff here and on the internet and other forums etc. But that's the beauty of this forum as we all learn from each others experiences and knowledge.

scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

cybercarl wrote::lol: :lol: We all got to learn at sometime mate. When I first started I was the same, read tonnes of stuff here and on the internet and other forums etc. But that's the beauty of this forum as we all learn from each others experiences and knowledge.

Too right mate, I love this site it's invaluable and if nothing else it gives someone the confidence to have a go themselves. Iv learned such a lot from you aswell mate cheers :-)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Scott, good work on te carbs, but if you havnt put stoppers in your CCTs, thats your next job :thumbup:
AMcQ
scott02464

Post by scott02464 »

AMCQ46 wrote:Scott, good work on te carbs, but if you havnt put stoppers in your CCTs, thats your next job :thumbup:
Thanks mate, yes I put the stoppers in a while ago. I had already bought new autos so thought I'd do the stopper rather then spend more on manuals ;-)
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Somewhere in Solihull a displaced Scotsman just had a little accident in his jockstrap. Al is the forums stopper mod campaigner :lol: :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF