Carb Strip Jetting Pictures

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
seb421

Carb Strip Jetting Pictures

Post by seb421 »

Carb Strip Down Pictures,

This starts with the carbs removed from the bike, Coolant tubes removed, throttle cables removed and and the Choke cable Removed (two screws one at either side front and rear)

Slide Cover

Float Bowl Cover

Float Bowl Drain Screw (Front and Rear)

Butterfly Valve

Removal of Carb slide, careful of the spring.

To get the needle out you need to screw one of the cap screws into the thread, fold over the rubber boot and then pull and wiggle

Note the order of washers, large at the front, then the E-clip then the small washer above that,
these are DynoJet needles, standard needles are just use a washer in-front of the needle stop

Slide Lowered back into carb with the boot folded back on its self, be gentle they are fragile, insert cardboard or similar so the slide stays up

This is the best way i found to get the rubber to seat in the grove and seal properly when the cap is put on, compress the spring in the cap and hold in place with a finger
place above the slide and then release as close as you can, tighten up and see if its sealed properly

Make sure you put the washer back in before the spring and cap goes on

Ensure a good seal all round for the vacuum to work correctly

Float Bowl Cover Removed, these three screws are tight! make sure you have a decent fitting screwdriver before attempting to unscrew as they can easy strip the head

Main jet in the middle screw into the emulsion tube (8mm spanner to remove emulsion tune), Pilot jet to the left of it

Main Jet removed

Emulsion Tube removed

Main Jet, Emulsion Tube

Pilot Jet Removed

Main Jet,
Emulsion Tube,
Pilot Jet,

Emulsion tubes, note left and right have difference in hole alinement's,
Stock main jets will also have the larger of the two in the rear Emulsion tube

Sync Screw

Idle Adjustment Screw

Marked these two Fuel Mixture Screws from fully closed so can see how far of a turn i have adjusted

Video with slides opening and closing
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by seb421 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:11 am, edited 8 times in total.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
INSURANCE - MCE - Expires 12/04/2015 (Midnight)
ACCIDENT CALL - 0871 2227910
RAC - 0800 1977830 - 03_MCECAB90013033
scott02464

Re: Carb Pictures

Post by scott02464 »

Cheers Seb that'll come in handy mate ;-)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's spot on that mate. Well done. :thumbup:

Very nice detailed pics as well. But I will just add a pic of the two emulsion tubes in case someone decides to do both carbs at the same time and mix them up. It's easily done.

Did you take the mixture screws out and squirt cleaner through that passageway as well. And what about the floats and needle valves?

Good job it should go in the knowlagebase. :wink:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Cheers Carl, yeh took mixture screw out and the ones at the bottom of the float bowl and gave everything a good cleaning and blasting with Carb Cleaner

Wasn't aware of that with the emulsion tubes so will check that when i get home, i did one side and then the other but you never know who's been at them in the past and what's been put where so will double check

Left the Floats in as they look very fragile and didn't appear to be adjustable so just blasted at them and under them
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Factory pro say as follows...
For persistent over richness, you can use another rear emulsion tube to lean out the front cylinder. The higher holes delay the onset of fuel delivery. Diagnosed by the need to have the front fuel screw almost closed for best idle - That's a superb test for pilot jet size.

Best idle should be obtained between 1.5 and 3 turns out - if you have the correct size pilot jet and TPS adjusted to 500 ohms and you don't need a rear emu tube in the front - as some vtr's require -
I think this may be their solution rather than plugging one of the holes in the slide.

seb421

Post by seb421 »

Cheers for the Info Carl glad i just went and checked, they was indeed the wrong way round, so the previous owner of these carbs will have had them running like that for sometime now i would think.

:beer:
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Could you do me a favour Seb and weigh the carbs with the long fuel lines attached. Just want to see the difference as I have just finished re-building mine with lashings of Ti and carbon fibre chasers!
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Kev L wrote:Could you do me a favour Seb and weigh the carbs with the long fuel lines attached. Just want to see the difference as I have just finished re-building mine with lashings of Ti and carbon fibre chasers!
show off...... :lol:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

It wont make you go any faster Kev. Your bike is still Blue. :lol: :lol:

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

:lol: :Ball Kick: :Finger2: :Tongue: :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
seb421

Post by seb421 »

Kev L wrote:Could you do me a favour Seb and weigh the carbs with the long fuel lines attached. Just want to see the difference as I have just finished re-building mine with lashings of Ti and carbon fibre chasers!
Will give it ago later mate see if I have some kitchen scales I can use

Sent from the Bat Cave via Cup and String
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

cybercarl wrote:Factory pro say as follows...
For persistent over richness, you can use another rear emulsion tube to lean out the front cylinder. The higher holes delay the onset of fuel delivery. Diagnosed by the need to have the front fuel screw almost closed for best idle - That's a superb test for pilot jet size.

Best idle should be obtained between 1.5 and 3 turns out - if you have the correct size pilot jet and TPS adjusted to 500 ohms and you don't need a rear emu tube in the front - as some vtr's require -
I think this may be their solution rather than plugging one of the holes in the slide.

Yes that is exactly why they run the rear emulsion tube in the front carb. Plugging the lift hole gives much better results IMHO.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Thank you very much Hawk Nice to have that confirmed, most appreciated. I did try the fatory pro approach and I'm not sure it made that much difference. Plugging 1 hole in each slide I will try next, I am running two long stacks. I'm hoping plugging a hole will also slow the slides down a bit and stop them coming on so soon.

Ride safe buddy. :thumbup:

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice job Seb, really good quality photo's too :thumbup:

Chris.
seb421

Post by seb421 »

sirch345 wrote:Nice job Seb, really good quality photo's too :thumbup:

Chris.
Thanks mate just wanted to help others see what's what etc as i always put off touching them, my old carbs @ 40K miles and 12 year old was quite shitty brown inside bottom of the floats, the whole carbs was well over due a clean internally

I got a DJ kit years ago but the instructions was so poor it put me off tackling the job until i was forced to.
ヨシムラ

MOT - 10/04/2015
TAX - 30/11/14