Velocity Stacks

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: Velocity Stacks

Post by tony.mon »

lloydiecbr wrote:
darrenmartin wrote::think: Let me throw this one into the melting pot.....how would the bike respond to putting the Short stack in 1st then placing the Long stack into the Short one, its a real tight fit so i dont think there would be any problem as far as the Long stack cuming loose on the run. Just a thought seeing as legnthing the stack seems to give it more oomph!
you wouldnt get both in toooooo long . the long one on its own is very close to the air filter (mm)
You might if you make a spacer by cutting the lower rim off of a spare airbox lid, to effectively raise the lid up 10mm.

Alternatively just make a circular spacer to go underneath the long stack so that it's raised up a few mm from it's normal position. Make sure that the securing screws are long enough to get enough grip, though.
A ring of silicon sealer around the lower edge as it goes into the carb should seal it ok, or you could cut the lower section from another stack and glue it on.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

if you are going to start cutting & shutting the trumpets, there was someone who tried grafting the better blended shape from am SP1 onto the base for the Stom. by doing this you could achieve the lenght and shape of the exotic billet HRC parts that some of us have fitted. The length effects the pulse resonance, but the bigger and better belmouth shape will flow more air at all speeds.

I though it was Rob who was doing it, but he stopped when he bought the flatslide carbs
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

:eh: Cheap!!!! i picked up a complete air box with both stacks, filtter and oil capture tank for £15 + £6 p&p im sure there are a couple more complete air box's on E-bay still for sale.....
Like Riding Thunder and Lightning
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Your missing the point, that's an SP1 Stack with the wider bellmouth. SP1 parts are a totally different price range. :wink: With the wider rolled over bellmouth (think of the airflow as a reverse fountain), this is more like the more expensive billet ones. So to add this to the top of a storm short stack would would bring it closer to the billet type. :thumbup:

(:-})
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

heres a link to Robs thread about modding the inlets trumpets to make a hybred between Storm and SP1, but he has erased the photos
http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... 15#p174598
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I think I'll give this a go; just bought a pair of Sp1 stacks for £17.45 posted.
Not too bad....
:thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

A direct comparison (seat of your pants) between the OM long versus what you make and the billet ones would be interesting :thumbup: Though I expect for true comparison it would have to be a dyno, but that costs money. :( You never know it maybe that noticeable seat of you pants style.

rob...

Post by rob... »

AMCQ46 wrote:heres a link to Robs thread about modding the inlets trumpets to make a hybred between Storm and SP1, but he has erased the photos
http://www.haymouth.co.uk/phpBB3/viewto ... 15#p174598
i've still got them in a box somewhere, the photos went when i re-organised my photobucket account.
When subjected to an electrical voltage of at least 50 volts, a cat's tail always points toward the north.
darrenmartin

Post by darrenmartin »

:oops: sorry carl my mistake :roll:
Like Riding Thunder and Lightning
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

You don't have to apologise mate, we all misread/misunderstand things at times. That's the beauty of the forum with lots of advice, guidance and help from others. It's then up to oneself to interpret it as you think. :lol:

BigVeeGrin

Post by BigVeeGrin »

cybercarl wrote:You don't have to apologise mate, we all misread/misunderstand things at times. That's the beauty of the forum with lots of advice, guidance and help from others. It's then up to oneself to interpret it as you think. :lol:

add in the wink wink advice and the curved balls lobbed and we all have a jolly time. To avoid a thread hijack I've added two long trumpets to the list of mods.
lloydie

Velocity Stacks

Post by lloydie »

cybercarl wrote:A direct comparison (seat of your pants) between the OM long versus what you make and the billet ones would be interesting :thumbup: Though I expect for true comparison it would have to be a dyno, but that costs money. :( You never know it maybe that noticeable seat of you pants style.

I gained 2bhp at the top end when I fitted the billet stacks .
And gained better throttle response at smaller throttle opening .
I did put you a dyno printout on here somewhere
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Yeh mate I've seen all that :thumbup: I'm talking about a comparison with the ones Tony is going to make compared to them and the others. :wink:

lloydie

Post by lloydie »

cybercarl wrote:Yeh mate I've seen all that :thumbup: I'm talking about a comparison with the ones Tony is going to make compared to them and the others. :wink:

if you make them the same length as the billet stacks the results should be similar :thumbup: