Fuel Capacity

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
vtrsmiffy

Fuel Capacity

Post by vtrsmiffy »

So I've had my 04 storm for 3 months now,done about 1500 miles on it and apart from the front suspension (gonna sort it over the winter) I really love it. The only thing about it that confuses me is after reading lots of posts about consumption figures I can't work out what it actually does to the gallon,yeah sure its true that the reserve bar starts flashing without fail when the trip hits 130 miles but when I stop to fill up again I can only get 12 or 13 litres into the tank and once when I was brave and ran it for another 40 miles it still only took 17 litres.It being a 04 model I'm sure its a 19 litre tank so what I'm wondering is does the fuel guage not tell the truth or is the reserve 5 or 6 litres,does anyone else have any similar issues cos' I'd like to know exactly how far I can go without panicking over running out of fuel.
Cheers.
Wicky

Re: Fuel Capacity

Post by Wicky »

Strap a fuel can on the back and see what it does on reserve.

130+40+ miles with more to come is very good with your 19l tank. edit: 45.46mpg :eek2

On that basis you should have a range of 190 miles before grinding to a halt.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
vtrman44

Post by vtrman44 »

dont no if this is much help but, i have 98 vtr small tank i get 40 mpg light comes on round 100 miles when rode steady im 57 ,i do ride it harder but like to conserve fuel bit skint,mate of mine only gets 65 miles to red light,the vtr is thirsty ,but ide rather ride 50 miles on my vtr than 100 miles on anything else.
tattoo

Post by tattoo »

65 miles to the light and i got giddy so just imagine what i'd be like if 120 miles ticked up :crazy:
Steve97

Post by Steve97 »

I get a regular 125 till the red light of doom, two up it goes down to around 100, and i dont exactly bimble around at 50 all day ! my grouch is that when i got it ,it cost around a tenner to fill it back up ,now 17 quid :thumbdown:
azvtr1000rider

Fuel Capacity

Post by azvtr1000rider »

I ride a '99 model year and get to about 110 or so before warning light. Got a high of 47 mpg on one tank but avg 42 - 44 most tanks. Spirited riding nets less of course.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.347024,-111.815796
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

100 to 114 on a 16L tank but if the sprockets are non standard that will alter the figures...
Opel

Post by Opel »

Mine does a respectable 100 miles before the light comes on. Unfortunately I’ve a 44t sprocket on the back and so (according to Speedohealer website) 100 mile is really 88. 8O (-11.7%).

This figure is for my usual commute into the city, which involves the usual stop starts and rapid acceleration/braking between lights. If I go on a longer trip out, I can get about 110 (so that’s 97) so that’s not too bad I suppose. However, if I don’t spare the beans, well… light on at 85 (about 75) which is tragic. :thumbdown:
Stormer Dave

Post by Stormer Dave »

I tend to get 100 - 110 before the light turns on.....

When I'm hungry I get 85 -90 before the light

However, I've never put more than 13 ltrs in the tank.

Having just modded mine with a bigger tank, you've got around 5 ltrs before your world goes bad..........and in your tank you can't get the last 1/2 ltr because the tank holds it below the tap line......inside the tank.

If you look closely at your bike or take the tank off you will see that the tank has like small lips either side, which the small ltr tanks don't have..........

I tried a pump and it made no difference.........

So I'd bet if you get 130 your done with about 13/14 ltrs and your into your last 40 miles...depending on how hard your roll the throttle.

I'm hoping a get a few more miles cause I just get into it after 50 miles....then I'm thinking of stopping....

If your brave enough put a kink in the sender in the tank as I've done with my conversion, you'll get a better reading.

Let us know how you get on......
:clap: complex personalities lead you to v-twin happiness......if you can get to turn in.......that is.....
pinkyfloyd

Post by pinkyfloyd »

I get between 80 - 100 on a tank depending what I'm doing. Mostly its riding too and from work, rarely do I go out on bimbles. Cant afford too :( So most of my riding is town riding. When I fill up again, when the red light tells me, it takes around 13L to brim it.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.
History:....CZ125....RXS100.....Lifan LF125-14F.....Suzuki GSXR750
Current:...1999 VTR FIRESTORM!
vtrsmiffy

Post by vtrsmiffy »

Thanks to all who replied to my post,gave me a lot to think about over the winter months.Have been out regularly in the milder weather and been getting regular averages of 40 to 44 mpg,not flat out riding but not hanging around either.More recently went out with some lads on 4 cylinder fliers and saw that figure drop to about 35 to 38 so theres quite a difference when you open the thing up,not a bad thing cos' its such a hoot to ride at any speed,I just love the sound of the V twin drone as I accelerate and shut off.Got my progressive fork springs on order so once their in I think it'll be well sorted.

Happy Storming. :beer:
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

How does the reserve work on these bikes? Im used to bikes where you just do the old reach around and flip it manually when it starts conking out, stop at the next servo and voila, you now know how far and how many liters.
On my 06 i get to like 170km and it starts flashing at me, went an extra 20, making it 190 and it took 15l, so there is another 4 to go? So theoretically another 40k to go. You just keep riding then? No actual "reserve" to speak of, just a sh1t fuel gauge?
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

VTRsquid wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:51 pm How does the reserve work on these bikes? Im used to bikes where you just do the old reach around and flip it manually when it starts conking out, stop at the next servo and voila, you now know how far and how many litres.
Haven't had too many chances to test the range on mine yet due to various top-ups and electrical work that wipes the trip-meter, but on my 06 i get to like 170km and it starts flashing at me, went an extra 20, making it 190 and it took 15l, so there is another 4 to go? So theoretically another 40k to go. You just keep riding then? No actual "reserve" to speak of, just a sh1t fuel gauge?
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

No fuel gauge, just the RLOD (red light of death). The mileage you are getting is about right, the tank is small. But... if you brim it with the bike upright you can fit in 16.5 litres to a completely empty tank. Fill it on the side stand and it's about 15 litres.

Most Storm owners carry a syphon hose under the seat.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Just noticed. 4 years on this accursed forum. I must be mad.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)