11.5:1 pistons....

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
tony.mon

Re: 11.5:1 pistons....

Post by tony.mon »

High comp JE's on their own give a good bottom end boost. You can get the top end back easily with head and airbox work.
I usually got around 115 bhp with that setup, and an ignition advance.
But it's the extra torque boost you notice for street riding.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

So if that nets 10-15hp extra up top, then would be even more of an increase over stock down low then, yeah? Which is what i would be after.
Did it affect the smoothness of the engine?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I posted dyno charts in the knowledgebase

It felt more punchy at very low revs.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

VTRsquid wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:47 pm Ok so theoretically, If i went JE pistons and longer duration cams (are these available?) what would the dyno plot look like next to the stock one theoretically? What kind of gains and where?
Not 100% sure i would want to go lightened flywheel and clutch at this stage - wouldn't this start to introduce bad road manners?
Kent cams offers decent stage1 cams for vtr-f. Pistons and cams alone are around 10bhp more I guess. There is more hidden in airbox mods, but harder to achieve.

I ride stg1 engine with lightened flywheel per Roger D spec and 16/43 gearing and I am pretty happy with this setup. Oem clutch is fine.
I tried open airbox as well, there was definitely more power, but went back to airbox lid, bike was too loud and lost too much of relax manner.
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

I must have missed it but does anyone know the porsche motor that shares pistons with the V? Was it the older 3.2 motor?

Thanks

AV
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

Ace VenTRa wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:48 pm I must have missed it but does anyone know the porsche motor that shares pistons with the V? Was it the older 3.2 motor?

Thanks

AV
I've searched fairly extensively. No Porsche pistons would work.. there were some that are close to being able to work but do not have the same size wrist pins or some other spec will be out.

Better to have custom ones made. My 99mm custom pistons have a JE Porsche ring set