Swingarm to brace or not to brace...

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Tweety

Re: Swingarm to brace or not to brace...

Post by Tweety »

Kev L wrote:That looks to me like they've done what I suggested to Seb. Used ally sheet to box in the blade brace to give a different overall look.
Actually, it looks more like they have taken an SP2 swing arm, and cut up to use as a brace, or something similar, since those window looking things are stamped out, not welded in...
Image <--- The result of OCMD... I gave up listing the mods in a sig line...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Bits in stock should I bother ?
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I like the way it looks, but as to feeling a difference I haven’t really discerned much difference. I know there have been posts on here saying how much difference it makes to rigidity when cornering but I guess I don’t work hard enough! :lol:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, that was my experience, too.
Braced it up, went on a track day, didn't notice any difference at all.
But it looks so much better, so still worth it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

I have a braced swing arm and I definitely noticed a difference .

I had standard forks when I did it and rode a non braced bike straight after doing mine and could feel the difference straight away.

I guess it depends how you use your bike, here in Oz our road surfaces are rough as compared to most in the U.K .
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

I have a particular road I ride often on my way out of town, its country road and ripe for being a hooligan on as a mistake will only imperial someones fence or at worst someones cow behind the fence .... so I ride it ahhh, spiritedly. :twisted:

There is a moderately fast left hand tun that I see at the speedlimit 96kph at least every ride which has a few road patches in it on the line one rides when doing it right.... the bike would not take that patch well at legal speed and would really wind up and walk around at fun speed at the 145kph range.

With no other suspension changes, post braced swing arm install I had a very obvious perceived difference in how the bike tracked over those bumps.. It was also noticed by my wife as she followed ..she said the before the bike wold "wiggle" a lot, after it would change a little but hardly noticeable. Truth is, that is the only place I have ever had a seat of the pants feeling that the braced swing arm was doing anything positive. Though I assume as it helps in that spot, it likely is helping in other pavement transitions I just don't notice it as I have no frame of reference of what "worse" feels like over that particular bump
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Japcati

Post by Japcati »

Sorry for digging up an old thread.
I have just purchased a vtr/900 braced swingarm.

Can anyone tell me the make of that beautiful carbon rear mudguard on KevL swingarm?
Or where to get 1?
Thanks
Japcati

Post by Japcati »

Anyone know what year of bike the hugger is for and who makes it?
Attachments
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
IMG_0011.jpg
IMG_0011.jpg (12.42 KiB) Viewed 2295 times
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Just had a look on E Bay and the 97 Honda Fireblade powerbronze carbon fibre hugger looks similar.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Am I seeing double or are all the new posts asking the same question?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.