main bearing replacement

Need advice on which oil to use or which tyre best suits you? Share your topic and get help here.
Chris58

main bearing replacement

Post by Chris58 »

After finishing a major overhaul of the storm (big bore, hi comp pistons, light flywheel, etc.) Ive had a KNOCK all summer! I found a loose main bearing with 0.005 of play at the flywheel... Im thinking the cases somehow didn't mate up perfectly. :Ball Kick:
Winter is back.. so its time to fix it up right.

Im curious if anyone has managed to split the cases without completly removing the engine?? Wouldn't that be easier??
tony.mon

Re: main bearing replacement

Post by tony.mon »

Did you replace the mains when you had the bores machined?
And did you use new big end bolts?
Re splitting the cases, it will take longer to split the cases and leave the upper half connected to the frame.
Unless you have a really good reason it would be simpler to remove the engine and place it on an engine stand to work on.

Machine mart's stand is less than 50 quid.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Mines upside down......sits well on the valve covers..
DSC_0145.JPG
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:18 pm Did you replace the mains when you had the bores machined?
And did you use new big end bolts?
Re splitting the cases, it will take longer to split the cases and leave the upper half connected to the frame.
Unless you have a really good reason it would be simpler to remove the engine and place it on an engine stand to work on.

Machine mart's stand is less than 50 quid.
I did replace all of the bearings in the engine, new strech bolts on rods. I didnt replace the big bolts around the crank holding the cases together, pretty sure the manual says you dont need to for those. or do you??

I plasti guaged everything as well..all was good, but it ended up loose on final assembly
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

No, all the crankcase bolts are reusable.
Perhaps one of the shells hasn't quite seated properly.
Anyway, it's a straightforward fix having done it once, just time consuming.
I'd still suggest pulling the engine out and using an engine stand, it makes it much easier than working at ground level.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

Yea, your probably right. Shouldnt be too hard even with taking it out, just time consuming. Usually trying to take a short cut doesnt work well
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

bummer Chris. Hope the rebuild goes well. More importantly, I hope you don't end up beating my consecutive rebuild record (a frustrating and expensive accomplishment to be sure). While you have it apart, why not port the cases (improve internal airflow) and clean up the heads?
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Chris58

Post by Chris58 »

mik_str wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:26 pm bummer Chris. Hope the rebuild goes well. More importantly, I hope you don't end up beating my consecutive rebuild record (a frustrating and expensive accomplishment to be sure). While you have it apart, why not port the cases (improve internal airflow) and clean up the heads?
hahaha I dont know about beating the record. I may port the cases. Also still looking for cams Going to leave the heads on for this job though..

Did you manage to get those pistons in as well?
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

yessir, and bike is awesome (had the cases ported and did a one-off cam set-up too - am running Yoshimura intake cams and OEM exhaust, gives me power right where I want it).
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express