Regulator rectifier

General Bike chat
Wayne1970

Regulator rectifier

Post by Wayne1970 »

Evening everyone, picked up my widow maker today, any info on the r6 swap for the standard Honda regulator, my beauty is a 1997 reg, just wanted to know if I should get the same year r6 regulator ? Many thanks in advance.
MacV2

Re: Regulator rectifier

Post by MacV2 »

Any thig is better than the std honda Honda one of that age...

R6 of that age will still be the same old 'shunt technology' & will not be a straight plug & play...So yo have to re wire... Later modle Storm or CBR 125 will plug straight in but are still old school.

Just please do not but the cheap ones off the bay of evil from china... See pic below.

What you really need is is a Mosfet type one as fitted to most new bikes... Basicaly the old school R/R's produce heat as they regulate the current from the genny. Hence the heat build up & often burnt wires when they fail...

So the later ones & R6 ect have fins unlike the origonal ones, more surface area to disipate the heat but they can still fail !
Burn RR.jpeg
Burn RR.jpeg (56.24 KiB) Viewed 674 times
NOT mine BTW but this is what can happen hence the trem Rectum Fryer...! 8O

Go Mosfet or go home save your charging system, battery & possibly whole bike going up in flames...

No with a mosfet you will need to to re wire as the the plugs are diffrent but it's not that hard to do.

If you frequent Farcebook there is a guy in the states who makes very nice plug & play Mosfet systems with a full wiring harness Eric Marques is who you need to look for...Not cheap but worth it.

Or if your handy with the wiring get a late year Yamaha, Triumph Or I use BMW S1000r ones...
Joe mf 1.jpg
They are much bigger so you need to relocate the indi relay in the pick above the extra box is an alarm but thats been sacked now...

Your choice here with the rewire is to buy a separte fitting kit or you can un pick the the conectors from the old block & just plug in.

What ever way you do it the yellow wires can go in any order but the red & green have to be the right way as is in the pic above Red left, green right... That one is fitted with the fitting kit so wires cut & re crimped with new conectors.

Oh & since when has a Storm been a widomaker ? I think you may have the wrong bike... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...