Getting bike running after 2 years?

General Bike chat
Miztaziggy

Getting bike running after 2 years?

Post by Miztaziggy »

Hey everyone
I hope you're all well. Hoping most of you guys I knew are still around on here, and looking forward to meeting new people when the meets get going again.
I haven't had much chance to read through posts to see what's been going on, though I did see the posts from the Storm Scotland trips I missed and it looked awesome. That was always my favourite one.
I saw the sad, sad news about your brother Al, I was really sorry to see that, I met him a couple of times and he was a great guy.

The last time I used my bikes was when I did the Storm Scotland and a couple of track days in August 18 (edit....omg it was actually August 17!!), I put the bikes away for the winter and haven't moved them since! I got really busy with work and with 2 kids it just got too difficult to get out on the bike.
My brother that I did track days with got a new girlfriend and now getting married, decided it's time to sell. Probably have to wait a few years until he's finished having kids before getting back into it now. Sold the whole lot the other day, really sad to see it all go, but means I finally have space in my garage to work on the VTR.

I re-insured the VTR a few weeks before lockdown thinking I'd get it MOTd and get out on it again. Would have loved to have been out on it during that time with the weather we had and seeing how quiet the roads were. But with the way things worked out, never got time. It's amazing how busy I can be trying to home school with no help from the teachers/school.

The guy that bought the track bikes wasn't bothered about the dead batteries and didn't want to start the bikes. Said it'd cause damage to the engines after being stood 2 years. That got me thinking about the VTR. The battery is dead as a dodo, and I've ordered a new one. I had planned to change the oil, empty the fuel tank and put in fresh. But it got me wondering if I should be doing more after 2 years?
e.g. coolant, brake fluids, check for gunk build up, check rubber hoses, spark plugs?

Any advice on what'll defo need doing and what doesn't would be appreciated.

Cheers all
MacV2

Re: Getting bike running after 2 years?

Post by MacV2 »

Deff change break fluids...

It's worth changing oil & fillter.

Some say take the cam covers off & lube the cams with fresh oil...Save spinning them up dry...

Coolant should be OK but if it hasn't been changed since the bike was new then change it anyway.

If the bike has been standing on concreat & the tires have gone flat they wont be in best condition, check the date stamp on them over 5 years old I'd replace as wouldnt trust them in the wet for sure...Rubber goes hard with age...

Drop the carb bowls off clean out any gunk, if they are really bad soak them in coca-cola...

Fresh fule & run some redex through the first couple of tank fulls...

Ride it & see how it is...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

MacV2 wrote:Deff change break fluids...

It's worth changing oil & fillter.

Some say take the cam covers off & lube the cams with fresh oil...Save spinning them up dry...

Coolant should be OK but if it hasn't been changed since the bike was new then change it anyway.

If the bike has been standing on concreat & the tires have gone flat they wont be in best condition, check the date stamp on them over 5 years old I'd replace as wouldnt trust them in the wet for sure...Rubber goes hard with age...

Drop the carb bowls off clean out any gunk, if they are really bad soak them in coca-cola...

Fresh fule & run some redex through the first couple of tank fulls...

Ride it & see how it is...
Great advice Mac, thank you.

One question though... how would one take off the carb bowels for cleaning? Asking for a friend.

If said friend emptied out the coolant, how would he refill it? Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Take the carbs off, turn them upside down, 4 screws under each carb is the float bowl. Remove & inspect & clean if grobby, to get to the jets remove the float... there is a pin, remove that & the pin & the float comes away. Do one bowl at a time so as to not mix parts up.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... nent-parts

No.5 is the float bowl...

Now the coolant change...

Fairing off, take the rad cap off the r/h rad.

Front of the engine is the lower hose... Have a bucket under that, undo the clamp on one side, pull hose off spigot, drain fluid into bucket or all over the floor if you miss the bucket ... :crazy: On the front of the block below the header is a small bolt head, undo this & more fluid will come out. You'll need to drain the catch tank as well, follow the lowest pipe from the rad to the tank, undo at the rad end & drain it out. Reconect this tube when tank is fully drained.

Pop the bolt back in & push the hose back on...Now flush the system with clean water, use a hose fill at rad cap till full, pull the hose back off drain out, hose back on, refill, drain again, now undo the bolt again leave the hose off & fill back up letting the water just drain out untill its running out nice a clear. Turn off hose pipe, let it drain out... Replace bolt, hose & hose clip.

Fill up with fresh silica free coolant for alloy engines, when its up to the top of the neck, squeez the top hose to burp out any air. Fill the catch tank up to mid way between the lines...

Start the bike & let it get nice & hot, give the top hose a few squeezes whilest it warming up, till the fan kicks in... Let it cool down...cool cool down & check level by removing rad cap, top up if ness...

Let us know how your freind gets on... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

MacV2 wrote:Take the carbs off, turn them upside down, 4 screws under each carb is the float bowl. Remove & inspect & clean if grobby, to get to the jets remove the float... there is a pin, remove that & the pin & the float comes away. Do one bowl at a time so as to not mix parts up.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... nent-parts

No.5 is the float bowl...

Now the coolant change...

Fairing off, take the rad cap off the r/h rad.

Front of the engine is the lower hose... Have a bucket under that, undo the clamp on one side, pull hose off spigot, drain fluid into bucket or all over the floor if you miss the bucket ... :crazy: On the front of the block below the header is a small bolt head, undo this & more fluid will come out. You'll need to drain the catch tank as well, follow the lowest pipe from the rad to the tank, undo at the rad end & drain it out. Reconect this tube when tank is fully drained.

Pop the bolt back in & push the hose back on...Now flush the system with clean water, use a hose fill at rad cap till full, pull the hose back off drain out, hose back on, refill, drain again, now undo the bolt again leave the hose off & fill back up letting the water just drain out untill its running out nice a clear. Turn off hose pipe, let it drain out... Replace bolt, hose & hose clip.

Fill up with fresh silica free coolant for alloy engines, when its up to the top of the neck, squeez the top hose to burp out any air. Fill the catch tank up to mid way between the lines...

Start the bike & let it get nice & hot, give the top hose a few squeezes whilest it warming up, till the fan kicks in... Let it cool down...cool cool down & check level by removing rad cap, top up if ness...

Let us know how your freind gets on... :wink:
Cheers Mac, he'll be really grateful for that info

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

great to see you back on line Chris ... glad to hear the family is growing :D

mac has covered all the bases, taking the carbs off and cleaning the jets might be important if the fuel has gone off. tyres will also be a good investment.

yes, losing Norman was a big shock, still miss him :cry:
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Hey, Ziggy, glad you're back.
Storms cope pretty well with a couple of years layoff, even when you haven't prepared it.
You should be fine re gummed jets and carbs, but you might need to run a couple if tankfuls through before it's back to normal, suggest you run super as it usually contains more detergent additives. Make sure it's a busy garage though, as, like all fuel, it ages with storage time. Fresh is best.

New battery? Yes, might as well get a lithium one as prices are now just double a lead one. A lead one lasts you half as long, and needs topping up during the winter, but a lithium one won't, plus, it saves lots of weight.

Check tyres, the might have started cracking, but should be fine.

Otherwise, as Mac said, fluids and keep an eye on fork seals for the first few hundred miles, as they might start weeping.

And don't forget that you'll be rusty, build up to your former speeds.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Cheers Tony. Glad to see you're still around. Yeah got a pair of tyres to stick on it when I can get to the garage for MOT.

Already ordered the battery sadly, went for lead acid.

Fork seals is a good shout actually, I'll have a look at those.

Glad to see you're still around too Al, hope you're keeping up with the Scotland trips? I only reinsured the bike in order to get it ready for this year's trip. Guess it might be difficult now with all this lockdown / social leper syndrome nonsense.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Miztaziggy wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:29 pm Cheers Tony. Glad to see you're still around.
Yeah but no storm.
Still just about got the SP2, trying to find a way to keep it and the wife at the same time....

But just bought a 19 Tuono, with all the toys.
I'll be there wherever and whenever the next Rideout is.

Bored shi-tless!
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

tony.mon wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 9:59 pm
Miztaziggy wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:29 pm Cheers Tony. Glad to see you're still around.
Yeah but no storm.
Still just about got the SP2, trying to find a way to keep it and the wife at the same time....

But just bought a 19 Tuono, with all the toys.
I'll be there wherever and whenever the next Rideout is.

Bored shi-tless!
Ooo...what happened to the Storm?

Very nice, was the Tuono brand new then? I guess you've posted pics somewhere if I go looking?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Broke the storm for parts; it was worth more that way.
Had the SP2 for over four years now, you sure you've only been gone for two years?

There's some pics of the Tuono somewhere, it's fairly STD apart from a full Akra Titanium system, race map and filter.
It's enough for now!
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

tony.mon wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 11:51 pm Broke the storm for parts; it was worth more that way.
Had the SP2 for over four years now, you sure you've only been gone for two years?

There's some pics of the Tuono somewhere, it's fairly STD apart from a full Akra Titanium system, race map and filter.
It's enough for now!
Ah OK. I think you were having trouble with the Storm last I saw it. You came to the last couple of meets I attended on the SP2. Didn't you sleep with it in your tent? :lol:
Also you brought it to Cadwell didn't you?

Can't wait to chase after you on that Tuono next time out :D
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Was 2017 the day at Cadwell?

When your ready to start it up take the plugs out and turn it over on the battery for twenty seconds before you start it. Your old battery might do for that then you won't need to wait for the new one.to recharge.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

freeridenick wrote:Was 2017 the day at Cadwell?

When your ready to start it up take the plugs out and turn it over on the battery for twenty seconds before you start it. Your old battery might do for that then you won't need to wait for the new one.to recharge.
Yeah I think it was 17. You were there weren't you?

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome back sir.. :thumbup: :thumbup: mac has covered the lot, so is this the green kermy storm?? :thumbup:

get it out and give it a good ragging :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: