Baffle - internal packing, bad idea?

General Bike chat
Mav617

Baffle - internal packing, bad idea?

Post by Mav617 »

So the Black Widow in my XSR is waaaay loud, I bought the corretc baffle, still loud, so I got some fibreglass matting. Added around the outside of the baffle it was too large to fit back in. So I put some inside the baffle itself and secured by winding stainless wire through it. Its okay now, but will it cause any issues with performance/fuel consumption anyone think? The end of the baffle has a small diameter solid plate for the back pressure so can;t see that it would?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
Mav617

Re: Baffle - internal packing, bad idea?

Post by Mav617 »

Packed it internally, really quietened it down. Just as I was thinking it was perhaps too quite I overtook a car going from 50 to 65 in 4th and the XSR blew it out the tailpipe, back to noisy, I'll live with it :crazy:
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Not a good idea then :lol:
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

What are these ghey baffles you talk of :lol: :lol: :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Loud pipes SAVE LIVES get some ear plugs........sorry pardon 😂👍
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

I just went through this on my S4 with a Leo Vince....I ended up adding a 2.5" to 1.5" reducing coupler in between the pipe and slip-on. Parts from the store were about 8$ and it took 30 min start to finish. Interestingly it all fit together snug with need for hardware and quieted it down nicely at mid range/top end where it was most needed.

AV
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I accidentally rebuilt some MIG cans without any baffle material in them. They were a bit loud but I couldn't hear people telling me how loud they were.
Never got a pull, though, if I saw plod I pulled the clutch and killed the engine; they assumed it was one of those electric bikes.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.