Acct's

General Bike chat
Ace VenTRa

Re: Acct's

Post by Ace VenTRa »

eamonn wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:41 am yaaaawwwwwwwwwnnnnnnn.
I'll try to develop better content asap...my apologies.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Ace VenTRa wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:54 pm
eamonn wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:41 am yaaaawwwwwwwwwnnnnnnn.
I'll try to develop better content asap...my apologies.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Carry On Ace. He doesn't have to read them :wink:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

Seconded wholeheartedly!

Carry on Ace, this is properly researched great stuff, can't understand why anybody can be negative about it when all they have to do is not read it.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

You keep going mate, I’m sure the majority find it interesting. We all post things that will appeal to some and not others but that’s the purpose of this format, surely.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Ace VenTRa wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:41 pm Preload is a cinch:

Install the spring
Re-install circlip
wind wind in the adjuster
Insert locking key
Install into bike
Release key and verify that everything is as it should be

AV
That is exactly what a lot of owners were doing when they purchased replacement CCT springs from David Greenwood some years ago.

The spring needs to be pre-tensioned before you start to replace all the associated parts of a CCT. If you do what you have suggested above you will not have enough tension on the cam chain once the CCT is fitted in the engine,

Chris.
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

There really is no way to "pre" tension. Based on the design it's either tensioned or not and the spring only goes in one way. I'm not sure why they were having issues but it's fairly straightforward. And, pre-tensioning is no big deal if that's what you need to do in order to take up slack, after all, it is just a slack adjuster and there is no way to change the amount of force the spring can deliver after a point. Having taken apart and reassembled 6 oem tensioners that are in good working order, and one cbr tensioner in good working order I can say for sure that there is no mystery to the assembly process.

AV
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

This is where things are going to get a bit tricky!
Sirch has been a member forever and is a respected authority on cct's having designed, I believe, the insert mod that prevents excessive movement in the event of spring failure, a now tried and tested solution.
Ace is a fairly new member, but it seems to me that he's got the bit between his teeth on this matter and has consulted with recognised facilities that enable him to put forward a strong argument.
When my front pot started making horrible noises, I wished that I could implement the insert solution, but I was desperate to have the bike rideable again toot sweet, and bodged in a manual one just to tide me over- it's still working fine.
As someone that has yet to properly resolve this issue on their bike, I look forward to the ongoing discussion.
Knowledge is power!
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Preload is correct as when I took one of mine apart I felt the spring twang off. When replaced with untensioned spring there was a noticeable difference when wound up compared to an untouched one. One full turn seemed to do it. It's in the bike now and seems fine with a stopper in each. Just for giggles I took the manuals out to see if the Honda guide noise changed.... Just the same🙄.
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

And there you have it, take up the slack as needed and all is well. I have noticed that not all of the springs are the same length and that would account for the difference in installation.

Also...and this is important...the acct from the factory is also an mcct in a manner of speaking. If you remove the 8mm access bolt with the adjuster on the bike, you can access the slotted end of the adjuster. If you turn that gently and release, it should return all by its lonesome. If it does not return to its home position then two things have occurred:

1.) You just discovered that the spring is broken
2.) You took up slack

A better fail safe would be a longer access bolt that reaches all the way to the back of the slack adjuster. The adjuster could never back out and a smaller 6mm od and perhaps 5mm in length could be inserted in between the new longer access bolt and the slack adjuster. In this manner no removal of the acct is necessary. Only a brief inspection, a depth check, the insertion of a small cheap spring, and the insertion of a longer M6 bolt with sealing washer. Possibly...

AV
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

In fact, that's a damned good idea... a secondary adjuster spring in between the back of the adjuster and the access bolt....I'll start on that idea right away.

AV
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I knew that name rang a bell...

http://viz.co.uk/2005/02/24/8-ace/
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Commando77 wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:30 pm Preload is correct as when I took one of mine apart I felt the spring twang off. When replaced with untensioned spring there was a noticeable difference when wound up compared to an untouched one. One full turn seemed to do it. It's in the bike now and seems fine with a stopper in each. Just for giggles I took the manuals out to see if the Honda guide noise changed.... Just the same🙄.
You're on the right track :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Ace VenTRa wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:50 pm A better fail safe would be a longer access bolt that reaches all the way to the back of the slack adjuster. The adjuster could never back out and a smaller 6mm od and perhaps 5mm in length could be inserted in between the new longer access bolt and the slack adjuster. In this manner no removal of the acct is necessary. Only a brief inspection, a depth check, the insertion of a small cheap spring, and the insertion of a longer M6 bolt with sealing washer. Possibly...

AV
I think I understand you are saying there.

That wouldn't work as the back of the "slack adjuster" as you call it (I would refer that part to the "worm/screw") doesn't move in or out when a spring fails, it only turns around in a circular motion (clockwise) which allows the CCT plunger to retract.

Not a bad idea if it did though,

Chris.
Ace VenTRa

Post by Ace VenTRa »

It would work if...the end of the spring sat in the groove just as the original spring does. Ya know... a spring inside of a spring inside of... :crazy: