Fuel consumption.

General Bike chat
Pezed

Re: Fuel consumption.

Post by Pezed »

So, I ran the bike until the fuel light came on, noted mileage and then ran it until it died. I got 33.4 miles on whatever is in 'reserve'.
Obviously I'm not gonna bank on that in earnest, if I haven't managed to find a garage by 25 miles after the light appears, I'm gonna be puckering!
Next, I filled it to halfway cover the bar- which it did all the way along, pretty flukey I thought- now I sat her upright and filled to the brim. It took a further 0.8 Ltr.
Now I'm riding normally, which I would say is 'spirited' out of towns, but spot on limit in built ups, and I will see how many miles I get to the tank- light on miles plus 30. I just know that it is gonna be a piss poor mpg, but I love the sound and the power delivery and the fact that it is not over revving at 80mph ( 5000rpm iirc ? ) so the bike is deffo a keeper!

Has anybody done a single carb conversion?
I've bought a brc filter for her, I'm hoping it's a decent alternative, anybody use one?

The only good thing about the lockdown is the gratis 'clean bike time' I hope that you are all avoiding the lurgey.
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Luthor1

Post by Luthor1 »

I get 30.5mpg out of mine and it seems to be running fairly cleanly!!

It certainly does like to :beer:
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Getting 30ish to a gallon is one thing, having a painfully small tank is another. The combination of the two is the awkward thing.

I personally don't have an issue with the Storm being thirsty, I'm happy to pay for that sound and power delivery but the range can be a little distracting sometimes...

I'm in the process of looking at having a spare tank modified to see what can be done on that front 😊
Insufferable halfwit.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

MacV2 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:36 pm ... highest ive seen with the light on was 124 I was waiting for the cough..brrrrr clunk but made it to a pump... :lol: :lol:
Resurrected this thread to check others' consumption.

I had a 97 and 98 Storm before this present '98. I was consistently getting 90 to 105 before the light. On this bike I posted somewhere last week I was up to 140, and today, I've hit 170 but still no light. Was worried that the light is faulty, but I can still see fuel swishing around. :eek2 Will add that I fully brimmed it!

Granted that I have been FAIRLY conservative with my riding (to make sure I haven't inherited probs from previous owner) but I am now wondering whether someone might have fitted the later, larger tank? Will know of course when I fill later today or tomorrow. The alternative is that I am more of a fuddy-duddy than I ever would have believed. :(
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

how many liters did it take? from the photo it looks like it is still the 16L tank ….

but even with the 19L tank 170 miles is record braking! is your gearing changed so the speedo is reading too high? how close is speedo to GPS reading?
AMcQ
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:27 pm how many liters did it take? . . .
. . . is your gearing changed so the speedo is reading too high?
Yep, you've nailed it. I didn't even have gearing in the equation. It still has a 41 on the rear but I haven't checked the front yet. In 6th gear at constant 3,000 revs, bike is doing (per speedo) 57 -58 mph. My measure trip to my closest fuel stop is 8.2 miles. The VTR reading was 13.0 :eek2 .

At a round figure factor of 62% higher, my fuel stop reading of 181 miles would realistically be 112 miles which is what I'd expect. Bike took 12.01 litres to brim.

I'm a bit peeved previous owner said nothing about this, but then again he might have been a bit clueless. I did oil change last week and I reckon it hadn't been done in his three-year ownership. Went to do brake fluid change today and one of the rear reservoir screws has stripped in the thread. New one coming from eBay.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The rear Res captive nuts are often a problem.
A replacement Res or the tube HRC kit fixes it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.