old git

General Bike chat
haynesjones66

old git

Post by haynesjones66 »

so i'm 60 this year and my left hip and both knees are a bit knackered. i sold my storm last year as we needed quick cash and my intention is to buy another in the spring. but i have to admit that the slightly cramped position on the storm is comfy on the move but my knees protest a little after a ride out. i have been looking at VFRs but for a weekend toy, it seems unnecessarily complex. i've tried different bikes over the last several months such as aprilia tuono (too upright), rsv4 (too cramped), r1m (awesome but cramped), big bang (pretty close) but i liked my storm and it's a good fit generally. i've looked at peg dropping on the superhawk forum but it seems a bit limited by the pipes being in the way. the bars can be raised so that's ok. most of my mates suggest buying an upright bike but my hip joint dictates a sportsbike style. anyone dropped their pegs on here?
Wicky

Re: old git

Post by Wicky »

Yes - you can drop footpegs by an inch or two with cnc adapters - however while you can adjust the gearlever to suit, the rear brake lever hasn't height adjustment.

"comfort" kit

As for bar risers there are a multitude of options if you have a search
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

do you feel the difference in the knee department?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Dunno I can't feel my knee as when they they did the op (fem pop) they had cut through nerves so leg/skin sensation is a bit numb!

I tried riding with the staples in and after getting chousers on got to the end of the road and found I couldn't change up the gears. So took the staples out and got footpeg lowers fitted and back on the road with improved leg movement but still not 100% - that was a few years back. Also got a Translap for day-to-day riding and had a Triumph Tiger both for the comfier riding position. Storm has been relegated more for special occasions now.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

oh my word! i feel a bit queasy now! that looks painful and i'm impressed youre still riding. hope it improves. if you lived closer i would come and try out the storm for size but youre like at the end of the world...
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

If its what I think it is I had it done end of 2011..120 staples? ..small toe fell off 🙄 but leg works OK.. It bends fine but I do get more cramp in it. It was use able after 6 months but that was on the norton then. Not a lot of use to you...sorry..
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I have a similar knee problem plus vertebra fractures at three different times and places (plus various other injuries). I can't ride Adventure bikes, by back is crippled within minutes due to the upright seating position. I need to be canted forward. I've got 1" dropped pegs on the Tuono and it's perfect. Without the dropped pegs I was getting leg cramp. Amazing what one inch will do.

I'm surprised you found the Tuono too upright.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
haynesjones66

Post by haynesjones66 »

the tuono is the most bonkers bike i have ever ridden, but they aint cheap. i would also have to fit lower pegs and use rsv bars. i need to be canted forward too, as my hip is worn at the point where i sit upright.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Yup, the V4 Tuono makes more power than the RSV4 until just over 10k revs. The RSV4 makes its 200+ HP by revving to 13k and beyond. Something you rarely want to get into on the street. It's a mid range monster. Expensive? Yes. But I don't want to die with money in the bank.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 pm Yup, the V4 Tuono. Expensive? Yes. But I don't want to die with money in the bank.
I still want to be in your will, I could get some spares out of the wreckage. :silent:

Anyway, they're not that expensive, and when I bought mine I got a week and a half of silence from the other half thrown in for free.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Anyway, they're not that expensive, and when I bought mine I got a week and a half of silence from the other half thrown in for free.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: