TL1000R

General Bike chat
uk13iker

TL1000R

Post by uk13iker »

To Cut a long story short I was in Spain last week and the roads were amazing made me want a bike again. So been looking and close to buying a TL1000R should I? Anyone had one or ridden one? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kenmoore

Re: TL1000R

Post by kenmoore »

Be careful,

They can have lots of problems.

Water pump seals are finicky and troublesome as well as the back shock.

Get a Storm mate.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If I was looking for a Suzuki TL1000R or TL1000S I would try to get one with the rear suspension already modified, as I understand it they do away with the rotary damper etc,

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

sirch345 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:25 am If I was looking for a Suzuki TL1000R or TL1000S I would try to get one with the rear suspension already modified, as I understand it they do away with the rotary damper etc,

Chris.
I think the mod is an R1 shock.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
firestorm_al
Site Admin

Post by firestorm_al »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:54 am
sirch345 wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:25 am If I was looking for a Suzuki TL1000R or TL1000S I would try to get one with the rear suspension already modified, as I understand it they do away with the rotary damper etc,

Chris.
I think the mod is an R1 shock.
TL1000S has the rotary damper set up which requires a special replacement.

Both of the bikes wil make the FireStorm feel like a touring bike.

If you really like the engine and want a distance machine then consider the V-Strom istead.

Al.
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Thanks for reply’s I’ve always liked them but whenever I read magazine or journalists reviews puts me off, but then owner reviews always seem to talk them up. Probably like the storm if you’ve never owned or ridden one you wouldn’t realise how much of an underrated bike they are. More than likely be buying the TL Saturday did want another storm but couldn’t bring myself to pay more for what I sold mine for then pay out for mods again so trying something different was considering a SP but more than what I’m willing to pay.

uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Oh and hoping this means I will be back at op storms on 2 wheels again

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

uk13iker wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:09 pm Oh and hoping this means I will be back at op storms on 2 wheels again Image

:thumbup: :thumbup:

hope to see you in yorkshire on the TL
AMcQ
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Not been on here for a very long time, but I have owned a red TLs and I have to say it’s the best bike I have owned for many reasons. I also read the reviews which slated the bike to bits, but I went and test rode one for myself, I got so carried away I was away for nearly an hour. Such an underrated bike, I brought there and then and rode home from Mitchell’s Inverness. It’s was a 2000 model I think?. Anyway, got on the forums and made the mods needed. I left the rear shock as is, but dialled it in to where it was best suited for me. Get a set of yoshies or M4 full exhaust, it needs it as the standard set is restricted and weedy. Get a set of mtecs tyres on this baby and your ready to shame gsxr and r1 riders. I loved mine and wish I never got rid of it, but I did thinking I was getting a better bike an R1, but it was no where near as fun or smile factor as the TLs. Get yourself to the TL forum, where there is a lot of info and sensible mods that do make a difference to make this an already better bike. I tried to get another TLs but went for Aprilia RSV, good bike and very capable, but it never had that smile factor knowing your taming a beast. The VTR is a very different bike and cannot be compared to the TLs, very different engine characters and handling. Not knocking the VTR, as it’s a cracking bike but having a TLs was like beast and every time you rode it you respected it and took it a little harder, faster and the grin factor got bigger. But that’s my opinion. Some people will be offended but its my experience. If I had the room I would have one again. Enjoy :D
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Well decided to go for it probably get a hagon rear shock meant to be straight swap and a improvement also will change fork oil and springs then get it all set up right will get ASV levers and that is hopefully it picking her up in the new year can’t wait for op storms next year. ImageImageImage

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

She looks mint :D
I've always liked them and now, being a twin, they are turning into a modern day classic and quite a head turner.
I think you'll like it :D
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Thanks Pete I’m looking forward to riding her and getting rid of the start of year aches on the wrists, (good weather rider problems) takes a few rides haha. Think I only went out on the vtr once this year for a short ride before selling both bikes so can’t wait to be back on 2 wheels.

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Oh Yes
she'll take a bit of getting used to. I feel it now after every time I've done a decent distance on the SP. It's all my fault of course, I'm just not using it as much as I did.
Don't worry, yer a bit younger than me you'll soon get through the pain and get the body retrained :thumbup:
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

uk13iker wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:12 pm Well decided to go for it probably get a hagon rear shock meant to be straight swap and a improvement also will change fork oil and springs then get it all set up right will get ASV levers and that is hopefully it picking her up in the new year can’t wait for op storms next year. ImageImageImage

My favourite colours for Suzuki 8)
Going by the photo's she does look clean and tidy :thumbup:

Chris.
uk13iker

Post by uk13iker »

Yes she is clean just touched 23k miles I don’t do a lot of miles only did 5k in 5 years on my vtr so won’t go up too much. My thinking was or wishful thinking is if I come to sell her they have gone up in value or at least break even, I do think they will slightly increase