I've broken it again....

General Bike chat
bigbadjonno

I've broken it again....

Post by bigbadjonno »

Did about 40 miles tonight without much issue, although it did seem to sound like it had developed a blow on the exhaust (difficult to tell, ART cans and ear plugs...) then, pulled up to a set of lights and it cut out. Not normal, so thumbed the starter and she fired up and died straight away. Tried again, she won't tick over.
Kept the revs up enough to pull over safely and have a look, can't see much wrong, so increased the tick over speed and rode home. Missing and farting through the carbs on a steady throttle and the popping on the overrun is like machine gun fire. On full throttle she's fine.
Checked what I can with tank/bodywork in place, nothing obvious. Any ideas??
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: I've broken it again....

Post by sirch345 »

If you still have the standard OEM CCT's (cam chain tensioners) may be one has failed. The front one is more prone to failure than the rear,

Chris.
bigbadjonno

Post by bigbadjonno »

Yeah, it's on standard CCT's, but no rattles? They were new around 2500 miles ago.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bigbadjonno wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:18 pm Yeah, it's on standard CCT's, but no rattles? They were new around 2500 miles ago.
They dont rattle they just fail...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I doubt what you are discribing is anything to do with a CCT going pop, sounds more like a massive air leak with popping & banging...Check all the exhaust joints & the headers flanges...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bigbadjonno

Post by bigbadjonno »

There is a leak on the exhaust where the rear header enters the 'manifold', looks like the clamp has let go. Didn't think that would cause so many issues though....
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

After having a bit more think about it I'm inclined to go with Mac. I think you would be hearing a metallic noise from one cylinder if a CCT has failed.

Best get the exhaust leaks sorted out first and see how it's running then,

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

bigbadjonno wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:29 pm There is a leak on the exhaust where the rear header enters the 'manifold', looks like the clamp has let go. Didn't think that would cause so many issues though....
The bike will be blowing like someone trying to play the trumpet after visiting the dentist with a gobfull of local anaesthetic!
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Check the vac line or lines are still connected and un split.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.