Loving the bike... but what just happened?!

General Bike chat
8541Hawk

Re: Loving the bike... but what just happened?!

Post by 8541Hawk »

Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
moby78

Post by moby78 »

Removing shock was easier than I thought :lol:

The lower mount needle bearing and dust seals are all good too.

Part of me thinks I should get all the bearings replaced in the pivot arm and link arm since they’re off the bike, but they’re all intact and moving freely so maybe I’ll just repack with grease? What do you reckon?

When I move the needle bearings some feel a little “gritty” and some have some play side to side.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

It's water ingress that kills the bearings. They don't wear out rotationally. If some feel gritty then something has got past the seals. I would suggest new seals at a minimum. Cheap and easy to do. That will retard any degradation. Replacing the bearings can be a difficult job and is obviously more expensive. I did mine and swore a lot.

I did a quick job on mine but felt the need to do a complete job a year later.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
moby78

Post by moby78 »

Bearings now being replaced :)

Have a quote of basically £200 to overhaul shock - I think buying a new replacement after market is the way to go - any recommendations for a good replacement? They seem pricey here and I’m back in the UK end of September for a week so may pick one up there...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

moby78 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:46 am - I think buying a new replacement after market is the way to go - any recommendations for a good replacement? They seem pricey here and I’m back in the UK end of September for a week so may pick one up there...
Already posted up the best deal you are going to find on a top quality shock.....
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
moby78

Post by moby78 »

Can’t seem to post a reply or PM the seller...
Any ideas?!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

moby78 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:40 am Can’t seem to post a reply or PM the seller...
Any ideas?!
Yes read the Forum rules...You need 50 posts to be able to access all the site & PM's
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
bertye

Post by bertye »

I know this might sound mad, but you say you had it towed away. Presumably strapped down to a trailer or truck. As it was fine before that, and looking at the picture on the bike, the forks look twisted (admittedly hard to tell from photos) which could of happened at that time. Even a small twist will course problems as the wheel go's up and down as it is steering the wheel left and right as it cork screws up and down the legs.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

bertye wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:44 pm I know this might sound mad, but you say you had it towed away. Presumably strapped down to a trailer or truck. As it was fine before that, and looking at the picture on the bike, the forks look twisted (admittedly hard to tell from photos) which could of happened at that time. Even a small twist will course problems as the wheel go's up and down as it is steering the wheel left and right as it cork screws up and down the legs.
Was the photo taken before or after the breakdown ?
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
moby78

Post by moby78 »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:08 pm
bertye wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:44 pm I know this might sound mad, but you say you had it towed away. Presumably strapped down to a trailer or truck. As it was fine before that, and looking at the picture on the bike, the forks look twisted (admittedly hard to tell from photos) which could of happened at that time. Even a small twist will course problems as the wheel go's up and down as it is steering the wheel left and right as it cork screws up and down the legs.
Was the photo taken before or after the breakdown ?
Are you referring to the very first photo? If so yes, it was after my rear tyre puncture and it was strapped down to bring it home - shown with the new tyres fitted here. This photo is before that ride I believe, when all was still well.

Didn’t mention it here but after the initial checks of all possible issues I followed the correct tightening sequence and checked alignment with rear wheel (using the string technique) it was a little out of alignment - very easy to get it slightly wrong! However the test ride was after this and the issue was still there.

Anyway update as from weekend is that I’ve refitted the linkage with new bearings, seals etc and the bike is fantastic now - well chuffed :)

Thanks for the assistance all - really appreciate it.