Loving the bike... but what just happened?!

General Bike chat
moby78

Loving the bike... but what just happened?!

Post by moby78 »

Haven’t posted much since I got the bike - ridden around 1k km now and loving it :D

Had a ‘mare a few weeks ago when I had a rear blow out, but with a sh1t load of luck I didn’t loose control and just had to wait 5hrs in the pissing down rain to get towed home :lol:

Today was interesting... the bike performs well in the wet with newly scrubbed PR6 and I was even talking to myself (we all do it, right? :crazy:) saying how much grip do I have?! However this didn’t last long,,, I was going around a right corner around 120km/hr and suddenly the front and rear felt as if they become separated (if that makes any sense!) and the bike “bucked” a little :wtf: I assumed I rode over a tar strip and it was just a little slippery :lol: however this really spooked me and I was pretty tentative all the way to work.

Riding home tonight was interesting :lol: the ride felt quite rough (through the handlebars and seat - not the engine :lol:) and throttle response wasn’t as sweet as normal. It was a little wet, nothing scary, but the bike ran wide several times and it felt very slippery - completely opposite to normal. I pulled over, checked what I could with the wheels, tyre pressures etc. and all was fine. However for the whole ride home it felt as if the front and the rear weren’t connected - it felt like I was on a completely different bike and that I was riding on ice :wtf: . I had zero confidence everywhere and ended up riding home at 60km/hr or so :lol:

Finally got home and have warmed up... and I’m thinking it maybe the rear shock... would this make sense?
Attachments
E37E4769-D11A-43D4-9F47-F0AEE9E7C92D.jpeg
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Loving the bike... but what just happened?!

Post by sirch345 »

A good idea to check out the rear shock as you suggest, plus linkage and swingarm bearings. Also check steering head bearings.

Take a look at this topic. Split linkage due to lack of maintenance :- viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11809

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

it can also be psychological, if you are relaxed and happy to push, you get more feedback from the tyres, once you tense up and don't push as much, you get less feedback about grip, and you start to feel al lot of what you think are little slides.

confidence and the power of the brain can make a huge difference!
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Also depending where you're riding - UK presumably - recent hot weather follwed by rain can make it slippery

Ease back into riding building your confidence back up, getting feel again and not overing do it.

AFTER THE HEATWAVE, SLIPPERY ROADS WARNING

Forecasted rain this week could make roads slippery after the heatwave warns the Road Surface Treatments Association (RSTA).

There are two reasons why motorists should slow down and drive with care on roads that are wet after a heatwave. Firstly, during periods of prolonged hot weather the bitumen in asphalt roads becomes more mobile and can sometime ‘bleed’ through to the surface. This reduces the texture depth and wet skidding resistance. In extreme conditions, like those experienced this summer, councils will apply grit to the road surface to increase its skid resistance. Secondly, dry roads often have a build-up of rubber and oil particles. When it rains these substances can mix with water and create a greasy layer that can become very slippery.

“Wet roads after a prolonged hot, dry period can become slippery. In addition to ensuring that their tyres are in good condition and properly inflated, motorists should slow down and drive with care”, warned Howard Robinson, RSTA chief executive.

He continued: “Just like the freezing and ice of the winter, summer’s high temperatures underline how essential it is to ensure that roads are maintained to a correct standard. Unfortunately, continued cutbacks to highway budgets means that councils cannot afford the necessary programmes of long-term maintenance and surface dressing to ensure pothole-free, skid resistant roads.”
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
moby78

Post by moby78 »

Cheers guys - actually in NZ.

Although it could be in the head, never had it to this extent before and every time I tried to relax and rode normally it slipped again.

I’m convinced it’s mechanical so will check out what you’ve suggested and check that link. In terms of rear shock - see pic - does the shock look normal? Looks a little short :lol: How else can I check it? When I bounced the rear of the bike it returned to normal position.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

The Workshop Knowledgebase > *** IMPORTANT*** Swingarm and linkage bearings servicing***

PR6

Michelin Pilot Road? 2, 3, 4, 5??

Check the date codes in case old uns or close to best by have been supplied & fitted.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

What pressure are you running in the tires? Also have you checked them lately?
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

8541Hawk wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:29 am What pressure are you running in the tires? Also have you checked them lately?
I'm with Mike on this one. The only time I ever had my bike develop an apparent hinge in the middle, my rear tire was low on pressure (had a slow-ish leak). Kind of freaked me out at the time (I had covered over 1000 km already that day and had another 200 to go)
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
moby78

Post by moby78 »

Right spent some hours on the bike today checking what I could, then took it for a test ride :D

Before I started checked pressures - 34/40 so all good there 8)

I first raised the bike and check steering head bearings - all good. I checked the front wheel bearings, solid. I then removed and refitted wheel and followed the correct tightening procedure and settling of the axle :) fork stanchions look fine, no oil residue or any obvious issues. Forks pump normally.

I then moved to the rear, checked alignment, wheel bearings and re-adjusted chain slack. All good :thumbup: I then looked at the linkages and they all *looked* good... the torque marks on the bolts and nuts all lined up and nothing looked wrong obviously :)

Reviewed suspension settings - haven’t touched them since I bought the bike. All standard settings and didn’t change them :D Weather much better, blue sky and dry roads so I took it for a run.

First impressions is that’s a real harsh ride in the seat - as you feel a bump through the bars it feels harsher over the rear wheel. If there is a rough patch the bike feels unstable. If the road is smooth around a corner it feels okay (just okay, not as smooth as before), but any bumps and it’s unstable and the rear feels like it’s sliding and the steering becomes less precise.

There is definitely something amiss and I’m blaming the shock. What do you guys think? See pic - I’ve not taken a close look at the shock before and assuming this is normal?

I’ve no experience with removing rear shocks or testing them - but I suspect I need to get it rebuilt or maybe buy a replacement after market one. I used to have a Maxton on my Falco. I’m in the UK in a few weeks so may take a look (cheaper than here I suspect). Other than bouncing the rear of the bike up and done and looking for oscillations, what else can I check?

moby78

Post by moby78 »

Oh - and they’re PR5!
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

I would'nt bother testing the shock,just bin it and buy a trusted new one......
Then get it set up by a tech.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Interesting. Could the linkage be badly seized but not showing any external indications? If not, it must be the shock?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

have you had the rear of the bike of the ground, as in all weight taken of the rear wheel and checked for play in the linkage? it may look ok from the outside but a needle bearing could have fallen to bits inside and its a common problem on vtrs.

if you dont have oil running outa the shock and its returning to full extension without, pinging back up its prob grand, or as grand as a standard shock can be, my yellow one dumped its oil in the space of about a mile but the rear of the bike was covered in oil so easy to spot.

swingarm bolt still tight?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

As a matter of cource you should at least strip and inspect the shock linkage bearings - you won't be able to see what's going inside just by looking externally at em. When were they last looked at? - I'd guess 20 years ago when it was assembled at the factory.

Stock shock is overly hard,, with front forks squidgy soft - plenty of choice on aftermarket alternatives Which Rear Shock ????

moby78

Post by moby78 »

Thanks for replies guys, appreciate it.

Just checked swingarm pivot bolt - already nice and tight (93Nm) :thumbup:

Having read some info here about linkages I’ll remove them as per manual and see how I go. I noticed some links on here to a procedure with some photos, but all photos look like dead links? :wtf:

I’ve only ever had the rear up with the paddock stand under swingarm :D I’m assuming when you refer to having the rear up I should do it like you would with an ABBA stand? Loved those stands, but don’t have one with this bike so can jack up under the engine with a front paddock stand to check for any play in the swingarm.