chicken strips

General Bike chat
felix barrao

chicken strips

Post by felix barrao »

One question about the " chicken strips" on my tires.
Both tyres are metzeller sportec M3. ( So, tought to be used at the same time). Street normal use.
Why so big difference between front and rear?

"Edit " I mean that the rear one is used almost upon the limit, but the front seems to have a lot of margin already
Attachments
sc2.jpg
sc1.jpg
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Re: chicken strips

Post by Pete.L »

Not trying hard enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pete.L wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:37 pm Not trying hard enoughImage

:lol: and when you fall off you'll blame Pete :wink:

Chris.
Beef

Post by Beef »

I did read somewhere that the differences could be down to suspension not being set up 100%, I think it could also come down to geometry of the bike.
I know my Buell is similar differences to what you have, my Multistrada is very close to matching...... I've never looke don the Storm!
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

2 things:
- tyres have different profiles, so yes there will be different wear patterns
- Most importantly, is the actual direction your front tyre is in when you are leaned right over, the "counter steering" the front does when you are pushing it through the bends, so they are not actually facing the same way.

but thats just the theory part, I have no idea in reallity as I want a refund on my tyres cause the edges never get used ......
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Grumpy got the answer ... its a different profile between the back and the front tyre, and each make of tyre will be slightly different
AMcQ
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Plus different tyre widths as well as profiles...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
felix barrao

Post by felix barrao »

There was just curiosity, being both Metzeller Sportec M3, I expected a more equal wearing.

And, probably suspensions are not in the correct settings, finally the seller refunded to me the money of the defective YSS rear shock absorber, and I have reinstalled the old one.. Not too much difference between both anyway..
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Here's my take on what's going on...

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Wicky, can you move the second drawing so that the contact points on the road is at the same possition, would be interesting to see that to see how far up the tyre it goes?
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Adding to what Grumpy and Wicky have said my thinking this is also down to the way most of us ride, especially on the road.

As Joe Punter we're far more comfortable gassing it than braking hard so the rear gets deformed more than the front. On the brakes the weight on the front deforms the tyre and the flat spot means the edges are closer to the tarmac. Add high corner speed to that and you get closer to the same wear as on the rear. But who rides like that on the road FFS. Or even the track. Getting on the gas takes weight off the front too so the tyre isn't deformed and the edges are way off the tarmac.

The shots of the front tyre in top level racing show how much it takes to get the edges in contact with the ground.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

felix barrao wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:36 am There was just curiosity, being both Metzeller Sportec M3, I expected a more equal wearing.

And, probably suspensions are not in the correct settings, finally the seller refunded to me the money of the defective YSS rear shock absorber, and I have reinstalled the old one.. Not too much difference between both anyway..
Good to know you got your money back :thumbup:

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

grumpyfrog wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:02 pm Wicky, can you move the second drawing so that the contact points on the road is at the same possition, would be interesting to see that to see how far up the tyre it goes?
From our Superhawk brethren... :eek2

The darkside is about installing a car tire on a motorcycle. Something considered nutty by many. But loved by others.

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Never mind wtf... why the f...?

My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Well if you read the comment section, anyone who uses motorcycle tyres on a motorcycle is ignorant, stupid, a snowflake, gender diverse and votes for Hilliary.