Carb rebuild woes... Won't rev past 3k

General Bike chat
bigbadjonno

Carb rebuild woes... Won't rev past 3k

Post by bigbadjonno »

Soo, long time coming, first ride today after the winter rebuild.
Forks - lovely.
Swinger/shock linkage - lovely.
New Michelin PR4 - lovely.
Carbs..... Not so lovely. I stripped them originally due to age and the low speed fuelling was awful.
Spotlessly clean when rebuilt. All standard, standard needles, jets etc. They're like new.
Put it all back together. Balanced the carbs, set the fuel screw using the idle drop procedure in the Honda workshop manual. The low speed fuelling is now sublime, like I remember my original 'Storm being.
But.... Get to 3k and it just won't go. No power at all. It will eventually get to 9k rpm, but it's not happy.
Now, I've not touched the plugs (new last year) or the cam timing (sorted when I bought the bike due to previous owners attempts at cam timing...).
So, any ideas, before I go crawling to the local spanner man? It's definitely carb related, but not sure where to start.
fabiostar

Re: Carb rebuild woes... Won't rev past 3k

Post by fabiostar »

god i feel your pain i really do. mine had problems a bit like yours and i changed everything but the garden gate and it didnt help. mine has for some reason cleared its throat on its own.. clean as the carbs are i would go back into them again just incase dirt from the tank has made its way into them.. sorry cant be of more help but its a starting point, and junk your plugs.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Have you put the vacuum pipe on the petrol tap on the right outlet (assuming you have the earlier version bike with 16ltr fuel tank). The outlet you need sticks out to the side of the tap, not the drain outlet that points down to the ground, although I wouldn't have thought it would rev to 9K if that were the case, even if it is eventually,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

or the cam timing (sorted when I bought the bike due to previous owners attempts at cam timing...).
Have you ridden it since then?
==============================Enter the Darkside
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Sounds like one of the carb slide diaphragms isn't seated properly. :wink:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
bigbadjonno

Post by bigbadjonno »

VTRDark wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:19 am
or the cam timing (sorted when I bought the bike due to previous owners attempts at cam timing...).
Have you ridden it since then?
Yeah, done a couple of thousand miles since then. Not touched the motor, just carbs.
bigbadjonno

Post by bigbadjonno »

sirch345 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:12 pm Have you put the vacuum pipe on the petrol tap on the right outlet (assuming you have the earlier version bike with 16ltr fuel tank). The outlet you need sticks out to the side of the tap, not the drain outlet that points down to the ground, although I wouldn't have thought it would rev to 9K if that were the case, even if it is eventually,

Chris.
Cheers Sirch, 19 litre tank on mine (2003 bike).
bigbadjonno

Post by bigbadjonno »

8541Hawk wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:02 am Sounds like one of the carb slide diaphragms isn't seated properly. :wink:
Yes.... Thought had crossed my mind. Perhaps I should have run it up with the airbox off first... :roll:
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

bigbadjonno wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:23 am
8541Hawk wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:02 am Sounds like one of the carb slide diaphragms isn't seated properly. :wink:
Yes.... Thought had crossed my mind. Perhaps I should have run it up with the airbox off first... :roll:
No need to start, just remove the filter, open the slides fully, release, and check if they return the same time or for some unusual sound.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

When you took the carbs off for cleaning, did you stick a rag down the intakes?
Did you take them out again?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigbadjonno

Post by bigbadjonno »

Stephan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:08 am
bigbadjonno wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:23 am
No need to start, just remove the filter, open the slides fully, release, and check if they return the same time or for some unusual sound.
Yes, did that a few times. They both seemed to be fine, unless of course they've both got the same issue 8O
bigbadjonno

Post by bigbadjonno »

tony.mon wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:37 am When you took the carbs off for cleaning, did you stick a rag down the intakes?
Did you take them out again?
I used some plastic caps that I found, so definitely not left in there :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Clearly something wrong, it won't fix itself, do strip and rebuild.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bigbadjonno wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:20 am
sirch345 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:12 pm Have you put the vacuum pipe on the petrol tap on the right outlet (assuming you have the earlier version bike with 16ltr fuel tank). The outlet you need sticks out to the side of the tap, not the drain outlet that points down to the ground, although I wouldn't have thought it would rev to 9K if that were the case, even if it is eventually,

Chris.
Cheers Sirch, 19 litre tank on mine (2003 bike).
:thumbup:

Chris.
bigbadjonno

Post by bigbadjonno »

Just an update on this, should anybody ever reference it in the future.....
I'd not got the diaphragms seated very well for the slides so they weren't opening.
Once I'd remembered the correct way to install them (with that goddam spring....) they were fine.

Originally I'd installed them by inserting the slides into the carbs, then the springs, then the caps. Nigh on impossible and hence the above result.

Much easier to insert the springs into the cap spigot, place the slide assembly into the cap with the diaphragm rib sitting on the cap, then inserting the whole kaboosh into the carb. Tricky to guide the needle in whilst holding back the spring, but much more reliable way to get the diaphragm to seat correctly.

D'oh.