Carb rebuild woes... Won't rev past 3k

General Bike chat
8541Hawk

Re: Carb rebuild woes... Won't rev past 3k

Post by 8541Hawk »

There are a couple "tricks" to installing the diaphragms but even when you have done way too many of them you always need to check to make sure they are seated properly :thumbup:
Push the slide up and listen for the air being pumped through the chambers and let them go to make sure the don't just slam shut....again listening for the air movement.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
bigbadjonno

Post by bigbadjonno »

Honestly thought they were OK when I built the carbs, they were both doing the same thing and seemed to be closing fairly quickly, but not exactly slamming.
The leak must have been absolutely tiny.

Hey ho, sorted now! Lesson learned.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

bigbadjonno wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 6:57 pm Just an update on this, should anybody ever reference it in the future.....
I'd not got the diaphragms seated very well for the slides so they weren't opening.
Once I'd remembered the correct way to install them (with that goddam spring....) they were fine.

Originally I'd installed them by inserting the slides into the carbs, then the springs, then the caps. Nigh on impossible and hence the above result.

Much easier to insert the springs into the cap spigot, place the slide assembly into the cap with the diaphragm rib sitting on the cap, then inserting the whole kaboosh into the carb. Tricky to guide the needle in whilst holding back the spring, but much more reliable way to get the diaphragm to seat correctly.

D'oh.
Glad you got there in the end :clap:
Thanks for the update :thumbup:

Chris.
kawa

Post by kawa »

I owned a vfr 400 fd and I learnt to remove a VAC pipe off of one of the cylinders as a theft deterrent, it meant the bike would run for a few minutes then cut out as it needed this pipe to pump/open the fuel loop:/
Does the VTR have a similar arrangement vac fed fuel? as we all know it is gravity fed and has no fuel pump?
PS why the hell is the fuel tap tucked way out of reach?? :wtf:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yes it has a vac hose to the under tank fuel tap on early 97-01 model
PS why the hell is the fuel tap tucked way out of reach??

Because of the above - If you need to manually turn the fuel tap closed without using a spanner you can fit a knob from Varadero fuel tap onto the VTR's fuel tap , undo two bolts and prop it up to get at the tap in a jiffy.

Tank hose wise you can fit quick release fittings for fuel, drain & breather hoses to improve access.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts