Airbox Mods

General Bike chat
Beef

Airbox Mods

Post by Beef »

Been trying to find info on airbox mods - found a link to the Superhawk forum that
Had the filter mounted in the lid - I like that idea. There was also a reference to a mod done by Roger Ditchfield but I can’t find anything here! Can anyone point me int he right direction?
MacV2

Re: Airbox Mods

Post by MacV2 »

Try the search funtion...

Top right of this page...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

The filter is mounted in the lid as stock :confused
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:20 pm The filter is mounted in the lid as stock :confused
The air filter in the lid MOD means cutting away most of the lid, you just keep the lip around the edge with the fixing holes in it of the lid. So basically the air filter top is open to the air.

IIRC Micky (mik_str) runs one on his very modified Storm,

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:50 pm
jchesshyre wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:20 pm The filter is mounted in the lid as stock :confused
The air filter in the lid MOD means cutting away most of the lid, you just keep the lip around the edge with the fixing holes in it of the lid. So basically the air filter top is open to the air.

Chris.
that which you speak of, Chris, is Roger`s set-up (trim lid and leave 10mm ring all around to keep the filter in place). My set-up is different, as I removed the filter panel from the inside and mounted the filter element into the actual lid (thereby increasing internal volume and clearance above the stacks, for better airflow).

As for info, I posted a lot of it here and on the superhawkforum... one need only search for it
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Is there a basic mod that can be done to an otherwise stock engine? I remember reading somewhere you trim a certain part and it smooths out the bottom end but now i cant find it. ...or maybe it came to me in an opium dream.. not sure.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

Look up the Burnie Morgan mod...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Regarding Roger lidless airbox, it has potential of 5-7 bhp on rear wheel with stage1 engine (higher cr, more agressive cams, etc ...). But on std engine, there will be lot of headache only.

For std engine, I would clear the tank for crankcase breathers and use external pod filters, try to use different filters (incl removing traverse part in upper lid), and maybe experiment with different stacks.

There is added benefit that on cleared lower airbox it is much easier to work on carbs.

Cannot comment filter in lid mod on std engine, somebody have to try.
Beef

Post by Beef »

MacV2 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:10 pm Try the search funtion...

Top right of this page...
Used that - that’s where I got the link to the Superhawk forum.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Stock, the filter is sandwiched between the base & lid of the airbox.
Beef

Post by Beef »

Stephan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:57 am Regarding Roger lidless airbox, it has potential of 5-7 bhp on rear wheel with stage1 engine (higher cr, more agressive cams, etc ...). But on std engine, there will be lot of headache only.

For std engine, I would clear the tank for crankcase breathers and use external pod filters, try to use different filters (incl removing traverse part in upper lid), and maybe experiment with different stacks.

There is added benefit that on cleared lower airbox it is much easier to work on carbs.

Cannot comment filter in lid mod on std engine, somebody have to try.
Thanks, I may look at fitting the K&N filter I have in the lid (& sealing original air inlet)so that the whole airbox is filtered air...... but if she runs really well tomorrow- I may do nothing 😆
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:18 pm
sirch345 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:50 pm

Chris.
that which you speak of, Chris, is Roger`s set-up (trim lid and leave 10mm ring all around to keep the filter in place). My set-up is different, as I removed the filter panel from the inside and mounted the filter element into the actual lid (thereby increasing internal volume and clearance above the stacks, for better airflow).

As for info, I posted a lot of it here and on the superhawkforum... one need only search for it
Thanks Micky for clarifying that, I appreciate it :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

mik_str wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:54 am Look up the Burnie Morgan mod...
:thumbup: :beer:
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

What would you guys say about this air filter? The whole thing is filter area as opposed to the small rectangle you normally get.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/TfcAAOSw ... s-l500.jpg
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The filter area on a standard one causes no restrictions so increasing it makes no difference.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.