Airbox Mods

General Bike chat
Stephan

Re: Airbox Mods

Post by Stephan »

I run pipercross on stg1 engine, but it takes some time to get it work. KN filter should be a bit better for low end and midrange, but I like the feel of clear free revving engine I have never achieved with KN.
Roger Ditchfield

Post by Roger Ditchfield »

PiperX filters are difficult to set up in the mid range but it is not impossible by any means. To improve the efficacy of K&N filters you can wash them thoroughly in degreasing agent to remove all the oil and run them completely dry.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Cheers guys, Sir Roger. Im not chasing any extra power so i'll just go with whatever is esier to tune, im guessing stock filter?
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Ok it seems the PO already has a Pipercross filter installed, (i should have known lol since they are so cheap to buy and effective looking) so probably goes some way to explaining why the fuelling isnt quite as crisp as it could be,, my understanding is the guy he bought it off got the Yoshis dealer fitted and jetted going off the reciepts and whatnot, but the guy i bought it off went on to do a bunch of other stuff but never took it to a mechanic.
Should i put a paper filter in before i take it in for a carb tickle?
Is it right to buy a Chrysler?
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Depends of what you have inside carbs, there must be some changes otherwise engine would run with lot of backfires and rev stalling.

For aftermarket cans, I would start as follow,

Pipercross: 48 pilots 2.25f 2.5r turns out, 182f 185r mains, needle washers 1mm and 1.5mm. (Dynojet needles groove 3 plus 0.5mm from top and rear groove 4 from top)

Paper: 48, 2+2.25, 178+180, needles 0+0.5mm.

Oem cans: one size of main jets down.

First I would play then is needle position.

I think pipercross is worth to try, jets you need are similar price to paper filter.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Stephan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:36 am Depends of what you have inside carbs, there must be some changes otherwise engine would run with lot of backfires and rev stalling.

For aftermarket cans, I would start as follow,

Pipercross: 48 pilots 2.25f 2.5r turns out, 182f 185r mains, needle washers 1mm and 1.5mm. (Dynojet needles groove 3 plus 0.5mm from top and rear groove 4 from top)

Paper: 48, 2+2.25, 178+180, needles 0+0.5mm.

Oem cans: one size of main jets down.

First I would play then is needle position.

I think pipercross is worth to try, jets you need are similar price to paper filter.
That's awesome info. Yeah she backfires a lot on over-run and idle is a bit "how ya goin" Still has the Parc system in place tho.
Wher do you generally go to source a jetting kit? I'll have to do a bit of reading up on how to tune carbs as i'm completely wet behind the ears in that department.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Search for bertye he makes pairs removal kit.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I see you are from oz,

main jets ebay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Keihin-Main ... ctupt=true

pilots
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Keihin-N424 ... XQUF5RY6SZ

At first you need to go into carbs and find out what you have there (jets, needles), or maybe buy paper filter as it seems jetting is untouched ...
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Stephan wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:47 am I see you are from oz,

main jets ebay
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Keihin-Main ... ctupt=true

pilots
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Keihin-N424 ... XQUF5RY6SZ

At first you need to go into carbs and find out what you have there (jets, needles), or maybe buy paper filter as it seems jetting is untouched ...
Stephan, you are a gentleman and a scholar. I'm led to believe the 1st owner had the Yoshimura pipes and jetting dealer fitted and the next owner would have fitted the Pipercross filter, which is showing signs of degradation, and to be honest, even though i have cleaners and oils for foam filters on hand its a sh1t of a job and would rather just chuck a nice clean paper filter in there. There wouldn't be much measurable power difference would there?
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:46 am Search for bertye he makes pairs removal kit.
Cheers mate. Ive got the next week off so might tackle it in coming days, but will probably end up making my own block off plates as it might be quicker since im in oz.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

difference between Pipercross and paper filter could be 1-3 bhp on rear wheel :) I don´t know what would I choose, always been fan of paper filter, but in case of vtr, there is gain when you change the filter.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Cheers mate. to be honest i wouldnt know the difference 2 hp would make. If the paper filter doesnt net an improvement in smooth crispness on the butt dyno I'l roll up my sleeves and delve into the jetting.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Ok so i chucked a Genuine Honda air filter in ($$$ 8O ) and reckon i picked up 5hp everywhere and all the smoothness and response, lol best powermod ive ever done. Didnt even do the Bernie Sanders mod, thankfully the PO kept the little rail piece that screws in a box with all the other oem parts that came off the bike bless his heart! Might Bernie it at a later stage, might not.
Sorry about the threadjack Beef, as you were...
Beef

Post by Beef »

It's all airbox nods :wink: