If not a Firestorm, then ??

General Bike chat
DonVulpes

If not a Firestorm, then ??

Post by DonVulpes »

I know this will seem odd to post here, but if you could only have one bike and there wasn't a decent Firestorm available, what alternatives would you look at ?

Tall rider ( 6'2" ), bike to be used mostly for fun on days out, occaisional tour ( week or so ) and commute. Not a fast rider, but wants to be able to hustle a bit when needed. Bike must be reliable, well put together and cost no more than £3000 from a dealer ( my spannering is still too poor to pick a lemon from a private sale ) without having starship mileage.
E.Marquez

Re: If not a Firestorm, then ??

Post by E.Marquez »

1983 VF750, 1985 GPZ550, 1984 RZ350
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

CBR600?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Any VFR that doesn't have "VTEC" or an FZ1
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
bertye

Post by bertye »

Well I have a VFR800 VTEC and it is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden and so stable at speed. Fuiling is perfect. I have deleted the PAIR's system along with a K&N filter, but seemed fine before being done. Standard exhaust ( just for a couple of more days) then it will have my own handmade rear unit. It is down to your own preference and reading write-up.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Well, if you're happy with it, stick with that one.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I would probably go for a VFR800 too,

Chris.
jchesshyre

Post by jchesshyre »

If you can find a nice one, a Honda Bros 650 a.k.a. Hawk GT in America. 647 cc 52° V-twin, single-sided swingarm - cool bikes (I had the 400cc Japanese import version).
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

bertye wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:35 pm Well I have a VFR800 VTEC and it is the smoothest bike I have ever ridden and so stable at speed. Fuiling is perfect. I have deleted the PAIR's system along with a K&N filter, but seemed fine before being done. Standard exhaust ( just for a couple of more days) then it will have my own handmade rear unit. It is down to your own preference and reading write-up.
I am glad you are happy with it but when asked what would I personally own I would stay away from the VTEC bikes for a couple reasons.

First, for me, they are rather sluggish down low. So I am not really comfortable around traffic in that I don't feel I have the throttle response or acceleration of a big bike or I am running at high rev's all the time to keep the VTEC engaged.

Second, have you ever tried to set the valve lash on a VTEC bike? I'll just leave it at that.

Third, A VFR should have whine from gear driven cams. Without it things just don't seem right, again to me.

So while they are good bikes, these are the reasons I would be happy with a VFR, just not a VTEC VFR. :plainsmile
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
popkat

Post by popkat »

FZ1 is good choice you can get the N with no fairing or the S-Fazer with top fairing. for £3k you'll get one with 20-30000 miles.. valve clearances are at around 26k so the best buy is one that has proof they've been done, I've done a few and all have needed some shims changing. Try and avoid an 06 model as they had jerky fueling and a hard rear shock spring, from 07 all sorted though.

VFR I've had a few. gear driven cam pre v tec has lots more character, the v tec models got refined, early ones had hiccup as the v tec cuts in and out as the on/off point was too close together. 07 onwards is smoother but they are so smooth they lost their sole, the are pretty heavy too and the weight is still felt on the move. Also as they went to cam chain for this model they suffer cam chain tension failures..
First of the 800's 1998-2001 were the last gear driven cam versions of the VFR, the sound lovely are a bit lighter, make a little bit more power. look for the downpipes to have been changed to stainless as the collectors rot out and can be a little awkward changing V four pipes.. you'll get a 1998-2001 800 for £1200-2500, the top end should be low mileage and mint.
VFR 750, the last of the 750's was also a very good bike, bit soft on suspension but prettier than the 800. values are rising so you'll pay £2.5k upwards for a good one.
All VFR's are reliable apart from usual reg/rec issues and they can have the odd problem with the main earth unit which is all bunched together hidden in the wiring, if lights or indicators do odd thing find the earths and clean them up.

I have an FZ1-s Faser for sale at the moment, it's above your budget but it is so mint it's like new, has only 7400 miles, 2008 grey. no issues whatsoever, but it's £4900. more than you want to pay but I'm convinced it's impossible to find a better one.. don't worry on this one about buying from a dealer, although it's private I own and run a motorcycle workshop.
it might not stay the way if i decide to use it though as it would become my wet weather bike, seems such a shame so offering it for sale first.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Try an nc700, just about top end on your budget, rather an all rounder but they can hustle when needed, so is the mt07, UKBiker can move his around when in the mood.
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

Pan. I am on my second
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

StuartWags wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:37 am Pan. I am on my second
They don't last very long, do they.....

Still, fast enough when they are in good nick, hence the Japs naming it after a flying Pan.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

Whats a pan?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts