Your top speed

General Bike chat
VT1000r

Your top speed

Post by VT1000r »

What's the fastest you've gotten the vtr up to, any mods? Anybody pass the 160mph mark?
Last edited by VT1000r on Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
grumpyfrog

Re: Your top speed

Post by grumpyfrog »

No where near that from me.
Fastest on the Storm only about 130, for some reason top end on the Storm is just not what matters and never realy feels comfortable. Been well above that on other bikes including having a bit of a small bladder moment on my mates Bussa on a very quiet road way up North, sorry on a private track.... :wtf: .
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
VT1000r

Post by VT1000r »

grumpyfrog wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:59 am No where near that from me.
Fastest on the Storm only about 130, for some reason top end on the Storm is just not what matters and never realy feels comfortable. Been well above that on other bikes including having a bit of a small bladder moment on my mates Bussa on a very quiet road way up North, sorry on a private track.... :wtf: .
Lol, private track wink
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

It's all academic really. You need a gps app as the speedo is inaccurate (and you shouldn't be looking at it at those speeds). Wind strength and direction? Up/down hill? Big fat bloke or skinny girly?

On a road bike (or even a race bike) the gearing is not set for top speed but for other factors. Can't see the point...
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VT1000r

Post by VT1000r »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:24 am It's all academic really. You need a gps app as the speedo is inaccurate (and you shouldn't be looking at it at those speeds). Wind strength and direction? Up/down hill? Big fat bloke or skinny girly?

On a road bike (or even a race bike) the gearing is not set for top speed but for other factors. Can't see the point...
Very good points you make.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

I hit the rev limiter with 16/43 gearing, that is about 250 km/h. 120 bhp engine.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

70mph ... Officer...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

on a private track late one night mine went over the 160 pulling 16/40 gearing on a gps speedo.. then i cleaned my trunks out :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
popkat

Post by popkat »

Saw 160 on track with slightly altered gearing which makes the speedo inaccurate and read fast. standard engine, Arrow end cans, dynojet kit and k&n filter.

On a standard geared bike they run out of puff about 150mph, the last 5mph takes a while so not worth hanging on really, realistic on a stock bike or one with end cans is 145-150mph

Any claims of much higher are either BS or the engine has had work or the gearing changed and not accounting for speedo error.

Figures are on the speedo not GPS but most speedo's are out about 10% so 150 would be a real 135-136mph... Sounds a bit disappointing but remember all other bikes have speedo inaccuracy too.

Also worth noting they won't pull full revs in top gear hence with a tuned engine Stephan can get a higher top speed.

Although they won't pull full revs in top I don't believe altering the gearing makes them better for the road, it just makes for too much engine braking in the first few gears which makes it harder to ride, I also found that going any more then 1 tooth up on the rear makes them less good for the track as you get more rear wheel lock up changing down gears. A slipper clutch would help this and allow a wider range of gearing.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
Shinyharley

Post by Shinyharley »

Approx 1 mph (in reverse) so far as it was wheeled out the back of a van.

Hopefully when I sort the carbs it will be a little quicker :lol:
Newly acquired 1998 VTR1000F, 2014 MT-09

There is very little in life to beat a motorcycle ride, followed by a very cold beer and a nap
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Shinyharley wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:42 pm Approx 1 mph (in reverse) so far as it was wheeled out the back of a van.

Hopefully when I sort the carbs it will be a little quicker :lol:
Still thats faster than a Hardly Davidton... :wink: :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

My bike hits rev limiter on 6th relatively easily, it doesnt took ages. 280 is on the dash and around 250 in reality. I agree 16 41 can be better on track, especially when engine has more power, but I am just used to this gearing on the road, gears make more sense to my riding style.
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I did the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
Jasmine

Post by Jasmine »

Mine would be about 140 on the firestom... on the blackbird i done around 150 and then I stopped incase I killed myself. Lol
wombles your Honda Civic, I've a horse outside..
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Well not to ruffle any feathers but.....In it stock condition my bike would run up to around 9700RPM before saying she was done.
After a set of slip-ons,some of the emission stuff fell off :shh: and some carb tuning my bike had no real issues pulling to the rev limiter(10.3K) when I still had one.

Also one would also need to know if the bike in question was a first gen VTR or one of the later ones with the clock. I say this because the early bikes made 5 more BHP which can really help on the top end.
Yes you can do the research but the early bikes were dyno'ed at 105hp while the later models tested at 100hp

Now for true top speed, you can't trust the speedo for a couple of reasons.....and at the rev limiter it is buried past 180mph.
Now all speedos read slightly fast but reason why the error gets bigger as speed increases is a phenomenon called "tire slip"

This is also why if you go to a site like "Gearing Commander" the math says the VTR should have a top speed of 183.4 with stock gearing at 10.3K RPM.
Yet it is well published that a VTR tops out at around 160mph at the rev limiter. That almost 13% difference is due to tire slip.

What tire slip actually all means is that in order to create the traction needed to propel the bike forward the rear tire must produce friction with the road.
It does this by spinning slightly faster than the bike is actually moving. This is why the center of the rear tire wears at a much faster rate than the center of the front.
Also the faster you go, the more traction is required to drive the bike forward, so the tire slips more.

So IMHO the top speed of these bikes is right at 160MPH. Some of the race bikes might have a touch more, as I have seen rev limits to 10.7K but that might add 5 MPH or so.
The main advantage of the built engines is not more top end, they just get to the same top end much quicker.
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.