No coolant in carbs?

General Bike chat
bigbadjonno

No coolant in carbs?

Post by bigbadjonno »

Excuse me if I'm being a bit daft, but I've taken the carbs off a couple of times now and not once had any coolant (not even a drip) out of them, nor the pipes that feed them.
Am I missing something? Coolant reservoir is full, all bled, bike runs fine normally, except its a tad rough, hence the carbs off for a clean.
Am I missing something? They are supposed to have a coolant feed aren't they?

Cheers

Jon
tony.mon

Re: No coolant in carbs?

Post by tony.mon »

Yes, they are.
There is a feed pipe to the thermostat body from the smaller stub on the water pump. It's to stop carb icing in cold weather.
Suggest you check that the pipes are not blocked; if they are it will be deliberate as there's nothing that will block them normally.

One thing to note- there is a blind stub on the thermostat housing- it is capped off, but hard to see. the stub to connect it to is the open one, obviously...

But unless you ride in icy weather, it will not cause a problem if capped off.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
bigbadjonno

Post by bigbadjonno »

Cheers Tony.
Can't understand why somebody would block it intentionally.... But, there's nowt as queer as folk.
Will check it out next time I'm out the garage.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

a lot of carbs are like that. just block the spigots on the carbs and run a pipe from the thermostat over to the pump, job done, as tony said unless you ride in the ice heated carbs arnt needed :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: