Vacuum hose blocked

General Bike chat
benjaxon63

Vacuum hose blocked

Post by benjaxon63 »

I have a 1998 VTR1000. I love it. Recently the front pot stopped working, it had become increasingly hard to start and did backfire a few times. Then the front barrel stopped powering the bike. Compression was good, spark was good. I stripped the carbs and on top of the diaphragm I found a bit of burnt foam, which may have been enough to clog the hose and therefore not allowing the slide to work. I can't imagine where this is from as the filter is paper and quite new.
Has anyone else come across this issue?
My next move is to check the hoses and rebuild hoping it leaps back into life.
Cheers. Ben

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MacV2

Re: Vacuum hose blocked

Post by MacV2 »

The airbox has two sub fillters. These can degrade & potentialy get sucked in. Lift top & fillter off & check...Item No.'s...10.

https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/hon ... ir-cleaner

FILTER, SUB-AIR CLEANER
17254-MBB-000

Clear out any old stuff & repalce with new or if your a tight butt/on a budget/in a real hurry...cut up a green pan scourer or get some aquarium fillter foam...

It may have been pulled through & is blocking the carb, so give them a good clean.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
benjaxon63

Post by benjaxon63 »

WOW I so didn't see them when I stripped it down. Off to buy some and some carb cleaner
Thanks very much, I have no doubt that will be the issue.
Ben

benjaxon63

Post by benjaxon63 »

On the left is what's left of the front carb vacuum filter. The rear isn't much better.
Great stuff, with thanks for your help. BenImage

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

As the foam is open cell, allowing air to flow through, even bits of foam shouldn't have obstructed the flow through the vac line. I think your problem will be elsewhere, but it costs nothing to try...good luck!
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.