Triumph Daytona

General Bike chat
Kev L

Triumph Daytona

Post by Kev L »

To my eternal shame I have never owned a proper old school British bike. When I started riding the Japanese had more than a foot in the door, rather they had fully entered the premises, rogered the British motorcycle industry, wiped their d1ck on the curtains and evicted them!!
So now as I near 60 I have the offer of a Triumph T100T Daytona on a G plate 68/69. Do any of the older members or those working in the industry have any observations on this model?
The bike is owned by a mate of mine from work, was rebuilt 30 years ago, just before he bought it.
I sort of fell in love with a 70 Daytona when I was a 14 and working in a bike shop in Lower Sydenham. Pushing the maroon, grey and gold pin striped bike in and out every day was a pleasure. However when I got to 16 I was seduced by a Fizzy then a Gt250 and a succession of Japanese (mainly) bikes.
So good idea or not?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Stratman

Re: Triumph Daytona

Post by Stratman »

I had one, back in the day. Metallic purple with open megaphone exhausts. I'd have it back like a shot, hoping that modern gaskets and goo could keep it oil tight :-)
You have to rev them surprisingly hard. Had to sell mine as I started playing in a band and there was no room for a Marshall stack on the pillion seat :lol:
Two bikes, still only four cylinders!

alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I've had two of them back in the day and wish i still had one.As stratman says about the oil.You will need a drip tray under the engine.Great bikes though.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Sold my commando last year after 20 yrs and 50k miles. A lot more go than a Daytona 500 but you'll find it a nice little ride if you treat it for what it is, 34hp in a busy little package. (I've seen them specd at 41hp which is ambitious!) Saying that I started my Brit bike era on a 350 triumph with 18.5hp! It would do 85 indicated but took a while getting there. Other than decent joint faces and proper use of gasket too (not red hermetite) they benefit from a decent breather using a one way valve cheaply bought from net. It will have a camshaft timed breather but they can't keep up with hard use.....well not in my experience. Handling is good with the twin tube frame. The early single tubers didn't like cornering on a closing throttle. Watch out for knackered amal carbs, poor front brakes and bodged forks, often fitted with parts from various eras. A nice little bike but the 650s are more fun :D
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

A tray under the engine of an old British bike is a little like have a little window in the crankcases, it lets you know there is oil in the engine :lol:

On a more serious note. Many years ago I have owned quite a few different old British bikes, three of which all used Triumph 650 parallel twin engines (one Triumph 650 Thunderbird and two Triton's), although unlike the bike you're interested in Kev the Daytona mine were the "pre-unit" versions, that means the engine and gearbox were both separate. The Daytona with the gearbox and engine in one unit are known as "unit construction". Either designs are not hard to work on, although the "pre-unit" is easier I.E. if you need to replace the mains and bigend bearings you can strip the engine down without needing to touch the gearbox. In actual fact you can leave the gearbox in the frame, remove the clutch and clutch housing then remove the engine. With the "unit construction" the whole unit (engine gearbox and clutch) needs to be removed from the frame and stripped down to replace mains and bigend bearings.

To answer your question Kev, it depends on what you are hoping to do with the bike or expecting from it :?:

Old British bikes are nothing like modern machinery in anyway, not even close to our Firestorms in build quality or reliability, although I thoroughly the enjoyed the years I spent with mine. I learned a lot about them, even if I were often working on them when some of my mates turned up on their Japanese bikes to see if I was going for a ride out.

Going by my old Triumph 650 "pre-unit" engines (although I have heard the 500cc engine is better), they do vibrate a lot. Fine when pottering around town etc, but out on the open road keeping up with the national speed limit they do vibrate rather a lot. That must be why the Japanese built balancer shafts into parallel twin engines, so as to reduce the vibrations.

A bit like our Firestorms, Old British bikes do have a magic sound all of their own, an unmistakable exhaust note. They have character by the bucket loads whatever that is :wink: :D

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Thanks for your comments chaps. The Trumpet will be in addition to the Storm and the GT250, so just a high days and holidays ride. If I get it at the price we’ve been discussing it should leave me a little room to sell it should it turn into more of a nightmare than a dream!
I can’t imagine I’ll be trying to wring it’s neck too much, got the storm for that.
:thumbup:
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Duffy1964

Triumph Daytona

Post by Duffy1964 »

Go for it Kev, take a nostalgic ride down memory lane, if you don’t like it you can ride back to the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That’s true enough mate. At the moment pootling around with the Mrs on the back to a parallel twin soundtrack has a rosey glow to it. Might be different when she’s shouting about being stranded miles from home when it breaks down!!!!
:lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:20 pm Thanks for your comments chaps. The Trumpet will be in addition to the Storm and the GT250, so just a high days and holidays ride. If I get it at the price we’ve been discussing it should leave me a little room to sell it should it turn into more of a nightmare than a dream!
I can’t imagine I’ll be trying to wring it’s neck too much, got the storm for that.
:thumbup:
In that case it should be fine for what you're intending it for :thumbup:

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Kev L wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:17 pm That’s true enough mate. At the moment pootling around with the Mrs on the back to a parallel twin soundtrack has a rosey glow to it. Might be different when she’s shouting about being stranded miles from home when it breaks down!!!!
:lol:
In that case it should be fine for what you're intending it for :thumbup:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
AMcQ
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

ImageImageImage

Picked her up today. Sweet little thing. Thanks for the advice all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

that looks like a nice bit of nostalgia :thumbup:
AMcQ
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Suit you Sir...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 5:02 pm that looks like a nice bit of nostalgia :thumbup:
The Mrs or the Trumpet?? :D
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

That's a very nice looking bike :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN