Paint or tape for visor?

General Bike chat
sirch345
Site Admin

Paint or tape for visor?

Post by sirch345 »

Does anyone have any experience of what type of paint or sticky tape I can safely use on my crash helmet visor :?: I need something that is not going to damage the visor in anyway just in case I need to remove it if doesn't work.

I want to try closing off the gap between the top of the Pinlock insert and the top of the helmet opening, IMHO the Pinlock insert should be sitting higher on the visor so there would be no gap. The gap is approximately 6mm to 8mm only.

Cheers,

Chris.
jchesshyre

Re: Paint or tape for visor?

Post by jchesshyre »

I guess masking tape would be a safe option, and is available in black which would look quite neat.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Electricians Insulation tape, and the good thing is you can pick any colour, plus it works great for a sun block, which is very useful at this time of year with the sun being so low.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Twinpotter

Post by Twinpotter »

Aye, as Cheekykev says. I've a top and bottom strip on much of the year. Despatching in the 80's, many of us put (colour to suit) tape and scissors in a pouch in topbox/under seat. The trick was to find the type of tape that was a little flexible so it could be stretched a little when applying with the sort of adhesive that doesn't leave too much of a mess when pulled off and wasn't too sticky on the edges of the tape. We left a wee tag on it so it could be pulled off easily.
Starts with a R. Rrrrrrrr. Motorbike!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

jchesshyre wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:53 pm I guess masking tape would be a safe option, and is available in black which would look quite neat.
That's interesting, I didn't know you could get 'black' masking tape :thumbup:
cheekykev wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:18 am Electricians Insulation tape, and the good thing is you can pick any colour, plus it works great for a sun block, which is very useful at this time of year with the sun being so low.
I thought you might know Kev after the mod you did to your Storm headlamp :thumbup:
Twinpotter wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:48 am Aye, as Cheekykev says. I've a top and bottom strip on much of the year. Despatching in the 80's, many of us put (colour to suit) tape and scissors in a pouch in topbox/under seat. The trick was to find the type of tape that was a little flexible so it could be stretched a little when applying with the sort of adhesive that doesn't leave too much of a mess when pulled off and wasn't too sticky on the edges of the tape. We left a wee tag on it so it could be pulled off easily.
Some nice tips there and in detail too :thumbup:

Thanks guy's for your advice, very much appreciated :D

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well guys I can hardly believe it :crazy:
I had been debating whether to re-drill the visor, or re-cut the slots in the Pinloc Insert in an attempt to raise the Pinloc Insert up higher on the visor.

I got the black electrical insulation tape out and covered up the gap between the top of the helmet opening and top of the the Pinloc Insert (which is between 6mm to 8mm). My way of thinking after contemplating the best thing to do with this situation, is that in a car you pull the sun visor down and your eyes automatically adjust to the different lower line of vision. So why can't I do that on the bike, it had to be worth a try :eh:

I'm very pleased to say this has transformed the helmet, I can hardly believe what a difference this has made, absolutely amazing :D
Talk about sometimes the simplest of things can be the best :thumbup:

I don't think the insulation tape looks too much out of place either with the rest of the black on the helmet.

See photo's below:-

One very happy chappie,

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

When I was riding for a living I cut a length of black plastic about 8” or so long, then pushed it between the shell and lining. It did the same job as the tape but is easily removable.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Just refrain from trimming your eyebrows for a week or two, that should do it.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

If you’re a Gentleman beyond a certain age you can plait together your ear, nose and eyebrow hair to form a useful peak!
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:25 pm One very happy chappie,

Chris.
Yes, now you can see what I was trying to tell you when I posted up, it not only fils the gap, it also acts as a sun screen, really handy at this time of year.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

cheekykev wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:16 am
sirch345 wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:25 pm One very happy chappie,

Chris.
Yes, now you can see what I was trying to tell you when I posted up, it not only fils the gap, it also acts as a sun screen, really handy at this time of year.
I certainly can Kev :D
Many thanks for your advice mate :clap:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:31 pm When I was riding for a living I cut a length of black plastic about 8” or so long, then pushed it between the shell and lining. It did the same job as the tape but is easily removable.
I must admit I hadn't thought about doing that Kev.
I can see how that would do the same thing as the tape, but easier to remove as you say :thumbup:

Chris.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:36 pm Just refrain from trimming your eyebrows for a week or two, that should do it.
Kev L wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:55 am If you’re a Gentleman beyond a certain age you can plait together your ear, nose and eyebrow hair to form a useful peak!
:lol: :thumbup:

Damn I should have thought about both of those :wink: :lol:

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

If you fancy having a go Chris I used an old black plastic flowerpot. Nice n cheap and the right size to give you a couple of go’s at it :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:05 pm If you fancy having a go Chris I used an old black plastic flowerpot. Nice n cheap and the right size to give you a couple of go’s at it :thumbup:
I like it Kev, thanks for the tip :thumbup:

Chris.