2004 Vtr1000 firestorm battery issue

General Bike chat
Csimmo

2004 Vtr1000 firestorm battery issue

Post by Csimmo »

Hi guys,.

2 months ago I have purchased a 2004 firestorm with 20,000 miles on it and loving the bike so far
On the bike switch gear there is no Lights on/off switch and just a blanking plate so light always stay on , the bike also has a datatool veto alarm (not sure if this info is relevant)

I noticed after my bike has been left for a few days / week I would attempt to start it and notice that the lcd display has gone blank / time display has reset and bike won't turn over or start,

I have purchased an Ctek battery optimiser which has sorted this problem whilst been stored , however yesterday I was left stranded for hours after going for a short run out for 5 miles, I left the ignition on / engine off for 5 mins whilst on the phone and to stop alarm automatic rearming, I went to look at the time on the display to find the display dim and it had reset again .... I knew what was coming... and bike would not even turn over,

I managed to get a jump Start, this morning I have put a meter across the battery ignition off and is reading 12.8 v, on turning the ignition on/engine off the Voltage will steadily drop to about 12v after just a couple of minutes(bear in mind headlights stay on) ,

On starting the engine the battery voltage will read approx 12.7 and will gradually rise to about 13v after a minute

Has anyone else had similar issues, Does this appear to a charging or battery issue? , I have been quoted £75 for a Yuasa YTZ12S using my halfords trade card.

Thanks in advance

Craig
MacV2

Re: 2004 Vtr1000 firestorm battery issue

Post by MacV2 »

The light on perm is a USA thing if the the switch gear is without the option to switch the light off is the give away. US bikes run with the headlight on dipped permanatly. Unfortunatly you cant retro fit a UK switch as the plug is different.

As for the battery it may be it's dropped a cell, you can get it tested but if thats the case it's a new battery required.

The alarm may well be draining the battery whilst it's not in use which wont help...If it was mine I'd remove the alarm.

The later bikes with the HISS system also have a drain on the battery as the light on the dash flashes thus drawing power.

Stick a new batt on it fully charged it should be in the 14V range when engine running if it's not then suspect the reg/rec is on the way out. If it is the battery will not recharge whilst bike running.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Csimmo

Post by Csimmo »

Thanks for the reply,

In relation to the Reg /rec I've used an online tutorial to test it with a multimeter and appears OK, mine has an additional aluminium heat plate which is separate and it's finned, I did not realise how hot they can get after just a couple of minutes of the engine running the reg/rec was red hot to touch

Intresting to hear about the switch gear as thought it was a UK bike as was from a UK dealer previously and I purchased it and based in Cheshire / uk

I will replace the battery as not sure how old the existing battery is and its condition, don't fancy getting stranded again this is 2nd time, 1st time was on Hill so managed to bumpstart it

Craig
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

13 volts isn't enough, so there's something wrong with either charging system or battery.
A new battery might be needed, but my money's on the reg rec or a faulty earth
Basics firestorm, are the battery terminals tight, and is the earth Lead good?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
cheekykev

Post by cheekykev »

Csimmo wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:51 pm Intresting to hear about the switch gear as thought it was a UK bike as was from a UK dealer previously and I purchased it and based in Cheshire / uk
As mentioned above It sounds like It's not charging correctly, but something might also be draining your battery down, or even a bit of both, alarm maybe, I took mine off they're a pain in the A-S-
Don't get too worried about the UK / US thing, I'm almost sure that Honda stopped fitting head light on-off switches on these bikes in 2003, there will be a blanking plate where the switch would be If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will be on soon to correct me.
All I can tell you is that I had a mate who had a 2002 SP2 and he had a switch, I have a 2003 SP2 and it has no on-off switch, just low and high beam switch, and mine is definitely a UK bike.
Like what you do
Do what you like
He who wonders isn't always lost
Csimmo

Post by Csimmo »

Thanks for everybody's replys

Well I've gone around all the grounds / earth's and checked them all and used a small wire brush on both + and - terminal leads
Just fitted a slight larger battery a yuasa YTZ14S and now the bikes on the Ctek charger overnight, it had an Exide ETZ14BS on before, the Yuasa was three time the price not sure why, anyway all been well hopefully that will fix it!... Will report back

Just to sort out the constant backfiring on the overrun too!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Csimmo wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:51 pm Thanks for the reply,

In relation to the Reg /rec I've used an online tutorial to test it with a multimeter and appears OK, mine has an additional aluminium heat plate which is separate and it's finned, I did not realise how hot they can get after just a couple of minutes of the engine running the reg/rec was red hot to touch

Craig
With that description the rectifier sounds a bit suspect to me, unless I'm now too familiar with my MOSFET with only very minimal heat build up. Although of course the alternator would be working overtime if the battery voltage is very low as yours was, so it may be normal.

When you check out the charging rate tomorrow at the battery be quick, as if the rectifier is on the way out the new battery could get damaged,

Chris.
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:30 pm The light on perm is a USA thing if the the switch gear is without the option to switch the light off is the give away. US bikes run with the headlight on dipped permanatly.
not just a USA thing, they used the same switchgear on uk models from 2004 onwards, it was among the final updates on the vtr.
I hope you sort out the charging issue.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
Csimmo

Post by Csimmo »

Hi guys

Well after charging the new yusa battery overnight on the Ctek
The battery showed a reading of 12.9 v and started first push of the button

On engine idle showing a steady meter reading of 14.4v

When revved and at about 5,000rpm reading actually lowers to 13.6v - 13.8v

How does this sound?

Craig
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Sounds good to me. How hot is the RR?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Csimmo

Post by Csimmo »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:34 am Sounds good to me. How hot is the RR?
On that question not too sure as fitted the tail fairing back last night, I will certainly keep an eye on it and will redo the meter results after a run out and everything been upto tempature to see if that effects it, my tail fairing appears to be missing those little black plastic clips underneath, are they easy to get hold of?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Good to hear it is starting better - prior to winter clean up and apply some silicon grease on electrical connectors, earths etc. If you have a garage and use the bike infrequently the little Ctek charges work wonders. And if you really want to spoil your new storm treat it to a MOSFET R/R.

I don't bother with the plastic connectors as they seem to be one-time use only, same ones are used on the front fairing panels (again I don't bother) but you can get pattern panel clips online or in Halfords.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

The positive supply to the starter motor sits under a rubber cap. Right at the front, perfectly placed to accept all the crap thrown at it. It's a popular point of failure. I fill my rubber cap with red rubber grease and then squidge it back on.

You know you want to....
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Csimmo

Post by Csimmo »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:02 pm The positive supply to the starter motor sits under a rubber cap. Right at the front, perfectly placed to accept all the crap thrown at it. It's a popular point of failure. I fill my rubber cap with red rubber grease and then squidge it back on.

You know you want to....
Just been and done this thanks and it was pretty bad , the rubber cap despite a tight fit was full of dirt and rust, for now I've cleaned it up and wire brushed all the rust off, I've had to use wd40 and copper grease in the cap until I buy some red rubber grease,
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Csimmo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:28 am Hi guys

Well after charging the new yusa battery overnight on the Ctek
The battery showed a reading of 12.9 v and started first push of the button

On engine idle showing a steady meter reading of 14.4v

When revved and at about 5,000rpm reading actually lowers to 13.6v - 13.8v

How does this sound?

Craig
That sounds good to me as well :thumbup:
Csimmo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:45 am
KermitLeFrog wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:34 am Sounds good to me. How hot is the RR?
On that question not too sure as fitted the tail fairing back last night, I will certainly keep an eye on it and will redo the meter results after a run out and everything been upto tempature to see if that effects it, my tail fairing appears to be missing those little black plastic clips underneath, are they easy to get hold of?
You should be able to slide your hand, well fingers at least in over the rectifier without having to remove the tail plastic's iirc, make sure you don't burn them if it's hot :wink:

Chris.